• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
^^ Reckon he might stay at Port then. Every team would be interested, but it's salary cap and more particularly what you have to give to get the deal done. Hawthorn would be keen, but is Burgoyne or Gibson their higher priority - I'd doubt they could get both done.

The Dons might have room, but what would they swap for him? Maybe a straight swap for Lovett?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
They could get both done, but it would involve at least their first two picks and not sure they want to lose both.

Something like
Burgoyne for Pick 9 + possibly a Player
Gibson for Pick 25 & Thorp or Dowler

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
^^ Reckon he might stay at Port then. Every team would be interested, but it's salary cap and more particularly what you have to give to get the deal done. Hawthorn would be keen, but is Burgoyne or Gibson their higher priority - I'd doubt they could get both done.

The Dons might have room, but what would they swap for him? Maybe a straight swap for Lovett?
Yeah, Lovett may well be the go, although you'd probably think that Port would want a draft pick chucked in, and Essendon may not be willing to do that. An explosive inside player would really suit Essendon, helping out Watson with the clearance work whilst also able to break the lines.

I reckon the Gibson one might get done. NM know that they won't get a first rounder for him, but if Hawks are willing to part with a second round pick, then they may well take it considering the whole GC/West Sydney stuff.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, as I said, every team would like him, but most won't want to part with what Port will accept. Port would feel a bit ripped off getting only Lovett for Shaun, but it might be as good an offer as they get. Port could well be the best place for Lovett - they've had a few guys succeed there on second chances.

Reckon a second round pick in this draft is slightly above the odds for Gibson.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The equation is less simple than Gibson /= 25

Draft is recognised to be a weak draft, reckon that might be overstated but given the eligible population of the draft is a lot less than normal, its obviously not going to be as deep. The top 10 looks pretty good again, but outside that it could drop off pretty quickly. Pick 25 this year could be the equivalent of a 4th rounder last year.
Hawthorn need defenders, pretty obviously.
They have a surfeit of KPF's that are all fairly young, including 2 that should be top players for the next 10 years.

Countering that, Gibson is out of contract and could walk( into the ND and not just the PSD if he chooses this year I believe) but it's very likely he won't get to the Hawks if he does. We do have some options to join Petrie forward (Josh Smith, Tarrant, O'Keefe, Hale) but Hale was rubbish this year and will probably just be backup ruck next year, Smith has a lot to do and might even be delisted, Tarrant needs to get on the park first and O'Keefe is very much developing atm. Don't expect us to use more than 3 (at the very most 4) picks in the ND this year so a pick lower than 37 isn't much use to us.

Also depends what Hawks want Gibson for, probably the best year he's had is this year, when he hasn't played key defender apart from specific jobs, third tall/rebounding defender is his best position, but if Hawthorn want him to play key position, they'll be a bit disspointed imo.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty shocked that Goodwin was even in the 40 for the AA let alone picked in the team. Wouldn't have him in Adelaide's top 5 for the year, let alone one of the best in the comp. Davis also a pretty poor selection IMO, should have been Porplyzia. Rest of the side is okay.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Reckon it's smart business by Burgoyne saying that he's happy to go to Melbourne. Changes the dynamic when he's happy to go to the club that has the number 1 pick in the PSD.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'd like to think he'd consider us, there's plenty of upside about us at the moment. Just as much if not more than the Dons, we're just a few years behind you IMO. Hawks could be a genuine contender though so you'd think he'd want to be there.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Judd was attracted to Carlton by the chance to lead a team being totally rebuilt on-field. And the opportunity to help the environment with Visy, of course.

I want Burgoyne to go to Melbourne, but agree that as a player, if you took a short-term view, Hawthorn or Essendon would be the most attractive.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not saying that he wouldn't want to go there, but it's certainly smart putting it out in the open that he is prepared to head to Melbourne. Puts the heat on Port Adelaide to get the job done at the trade table if they want anything back.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Medhurst out and Pendlebury in!! :-O

not really sure how you can play in a prelim 11 days after breaking your leg - wonder whether Mick is playing ducks and drakes. Him playing makes me kind of nervous.

Redbacks

International Captain
Medhurst out and Pendlebury in!! :-O

not really sure how you can play in a prelim 11 days after breaking your leg - wonder whether Mick is playing ducks and drakes. Him playing makes me kind of nervous.
Seem ridiculous that he will play. The Doc on the sunday morning footy show said the leg is stll broken but the plate either side with seven screws will act as the support. It all sounds good but if the plate fails it could be ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.