• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in New Zealand (3 tests)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Even though it's slow, Pakistan have to be pretty happy with this start.

Of course if Southee had played Pakistan would be 5 down by now [/Howsie] ;)

Howsie

International Captain
Even though it's slow, Pakistan have to be pretty happy with this start.

Of course if Southee had played Pakistan would be 5 down by now [/Howsie] ;)
Please don't tell me people are actually going to defend this "pie" like bowling from Tuffey. These two openers are as average as ****, how they're both out there right now amazes me.

Down wind 130K's, average.

Days of Grace

International Captain
If Bond had of played, Pakistan would be at least 2 down by now.

As it is, our attack is pop-gun and will conceed at least 400 in this first innings. Oh well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Please don't tell me people are actually going to defend this "pie" like bowling from Tuffey. These two openers are as average as ****, how they're both out there right now amazes me.

Haha bit OTT. Sure he ain't no Bond but Tuffey hasn't been bowling pies. Wouldn't be as unwise to call any Pakistani player as average as **** either. Butt and Farhat may not be their best players but they can certainly score some runs on their day.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Am surprised not a bit quicker than that too tbh. Really was expecting Tuffey (or O'Brien/ Martin) to put the ball on the spot, get it to nip around and make things very difficult for the openers.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Haha bit OTT. Sure he ain't no Bond but Tuffey hasn't been bowling pies. Wouldn't be as unwise to call any Pakistani player as average as **** either. Butt and Farhat may not be their best players but they can certainly score some runs on their day.
He isn't threatening, that's the main problem. I didn't see Tuffey get any swing whatsoever and he got very little seam movement whilst bowling as wide as he could. Southee has more pace, he get's more bonce, he swings the ball, and he get's movement of the pitch.

Oh and he just took 8/27, but why would that matter.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He isn't threatening, that's the main problem. I didn't see Tuffey get any swing whatsoever and he got very little seam movement whilst bowling as wide as he could. Southee has more pace, he get's more bonce, he swings the ball, and he get's movement of the pitch.

Oh and he just took 8/27, but why would that matter.
That pitch was evidently a mine field though. Tuffey deserves his chance and Southee deserves his if Tuffey fails. The Tuffster's been bowling well lately and has some good domestic seasons so I have no problem with seeing him in the whites. Definitely would like to see him get a bit more nip off the surface though.

Howsie

International Captain
That pitch was evidently a mine field though. Tuffey deserves his chance and Southee deserves his if Tuffey fails. The Tuffster's been bowling well lately and has some good domestic seasons so I have no problem with seeing him in the whites. Definitely would like to see him get a bit more nip off the surface though.
Nope, far from it. Southee just swung the ball all day and the Wellington batsmen had no idea.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Tuffey's been fine tbh. Not awesome, but good. Howsie was always going to come in here and have a giant whinge about him unless he took a stack of wickets or - lol - bowled at 140km+ regardless of how well he actually bowled. The word "pie" was mentioned; lets not forget what happened last time Southee played a Test in New Zealand.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's all so "meh" between them. It completely baffles me that anyone could get so passionate about picking one over the other. No test match will ever be swung on whether your fourth bowler was Southee or Tuffey.

Howsie

International Captain
I think Tuffey's been fine tbh. Not awesome, but good. Howsie was always going to come in here and have a giant whinge about him unless he took a stack of wickets or - lol - bowled at 140km+ regardless of how well he actually bowled. The word "pie" was mentioned; lets not forget what happened last time Southee played a Test in New Zealand.
Southee should never have played in either of the test matches he has played in New Zealand (something I said yesterday I think). At the end of last season his action had deteriorated so much it wasn't a surprise to me that he was destroyed by Sehwag and co.

Fast-forward to now and he's a totally different bowler, he actually has confindence now and isn't scared of where the ball will end up after it get's to the batsmen.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
O'Brien to Salman Butt, OUT, watch out for the blog later today, banged in short on the off and a rush of blood costs Butt his wicket, rises up to him a little more than he expected and he gets a top edge as he attempts a pull, Tuffey moves a few steps forward from mid-on and takes a dolly

Salman Butt c Tuffey b O'Brien 29 (103b 4x4 0x6) SR: 28.15
Does Cricinfo really need to mention the blog every time O'Brien does anything?? It's getting as annoying as Jake the Goalkeeper.