• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Right, so acting recklessly is fine as long as there are no serious consequences.
No, but saying that tackle could "potentially end his career" is an overstatement. But if he means it technically...then really half the tackles in the EPL are "potentially career threatening". There was a worse tackle from Scholes in the United game IIRC. How would have Javier ended Ben-haim's career? Stepping on his toes?

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When my aunt was being conceived she could have potentially been my uncle. Scaly is a bitter twit who looked to stick it into Liverpool/Gerrard whenever possible. A sad case.
Oh no I have nothing against Liverpool. Just cowardly thug, Rafa the clown and a number of their fans.

Once Rafa gets the sack I'd be fine with them winning games and would wish them success when playing foreign sides - assuming they're sufficiently English unlike the CDMs.

Jarquis

Then you've missed the point because that's not it.
I know it wasn't the point, but you mentioned it in your post so it clearly was a point. It's irrelevant. If I punch you in the face and break my wrist, what the **** has that got to do with anything?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I know it wasn't the point, but you mentioned it in your post so it clearly was a point. It's irrelevant. If I punch you in the face and break my wrist, what the **** has that got to do with anything?
It was an aside. Scaly talks of the positioning of the tackling leg which in fact put him in more harm than the person he was trying to tackle.

duffer

That's his one contribution for the season then. Love how the commentator said how it came "from a most unlikely source".
Hopefully it gets his confidence up, he started his Arsenal career so impressively but has gone into his shell and become a side passing fanny for about a season now. Reckon a lot of that was fear of messing up and the crowd getting on his back. Incredible end to the half though. Second half should be well spicy.

cpr

International Coach
It was an aside. Scaly talks of the positioning of the tackling leg which in fact put him in more harm than the person he was trying to tackle.
Doesnt matter if he's in more harms way, he's still put the defender in harms way and thats what the tackles based on (remember Gazza v Forest 91 cup final, stupidly reckless challenge that put himself out for a year, still a bad challenge that deserved a free kick and a red, though the ref bottled it and only showed a yellow whilst he was being stretchered off).

End of the day Masch has come in very late, very forceful with studs showing (also arms flailing everywhere and manages to smack the guy in the neck, pretty good proof he wasnt in control of his body at the time of the tackle). Could've been a lot lot worse, red for me.

In other news, we were ****, Scholes was worse. Good strikes by Fulham though

Scaly piscine

That was only one potential outcome though.

If you tackle like that a number of times, say hundred for argument's sake. A lot of the time you'll simply miss the other player altogether. A chunk of those times you'll rake down the guy's shin. Another chunk of times you'll land on the guy's ankle or foot. Another few times you'll catch the guy's low leg at right angle or similar and the full force will dissipate there and then. The outcome of that is post-watershed.

He had no control of the big force involved once he leans forward with most of his weight coming down. His foot is going to land roundabout where the other player is standing, that's as far as the control goes.

That sort of numbers game is not you want at any level of football. It needs to be removed from the game as much as possible.