• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
His huge contract means that he's virtually impossible to get rid of.

Unless Carlton are willing to pay a portion of it, a la when Woewodin left Melbourne. Which they won't be considering that they are shopping around a required player. They won't give another team a leg-up by helping them take him off their hands.

Simply, Carlton will only take a deal for him that is what he is worth as a player. And other clubs will only make deals considering his character, which won't match what Carlton would want if it were to consider getting rid of him.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Do you reckon Geelong will have to let anyone go to fit in the cap? Harley going would let them move someone new onto the veterans list and save some $$ that way, in addition to his own pay.

Who do you reckon you'd be prepared to trade if it came to it? WCE would consider something reasonable to get a small forward type one like a Varcoe or Byrnes I reckon.

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
Do you reckon Geelong will have to let anyone go to fit in the cap? Harley going would let them move someone new onto the veterans list and save some $$ that way, in addition to his own pay.

Who do you reckon you'd be prepared to trade if it came to it? WCE would consider something reasonable to get a small forward type one like a Varcoe or Byrnes I reckon.
It'll be interesting, players like Ryan Gamble have to go. As well as Egan retiring, there still might be room to move.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder who Bombers will get for Lovett, apparentley Kerr could be on the move.
Dons would have to offer a 1st round pick along with Lovett for the Eagles to even consider swapping Kerr - even then they might need to throw in something more.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

I'd guess we'd definitely be seeing the back of Tenace and David Johnson as well. Supposedly Tenace was on good money, as he signed a long term deal when he was going alright and playing most games. His contract is up this year, so that'll free us up some space, plus Harley, although I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't on that much. Was Harley on the veteran's list? I thought it would have been Milburn and Scarlett?

I can only see us trading for picks, not players. If we could get a second rounder for one of either Byrnes, Stokes (who has been mooted as going to the WCE for a while, free LeCras to play further up the ground) or Varcoe then I wouldn't be surprised if we took it. We'd be lucky to get that though. Gamble is probably another who could be up for leaving, he's in a pretty similar situation to Prismall last year.

I really don't see anyone else of worth that we'd be prepared to give up. Hogan, Laidler, Gillies and Brown are all untouchables, as they'll be our replacements for Corey, Milburn, Scarlett and Mooney respectively.

I hope that if we do have to get rid of players, then we do much the same as what we did with King and C. Gardiner; trade them off for nothing picks and make sure that they get a home for next year. Think Geelong's emphasis on looking after their own has been a very important part of our success, and I think it'll play a bigger part in ensuring our list stays together.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Would Mumford (sp?) be on the table? If Ottens is fit, he'd be in a constant battle for his position, and Blake seems to be preferred. I can guess you'd like the coverage for Ottens, but as a decent sized ruck, he might be worth something.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would Mumford (sp?) be on the table? If Ottens is fit, he'd be in a constant battle for his position, and Blake seems to be preferred. I can guess you'd like the coverage for Ottens, but as a decent sized ruck, he might be worth something.
Dunno if we'd really get anything for Mumford. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blake on the table, to be honest. The club wouldn't be happy about his comments RE: Steven King, plus we've got Mumford and Trent West coming through. Would free up more salary cap space than Mumford as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Apparently him and Steven King hate each other, Blake must of packed the ****s when he didn't make the Grand Final team.
Think it was more of a case of Blake saying to the club that if King is going to continue to be the second ruckman the next year (after the '07 GF), then he's out. And with King taking up more money in the salary cap, and being older, they got rid of him. Don't think that the ex-captain of the club was too happy about that.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Collingwood are pretty much stuck between two stools - I think we may have to trade a bit to get the players to take us beyond competitive and a position 4-6 team, but not sure whether Mick will do so if he's only got two more years to try and get a flag.

I love the guy, but I'd be prepared to trade Leon Davis, but I don't think anyone will pay what we would want for him. We're not going to have a super high pick in the draft to secure any big trades either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Davis and Travis Cloke are the only real players of value that Collingwood would be willing to trade.

Didak, Pendlebury, Swan are all untouchable.

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
Collingwood are pretty much stuck between two stools - I think we may have to trade a bit to get the players to take us beyond competitive and a position 4-6 team, but not sure whether Mick will do so if he's only got two more years to try and get a flag.

I love the guy, but I'd be prepared to trade Leon Davis, but I don't think anyone will pay what we would want for him. We're not going to have a super high pick in the draft to secure any big trades either.
Leon Davis looked underdone towards the end of the season, but he was pretty much up there with the best in the comp early on. Big call to get rid of him, especially like you said, no one would be prepared to trade much for him. Fev for Leon maybe :ph34r:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think we should trade Travis. Don't think anyone would give us what we'd need for it to be a worthwhile trade. We are stuck with him in my opinion, and we just have to hope that he finds it within himself to recapture his form of a couple of years ago, rather than the imposter we've seen on the field this year. He's had a **** year outside of footy, and hopefully if he has a better time of it next year, he'll recoup some of his performance.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Really think that they should spend the whole year playing the two ruckmen, Wood and Fraser. Think that we've seen throughout the past two years that the physical toll playing one ruckman plus a part-timer is just too much, and even more-so come the physicality of finals.

This allows the attack and defence to become more settled, much like Geelong and St. Kilda. Although Malthouse has long been a pretty big fan of having different teams for different clubs, horses for courses, etc. Maybe that could also explain why you have a poor record against some mediocre sides (until the second half of this year).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't think we should trade Travis. Don't think anyone would give us what we'd need for it to be a worthwhile trade. We are stuck with him in my opinion, and we just have to hope that he finds it within himself to recapture his form of a couple of years ago, rather than the imposter we've seen on the field this year. He's had a **** year outside of footy, and hopefully if he has a better time of it next year, he'll recoup some of his performance.
The worry would be that, after his super 2007, he wasn't great in 2008 either. Serviceable, but not great. Will be interesting to see what happens with Reid and Dawes; plus Rusling if someone can donate him some shoulders.

Reckon Luke Ball might be a decent fit for you guys, takes the strain off O'Bree and Pendlebury for clearances, and lets Swan concentrate on running guys into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.