• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batsman and bowler of the 1990s

bagapath

International Captain
True that. But few of those runs came against quality pace. ( '92 and '99).
rubbish.... tendulkar never had a bad series in australia. in 92 he scored two cracking hundreds. and in 99-00 he was the man of the series. if you claim tendulkar did not score well against quality pacers based on his performances in australia that is equal to saying australia never had quality fast bowlers in the last twenty years.

Sir Alex

Banned
rubbish.... tendulkar never had a bad series in australia. in 92 he scored two cracking hundreds. and in 99-00 he was the man of the series. if you claim tendulkar did not score well against quality pacers based on his performances in australia that is equal to saying australia never had quality fast bowlers in the last twenty years.
Addendum : He'd averaged much better than the 46.33 he ended up had he not been victim of atleast 2 dubious decisions (the shoulder before wicket notwithstanding) and that he tried to hit out and get out while batting with the tailenders which was the norm.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
There's definitely truth to what MrIncredible says.

Tendulkar has played most of his tests not against the best Australian attack. In the early 90s we didn't have great pacers and when we did most of the time Tendulkar didn't play them. Of the 29 matches he's played against Australia, for example, he's only played 9 of them against McGrath, and his record is not very good against him.

Which is not to say that some of the attacks weren't good, but they weren't our best.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
There's definitely truth to what MrIncredible says.

not even an iota. tendulkar was successful in every series in australia, with or without any bowler they could select. prove me otherwise.

and he was superb in every series against them in india as well - except the 04-05 series in which he played two tests coming back from injury. even in that series he played a match deciding knock in the last test.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
not even an iota. tendulkar was successful in every series in australia, with or without any bowler they could select. prove me otherwise.
Look at the bowlers he faced; hardly the best we've had. So his point stands true. Pretty good attacks, certainly not great. Lara's record IMO is much better against Australia.

bagapath

International Captain
Look at the bowlers he faced; hardly the best we've had. So his point stands true. Pretty good attacks, certainly not great. Lara's record IMO is much better against Australia.
i said tendulkar never had a bad series in australia. do you have anything to disprove me?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
i said tendulkar never had a bad series in australia. do you have anything to disprove me?
Neither McIncredible nor I claimed so, for you to counter with that. We just mentioned the attacks he faced weren't the greatest.

bagapath

International Captain
Neither McIncredible nor I claimed so, for you to counter with that. We just mentioned the attacks he faced weren't the greatest.
thats a blatant lie ikki. mrincredible did claim that.

"Originally Posted by MrIncredible
True that. But few of those runs came against quality pace. ( '92 and '99)."

now..... my counter to that is tendulkar never had a bad series in australia. even in 91-92 and in 99-00 he was top notch.

do you have anything to disprove me? if not, first accept that tendulkar never had a bad series in australia before you say anything else.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Be careful with your claims. No I did not lie. If McIncredible means by quality pace the likes of McGrath, Donald, etc, then he is right. He never claimed that Tendulkar had failed.

In 92 we hardly had the best pace attack to begin with, and in 99 he didn't face our best when they were the world's best. So yes, with those attacks he never failed.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Be careful with your claims. No I did not lie. If McIncredible means by quality pace the likes of McGrath, Donald, etc, then he is right.

In 92 we hardly had the best pace attack to begin with, and in 99 he didn't face our best. So yes, with those attacks he never failed.
MrIncrdible says the 91-92 and 99-00 attacks had great pace bowlers and sachin failed against them. therefore, he infers, he is not good against pace. i say he did not fail against them. therefore he is good against good pace bowling. you agree sachin never failed in australia but claim they were not great attacks either.

so going by a 2-1 majority the three of us have arrived at the following conclusions

sachin never failed in australia
australia fielded great pace attacks against him in two tours out of four. and he did very well against them as well.

and I conclude.....
therefore sachin is good against great pace bowling also.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't though, as far as I read. Gingerfurball claimed that Tendulkar had scored 2000+ runs and MrIncredible agreed, but said they weren't quality attacks. Unless you're referring to another post, I may have missed, then you're just wrong. Only series Tendulkar did did great against McGrath was in 2001, but that was in India. He did pretty well in 99 but elsewhere not particularly superlative. Although, having said that, few batsmen would come away averaging 50+ against McGrath.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I may have missed
yes, you have. so you are absolutely wrong. and I am right.

I do believe the 91-92 andd 99-00 attacks were great. if you believe otherwise it doesnt matter. the fact is you just cannot simply jump in and try to tell me I was wrong when all I stated was that sachin never had a bad series in australia. no one can argue with that. no one.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
yes, you have. so you are absolutely wrong. and I am right.
Show me the post that I have missed.

I do believe the 91-92 andd 99-00 attacks were great. if you believe otherwise it doesnt matter. the fact is you just cannot simply jump in and try to tell me I was wrong when all I stated was that sachin never had a bad series in australia. no one can argue with that.
91-92 one certainly wasn't. The 99-00 one was much better but much of Tendulkar's runs came against a crap-out-of-form Warne, not McGrath.

LOL, you keep fighting a battle no one brought up. Show me where anyone claimed Tendulkar failed in Australia.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
He didn't though, as far as I read. Gingerfurball claimed that Tendulkar had scored 2000+ runs and MrIncredible agreed, but said they weren't quality attacks. Unless you're referring to another post, I may have missed, then you're just wrong. Only series Tendulkar did did great against McGrath was in 2001, but that was in India. He did pretty well in 99 but elsewhere not particularly superlative. Although, having said that, few batsmen would come away averaging 50+ against McGrath.
He was brilliant against McGrath in 99 also and he was great in 2001 also. That makes it 2 out of 3 series. And in 2004, he was hardly fit.

Sir Alex

Banned
Show me the post that I have missed.

91-92 one certainly wasn't. The 99-00 one was much better but much of Tendulkar's runs came against a crap-out-of-form Warne, not McGrath.

LOL, you keep fighting a battle no one brought up. Show me where anyone claimed Tendulkar failed in Australia.
That is a lame excuse Ikki. Shane warne clearly struggled against Pakistan and India who were perhaps the best players of spin during the late 90s.

Sir Alex

Banned
2001 sure...but that was in India.
McGrath is a master bowler who succeeded in all conditions. His bowling style is suited to Indian conditions as he relies on seam movement and not swing. To have countered him successfully both in Australia and India makes Tendulkar the only Indian batsman to have dominated Australia in the 90s.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath is a master bowler who succeeded in all conditions. His bowling style is suited to Indian conditions as he relies on seam movement and not swing. To have countered him successfully both in Australia and India makes Tendulkar the only Indian batsman to have dominated Australia in the 90s.
He didn't really do much against McGrath in 99/Australia. Even in 99 McGrath was comfortable; he went for barely any runs. Most of the runs came against the others, namely Warne. And no, India's conditions suited Tendulkar much more than it suited McGrath.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That is a lame excuse Ikki. Shane warne clearly struggled against Pakistan and India who were perhaps the best players of spin during the late 90s.
No, Warne didn't struggle against Pakistan. He struggled against India, but during the time where he pretty much had most his tests against him he suffered with multiple injuries.

Anyway, I thought we were talking about pace?