• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Unless I'm imagining it didn't he play for the scumbags at one point?
Yup. **** was playing for them when they knocked us out of the 94 FA Cup. Won 3-1 at Highbury after a replay.

EDIT: Should say that (IIRC) Notlob were third tier that season too, so was particularly galling.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Awful move for him IMO. Bolton but not Celtic?
Given that he met with representatives from Celtic in the summer, the offer couldn't have been that attractive to him.

I'm glad he didn't come back up here, seems to be quite a good manager.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They were in the second in 94, same as us.

One of my favourite anecdotes came that season, in October 93 they came to PP and if we won we went top, whilst they were in lower-midtable. We duly beat them, and our ever impartial PA says at the end

"Well done Tranmere, top of the league! As for Bolton you lot are....hang on I'm waiting for the teletext to move to the next page....ah there you are, 16th! Nevermind!"

Did they beat Liverpool as well that season?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love how a holding midfielder isn't top of the list anymore.
Song - Beast, WAG :wub:

Edit : Rosicky isn't going anywhere then.
Aye, he's been our best player this season along with Cesc and Gallas. Going on current form I'd say Diaby can fill the void for a month or so no problem. He's always had,power,pace,technique and drive but he's never been able to utilise all of those attributes at the same time. Being injury free recently and getting a run in his prefered position is doing wonders for him. Please stay fit Abou, if he does we have some player on our hands; he changed the game at Upton Park, coming on against a tiring team his brutal force and drive was impossible to deal with.

That said it'll take a collective effort to keep the midfield balance at the same level in Alex's absence. A lot of our flair players are going to have to sacrifice to make it happen properly.

Happy for Tommy to get a new deal. Obviously is a pay as you play type of contract at reduced terms but we've lost so much quality experience for little keeping him around is a good idea. If he is fit(yes I know) he is such a classy player and him, Cesc and Arshavin in the same team with a base of powerful players like Song and Diaby is a mouth watering propect. Wish him well, he's a top bloke who's been through the horrors professionally. A nice touch from the club to stand by him and from him to show how much he appreciates what we've done for him for signing a contract smaller than a lot of clubs would pay him on the free market.

EDIT:Still need a defender though while Djourou has question marks hanging over him. Silvestre ****s me to tears, I just hate the guy so much. A good young centre back as cover now with the potential to take Gallas' spot in the next couple of years would be huge for the club. Save up all the pennies for that and a keeper please.

Last edited:

duffer

A bit of me dies inside whenever I see Paddy line up for another club and it'll kill me seeing him play for another English team but what will really hurt is seeing how much of a shadow of his former self is week in week out now. It'll be worth it though if only for the response he'll get from the Grove when he returns in comparison to that horrific lanky piece of ****ery. Will always love you Paddy.

Jarquis

Apparently in Wenger's press conference today he said that he'd prefer to do any deals early in the window and that Clichy will be back in training on Monday.

Also duffer, you've mentioned that you'd love us to sign a cb for cover, I'd also quite like Gallas to put pen to paper on a new deal :unsure:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They were in the second in 94, same as us.

One of my favourite anecdotes came that season, in October 93 they came to PP and if we won we went top, whilst they were in lower-midtable. We duly beat them, and our ever impartial PA says at the end

"Well done Tranmere, top of the league! As for Bolton you lot are....hang on I'm waiting for the teletext to move to the next page....ah there you are, 16th! Nevermind!"

Did they beat Liverpool as well that season?
:laugh:
Reminds me of that Saffie ground announcer at the Rah Rah who, at the end of a Super 14 game against the Waratahs said "Go home you sheep rooters!"

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Love how a holding midfielder isn't top of the list anymore.
Song - Beast, WAG :wub:

Edit : Rosicky isn't going anywhere then.
Surprised at this, I thought Rosicky would be on his way out at the end of his current deal, with the emergence of Vela and him being behind Nasri, Arshavin, Ramsey and Walcott in the pecking order as well as the likes of Merida and Wilshere coming through his days would be numbered. Still, a player I have also liked so I'm not dissapointed.

duffer

Surprised at this, I thought Rosicky would be on his way out at the end of his current deal, with the emergence of Vela and him being behind Nasri, Arshavin, Ramsey and Walcott in the pecking order as well as the likes of Merida and Wilshere coming through his days would be numbered. Still, a player I have also liked so I'm not dissapointed.
Fran just signed a contract with Atletico. He didn't fancy fighting through the logjam in front of him. Shame, he looked so much better than Denilson whenever they played together in the reserves. Arsene playing him against West Ham was a last ditch attempt to convince him he has a future here but him and his brother(apparently the driver for the discontent) had other ideas.

Jarquis

Yeah was just reading on the BBC that Merida was stalling on a new contract.

Also from the BBC
It is thought Arsenal have £35m to spend on transfers and wages due to a legally-binding clause in their bank loan agreements to give boss Arsene Wenger 70% of all net proceeds from player sales to reinvest. If he does not spend all the cash in one window, it must be put into a Transfer Proceeds Account (TPA) used exclusively for future transfer fees or wages.
You know anything of that duffer?
They're also suggesting that AC Milan want Mannone?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Start of the year & pretty much all of the major first team ENG players are fit. Just Rio & i think Walcott has injury woes, long may it continue..

cpr

International Coach
So, Portsmouth then.

When are the FA going to admit their Fit and Proper persons test is the biggest ****ing joke since time began?

grecian

Start of the year & pretty much all of the major first team ENG players are fit. Just Rio & i think Walcott has injury woes, long may it continue..
Shame most of 'em are sub-standard though, but still England for the World Cup, ra-ra:)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So, Portsmouth then.

When are the FA going to admit their Fit and Proper persons test is the biggest ****ing joke since time began?
Feel sorry for the fans ('cept that client with the fecking bell, obv), but the sooner HMRC pulls the plug the better. Just a farce now. If they can't pay the players how the hell can they pay the £10m they owe on transfers and the £28m to Gadamark?