• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in New Zealand (3 tests)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, it was great bowling from Pakistan. But New Zealand's batting was typically spineless. McIntosh, Flynn, Fulton, Elliot, McCullum and even Vettori all got out to a mix of poor technique married with poor shot selection. Only Guptill and Taylor can really excuse themselves from the group flogging the batters should get tonight.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
It would appear that McIntosh is probably at the end of his tether, he's had a year, no real signs of adjustment, gotta go. I suppose you put Watling in his place. I mean, he hasn't had any credible success at FC cricket but he's still probably better than a coat stand with a couple of pads and a bat tied to it, which you can't necessarily say for timmy mac.

Guptill should stick around. I'm getting a sinking feeling that he's going to be next McCullum of NZ cricket, but he's better than any other opener we've trialled in the last 8 years.

Flynn: not a number 3, should never have been moved there and certainly shouldn't have been persisted with there for so long. Again, not sure who you're going to replace him with. A mannequin with a photo of Stephen Fleming stapled to the head perhaps?

Fulton at 5 has been a crushing disappointment. I guess its time to give Broom, who's looked pretty shocking in his inexplicably long ODI career to date, a go.

As for Elliot, just bring in a 5th bowler, it'll help share the work load around so that the bowlers aren't so tired when the inevitable collapse comes, and they have to turn around after 2 sessions rest.
IMO Martin Guptill needs more domestic cricket. Hes scored one first class century in his entire career - compare that to Neil Broom for instance, who has now scored two tons in his last two matches for Otago, and whilst I don't rate him a better player, its a promising sign.

Agreed regarding Fulton and Elliott who deserved a chance but if you don't score any runs and you're playing as a batsman...

Flem274*

123/5
Yes, it was great bowling from Pakistan. But New Zealand's batting was typically spineless. McIntosh, Flynn, Fulton, Elliot, McCullum and even Vettori all got out to a mix of poor technique married with poor shot selection. Only Guptill and Taylor can really excuse themselves from the group flogging the batters should get tonight.
Kinky

Athlai

Not Terrible
Scaly in showing up when New Zealand are down shocker.

(Though he is right on the money and not being harsh at all)

Flem274*

123/5
Hmm this must be the bit where NZ fans go on like their players have gone from gods to peasants.

Pakistan are probably the most talented (and erratic) teams around, they will blitz teams every now and then, particularly ones like NZ that simply don't have the quality to hang around when these bowlers are on song.

New Zealand don't have the talent pool to be throwing in a load of FC players and have much good come from it. Simple. It's like me calling for some random leg spinner to replace Rashid. Adil Rashid is the best England have and if he's not really up to it it's tough because he's the best we've got.
So SP my darling vulture, your thoughts on the first test where you seemed to be...missing.

Go have a chat with Howsie darling.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tell all.
I'm planning on saving it for the aussie test now. Nothing too edgy Hopefully it'll involve some leather, whips, chains, a kangaroo, some butt plugs, rubber gloves, handcuffs, maybe an anal douche, I dunno I'll have to think about that one, some extra strength nipple clamps, an assortment of creams and oils, some toys, beads, arseless pants, paddles, a wooden board, some nails and a hammer, a scarf for strangulation, maybe a long barrelled gun (not loaded of course) etc. The pun is rather obvious.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I've already noticed, you don't rate Broom. Must enjoy watching this line-up though right?
Of course I wasn't impressed by the batting display today, that's pretty obvious to anyone who knows I'm from NZ. Does that mean I'd automatically want to select another player who had already demonstrated to me that he had a miserable technique at International level..no it doesn't.

I'd like to think there may be some other players coming up through our First Class set-up who may well have the technique/setup to cope in internationals & that's more important for me than just the FC average.

Zinzan

No, I'm just not conveniently forgetting the 5 years of poor technique, bad decision making and missed opportunities either. And I never said anything about his keeping. While he can be a little haphazzard you'll get no arguments here that his keeping skills are mostly very good.
Sorry, just confirming, are you maintaining he's "a crap test player" then?

Zinzan

Hmm this must be the bit where NZ fans go on like their players have gone from gods to peasants.

Pakistan are probably the most talented (and erratic) teams around, they will blitz teams every now and then, particularly ones like NZ that simply don't have the quality to hang around when these bowlers are on song.

New Zealand don't have the talent pool to be throwing in a load of FC players and have much good come from it. Simple. It's like me calling for some random leg spinner to replace Rashid. Adil Rashid is the best England have and if he's not really up to it it's tough because he's the best we've got.
Haha, had a sneaking suspicion you wouldn't be lurking too far away at such a moment.

You do make a fair point about NZ's batting though. Crowe made the point in the commentary that Taylor, Ryder & Vettori were the only New Zealander's who could call themselves Test batsmen at the moment, not sure he's far wrong..

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, just confirming, are you maintaining he's "a crap test player" then?
Fine, a crap test batsman then, no defensive technique, couldn't play an innings to save a match if it meant his life, makes most of his runs when games are already lost or he's playing Bangladesh, useless temperament etc.

Zinzan

Fine, a crap test batsman then, no defensive technique, couldn't play an innings to save a match if it meant his life, makes most of his runs when games are already lost or he's playing Bangladesh, useless temperament etc.
8-) Righto,so his batting isn't just below average for a Test keeper/batsman or something like that, it's just plain crap

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Our batting is weak.

Don't mind giving Broom a run. Maybe he is just a crappy ODI player.
Williamson isn't ready. I vote against Sinclair he has had enough chances.

Lets hope we score 400 in the second inning making this conversation academic.