• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Leon Davis looked underdone towards the end of the season, but he was pretty much up there with the best in the comp early on. Big call to get rid of him, especially like you said, no one would be prepared to trade much for him. Fev for Leon maybe :ph34r:
Thing is, and I do love the guy, when he's bad he's awful, and he's pretty much established that he's not a finals player. The problem is, everyone knows this about him, which will limit his value as a trade - along with his age. Can't really think of anyone who'd be desperate to get him - maybe Hawthorn to get another quicker mid who can use it well? But Burgoyne and Gibson would be much higher priorities for them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Thing is, and I do love the guy, when he's bad he's awful, and he's pretty much established that he's not a finals player. The problem is, everyone knows this about him, which will limit his value as a trade - along with his age. Can't really think of anyone who'd be desperate to get him - maybe Hawthorn to get another quicker mid who can use it well? But Burgoyne and Gibson would be much higher priorities for them.
Reckon Sydney would love to have a player like him, with Schneider, N. Davis gone and Buchanan on the outer, they're lacking a small forward (outside Vespremi) who can push into the midfield when required. Plus, the Swans culture might be good for him.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
The worry would be that, after his super 2007, he wasn't great in 2008 either. Serviceable, but not great. Will be interesting to see what happens with Reid and Dawes; plus Rusling if someone can donate him some shoulders.

Reckon Luke Ball might be a decent fit for you guys, takes the strain off O'Bree and Pendlebury for clearances, and lets Swan concentrate on running guys into the ground.
Yeah, I was thinking about Ball. We desperately need a tough in-and-under to help out Pendlebury. Again, the question is, what would it take?

I think Rusling might be a shot duck - was so desperate for him to get out on the field - he looked like he could be fantastic, but its been three (or four?) years now of him playing half a season and spending the rest of the time in hospital. Don't think we should waste a spot for him anymore.

Dawes has gone past Reid IMO - big fan of the kid.

The thing with having two dedicated rucks is that Wood has been consistently better when Fraser isn't in the team and the job is his alone - and in that capacity was better than Fraser in the second half of the year. Fraser is so frustrating, classic player who is good enough to hold a spot, but not good enough to get you the big results. I'd be happy to trade him, but we wouldn't get anything for him.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Sydney would love to have a player like him, with Schneider, N. Davis gone and Buchanan on the outer, they're lacking a small forward (outside Vespremi) who can push into the midfield when required. Plus, the Swans culture might be good for him.
Depends whether they're serious about rebuilding or not. He's the wrong age for them if they are, and won't be a part of their next flag.

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
No none wants to trade draft picks either, with this being the last decent draft for a while.

BTW did anyone see that Trent Mackenzie on the grand final sprint for Gold Coast? I've played quite a few games of cricket and footy against him. He'll be quality.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Depends whether they're serious about rebuilding or not. He's the wrong age for them if they are, and won't be a part of their next flag.
They won't bother bottoming out fully, they'll stay at around 12th-13th. I reckon they have more youth than most people know about, they just make them work harder than most clubs to get their first games. See guys like Malceski who didn't get his debut till 21. Hanneberry is about the only 18 year old they've played in a fair while.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Swap with St Kilda, with a pick or another player to balance it a bit - Ball for Davis?

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I was thinking about Ball. We desperately need a tough in-and-under to help out Pendlebury. Again, the question is, what would it take?
Reckon you'd get away with him for a 3rd round draft pick. St Kilda will probably give his spot to Armitage.

Would be interesting to see if his groins hold up better when he doesn't have to play 14 games a year at Docklands... :whistling:

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Thought I'd read Roos saying they'll go deep into the draft this year, or at least that their first two picks are off the table as trade material. That would make Davis to Sydney hard to do.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Thought I'd read Roos saying they'll go deep into the draft this year, or at least that their first two picks are off the table as trade material. That would make Davis to Sydney hard to do.
That's true, they'd have to be prepared to let go of a player that appeals. Jude Bolton probably a bit old, but would be a candidate - they've tried to get rid of him before, and he might be able to be that Luke Ball role. You guys would still want a first round draft pick with that though, I guess.

Hoggy31

International Captain
That's true, they'd have to be prepared to let go of a player that appeals. Jude Bolton probably a bit old, but would be a candidate - they've tried to get rid of him before, and he might be able to be that Luke Ball role. You guys would still want a first round draft pick with that though, I guess.
Daniel Harris is a cheap, handy pick-up for clubs wanting a pure clearance player - still a beast in close despite his other deficiencies, think he still has some decent footy in him playing 50-60% gametime from the bench i.e. stepping right into O'Bree's spot next year.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Swap with St Kilda, with a pick or another player to balance it a bit - Ball for Davis?
If we're talking Leon, I think the last thing St Kilda need is a guy who bottles it in finals.

I've always rated Harris. *shrug*
Remember a couple of years ago people arguing how much of a better player he is than Daniel Cross - fallen a long way since then.

Roos fans might know if he was another victim of Dean Laidley?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think (for better or for worse) Sydney will let themselves bottom out in the manner of Melbourne/Carlton/Hawthorn etc. The fact that we went for Rhys Shaw (albeit we only traded a low pick for him) suggests we're still willing to trade youth for player who covers a deficiency in our team.

I think the Swans are genuinely afraid that the Sydney market will abandon them if they suffer a couple of REALLY bad years results wise. The big drop in memberships and attendances that they've had this year (don't know the figures offhand) would suggest they have reason to be worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.