• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameeel

International Captain
Code:
AA Team 2009

B: Enright Scarlett Lake
HB: Goodwin Bolton Maxwell
C: Montagna Hayes Selwood
HF: Chapman Riewoldt (c) Swan
F: Davis Fevola Brown
R: Sandilands Judd (vc) Ablett
Int: Boyd, Dal Santo, Goddard, Goodes
Not a great team, imo.

Swan shouldn't be on the HFF, if he wasn't one of the best three rovers, than better luck next year. Davis is also extremely lucky to be there ahead of Porplyzia, and naming Maxwell as better than Gilbert is a joke.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, would have thought that LeCras or Porplyzia would have snuck in front of Davis. Mitch Clark stiff to miss out, usually there is the selection of two ruckmen.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
D Fletcher had a much superior year to Goodwin, Bolton and Maxwell as did Gilbert imo.

Burgoyne to Essendon is a perfect fit imo.... Gives Watson some help as an inside mid.

Burgoyne, Watson, Stanton, Winderlich and Mcveigh as a starting midfield looks very good to me.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
@ Cameel: So in summary, you're opposed to anyone from the team that finished fourth making the team. 8-)

in this era, it's fairly common to have a midfielder on the half forward line. Davis is lucky to be in the 18 ahead of Porps or LeCras, but I think he did enough through the year to deserve a spot on the bench.

Thought Chapman was equally fortunate to be in ahead of LeCras or Porps tbh.

cameeel

International Captain
@ Cameel: So in summary, you're opposed to anyone from the team that finished fourth making the team. 8-)

in this era, it's fairly common to have a midfielder on the half forward line. Davis is lucky to be in the 18 ahead of Porps or LeCras, but I think he did enough through the year to deserve a spot on the bench.

I'm not opposed to Swan making the team, personally I'd have him ahead of Dal Santo on the bench. My issue is that he's been picked out of position, ahead of players better suited for the HFF.

With regards to Davis, I don't think he did enough over the year to be in the AA team - when he was good, he was white hot, but he went missing in a few too many games to be considered for this side imo.

I agree with you on Chapman, 16 games - good or not - shouldn't be enough to earn a spot in the starting 18. And finally, I don't think Maxwell is all that good. To be honest, I'd happily take Prestagiacomo, and especially Gilbert, ahead of him on the half-back flank.

Though, to be fair to Maxwell, he isn't the worst HBF in that time - Goodwin isn't even Adelaide's best half-back ffs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Yeah, Chapman has suffered in terms of AA over the past four or so years because he never ends up playing more than 18 games a season. Think it was more a pay-off for consistency than anything else.

Thought Maxwell might've gotten the pure CHB spot, and Bolton missed out. In the end, reckon that Chapman's spot was either going to be him, Didak or Leon, who has probably been more of a half forward than a pure forward pocket this year. And Didak could've gotten the same criticism as Chapman.

More I think about it, the more I think that Davis should've been on the HFF, and LeCras in the FP.

pasag

RTDAS
Great spray on Davis going missing in the past few matches by Dermie today on SEN :cool:

What? It was either that or 13 ads in a row on mainstream radio.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Dids was a bit unlucky IMO - besides Chapman I can't think who should have missed out for him though. And it's pretty close between Chap and Didak tbh.

mikeW

Chapman had an exceptional year highlighted with his 6 goal 30 possie hall vs Adelaide deff worthy of AA imo.

mikeW

Maxwell has been fantastic this year, and definitely merited a spot. I think Bolton was lucky.
His media reputation grew more than his actual output imo. Can't see how he made it ahead of alot of other tall backs in the league playing as a 3rd tall.

howardj

International Coach
Burgoyne is leavin Port and wants to go to a Melbourne club.

Hardwick should get on the blower and get his former premiership teammate to Punt Road.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Richmond want to give up a high draft pick to get him? I'm just contemplating how gun Melbourne will be in a couple of years, with Watts, picks 1 and 2 this year, plus Burgoyne via the PSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.