• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in New Zealand (3 tests)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What really annoys me about this Kiwi team is that the batting technique has been taking steps backwards whilst playing at test level. I mean, with the exception of McIntosh who has always stunk early on, before getting it together once he's on about 40. Flynn, Guptill, Fulton... Their technique has looked extremely suspect in these matches. Yes, there's been some good bowling but I suspect a true world class or good test player wouldn't have got out to many of them.

And I've seen Watling several times, Howsie. Quite liked the look of him as a first class player; but haven't seen him play for about 12-13 months. Still think it's too soon for him, mind.

Xuhaib

International Coach
What really annoys me about this Kiwi team is that the batting technique has been taking steps backwards whilst playing at test level. I mean, with the exception of McIntosh who has always stunk early on, before getting it together once he's on about 40. Flynn, Guptill, Fulton... Their technique has looked extremely suspect in these matches. Yes, there's been some good bowling but I suspect a true world class or good test player wouldn't have got out to many of them.

And I've seen Watling several times, Howsie. Quite liked the look of him as a first class player; but haven't seen him play for about 12-13 months. Still think it's too soon for him, mind.
tbf to Guptill he's got as few rippers early agreed about the rest though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbf to Guptill he's got as few rippers early agreed about the rest though.
True. However, I still suspect that a better player wouldn't have been dismissed by that one he got in the 2nd at Wellington.

Shame about the Akmal brothers. Umar has been a revelation; it would be a real shame for them and their team to miss out on the last test. Hopefully, their mother pulls through and they can hang on here for another few days.

Howsie

International Captain
Yea I think he's been picked a tad to early also, but we have noone else that's as good as him imo so why not play him now.

What does bug me though is Flem calling him a "stonewaller" and "project" He's no Sehwag or Gayle but he's far from some McIntosh like clone that defends half volleys and fails to pick up singles.

bryce

International Regular
Well put lol, plus has alot of energy very good in the field really quick between wickets. Was the only option I felt(providing he is actually opening)

Xuhaib

International Coach
With fulton gone I hope Macintosh plays never seen a guy look so out of his depth in international cricket since emmm...Shoiab Malik.

Flem274*

123/5
Yea I think he's been picked a tad to early also, but we have noone else that's as good as him imo so why not play him now.

What does bug me though is Flem calling him a "stonewaller" and "project" He's no Sehwag or Gayle but he's far from some McIntosh like clone that defends half volleys and fails to pick up singles.
I was harsh with stonewaller. In the past couple of years he has turned the strike over nicely.

He's still a project mind because his FC record is so meh. Yes he has the tools to succeed but he has never put together a big run scoring season in first class cricket yet.

Flem274*

123/5
Would be a shame if the Akmal bros miss the final test. Massive leg up for NZ, would just need to remove Yousuf then. Who would come in?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

James

Cricket Web Owner
Peter's comment in his latest article:

Cricket Web - Peter McGlashan Blog: Occasionally in life there are moments when things change

Hi all,
Thanks very much for the kind words, always nice to hear there are people that enjoy my writing and hopefully are passing it on to others with an interest in the game.
Please continue to comment on articles, is always nice to know people care enough to pass on their opinions. Northern Districts continue to do well and have had the great news through that BJ Watling has been included in the squad for the 3rd test versus Pakistan.
BJ has been my cover for keeping and is a very good opening batsmen so it is great to see him get a chance. I'll have to watch my back and work even harder to keep my name in consideration for the New Zealand back up position with him around. He has all the right attributes and is an exceptional fielder so I'm sure he'll do well.

Comment by Peter McGlashan | 3:35am gmt 06 Dec 2009

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm glad NZ have retained McIntosh for this final Test. Some people were rubbishing his 31 in the second innings of the first Test, but you've got to remember how important it was in the context of this series (NZ winning the first match by 32 runs).

I just think he's got to stick at it and frustrate the hell out of the Pakistan bowlers. I'm tipping him for highest scorer in NZ's first innings.

Also Guptill is going to (IMO) be so much if he comes in after an hour or so into the match rather than in the first couple of overs.

GGG

State Captain
So the selectors pick someone for a test match that has a good List A record and a crap FC record and pick someone for ODI's that has a good FC record and a crap List A record.I thought Vettori of all people would know you can be a great ODI player and a crap Test Match player.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Akmal bro's mom had a heart attack the duo might miss the final test.
Wow, that's really sad to hear. I hope that it's not serious and she fully recovers. I would also hope that the brothers are able to fly back to Pakistan immediately to be with her.