• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson not exactly showing himself up to have much defensive ability, looked good going forward, but looked awful at the back today.
Like in which instance? He had Ashley Young in his pocket. Villa hardly created anything, if anything at all. They scored from a dead-ball; an own goal and got a gift of a penalty. That's about it for the whole match. There was little for Liverpool to do defensively.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Liverpool were crap, but Villa looked much worse in open play, IMHO.

Looked more like a relegation dogfight, then a match between two Champions League contenders. Quite entertaining but poor quality.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Like in which instance? He had Ashley Young in his pocket. Villa hardly created anything, if anything at all. They scored from a dead-ball; an own goal and got a gift of a penalty. That's about it for the whole match. There was little for Liverpool to do defensively.
Aside from failing to adequately defend set-pieces?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Poor defending of set pieces and failure to get back into position after his various rampages forward. Thoug hhe may not have been exposed from it, it's like saying it's ok for a batsman to play and miss a few times, sooner or later it will cost him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Poor defending of set pieces and failure to get back into position after his various rampages forward. Thoug hhe may not have been exposed from it, it's like saying it's ok for a batsman to play and miss a few times, sooner or later it will cost him.
Word...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Stats are irrelevant as Villa of course was going to concede possession and draw shots. They were 2-0 up away from home and before the second goal, Liverpool practically only had two good chances, once is the first 35 seconds and then a scramble where everyone had a shot.

And football chat isn't like cricket chat, we don't doctor stats for argument's sake.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Stats are irrelevant as Villa of course was going to concede possession and draw shots. They were 2-0 up away from home and before the second goal, Liverpool practically only had two good chances, once is the first 35 seconds and then scramble where everyone had a shot.

And football chat isn't like cricket chat, we don't doctor stats for argument's sake.
We should do it more often..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Stats in all sports should largely be used for illustrative purposes for mine, though they make for an interesting read, there is only so much you can take from them, apart from the extremely obvious. Sport is generally an art, not a science so to speak.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stats should be viewed within the context of what actually happened in the match. It wasn't smash and grab by any stretch of the imagination. Villa got a couple up and decided to absorb everything. There were times when they looked the more dangerous team with their counters tbh.

Poor Gerrard though; he knew they needed a penalty. Lad just forgot which box it was.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What are you talking about? They only had a few set pieces in the match and the ones they scored from had nothing to do with Johnson. One was an own goal, the other was a goal from the front post on the other side of defense. And no, he didn't fail to get back into position on those set pieces. Indeed, it would be hard to when Villa are trying to waste time.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Everton sign Russian winger Diniyar Bilyaletdinov from Lokomotiv Moscow for around £10m. He has since gone back to Russia to sort out his WP. Ever Banega should also make his season loan from Valencia official.

Barca to sign Ukraine central defender Dmytro Chygrynskiy from Shakhtar Donetsk.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What are you talking about? They only had a few set pieces in the match and the ones they scored from had nothing to do with Johnson. One was an own goal, the other was a goal from the front post on the other side of defense. And no, he didn't fail to get back into position on those set pieces. Indeed, it would be hard to when Villa are trying to waste time.
Well, obviously I'm talking about the times he poorly defended set pieces and didn't get back into position. Unfortunately I don't have the statistics and exact minute of the match in which all of these instances occured. But they happened none the less, as I watched them with my very eyes, and judging by the posts made by others in agreement with my original point, I was not the only one to see them.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Is it me or were Liverpool denied two penalties? Well at least they did to me.
Maybe one, don't think there was two. The Torres one looked like one as he was taken down with no attempt/contact on the ball.

Goals

Liverpool: 1
Aston Villa: 3
Yes, and I don't give any excuses. We have to be much better and make less mistakes. At this level, a handful of mistakes against even Burnley (;)) can cost you a game, let alone Aston Villa.

Well, obviously I'm talking about the times he poorly defended set pieces and didn't get back into position. Unfortunately I don't have the statistics and exact minute of the match in which all of these instances occured. But they happened none the less, as I watched them with my very eyes, and judging by the posts made by others in agreement with my original point, I was not the only one to see them.
Villa had few set-pieces, first of all. Second of all, the ones we conceded from, Villa took an age to set up and for Johnson to have not come back would be akin to him walking around 2-3 minutes, and that just didn't happen. I could understand you saying he didn't come back in the middle of the game (not set-pieces) but then again, that would be Mascherano's/Lucas' job to cover while he went up.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Indeed, though him defending the set pieces poorly and him not getting back are two totally seperate things, him not being back for set pieces really would abominable, he wasn't that bad. There we just numerous occasions on which he stormed up the pitch, the ball was lost, and it was booted back down the ground into the space where he had just ran from and picked up by Young, against a good team, this sort of thing can be extremely costly. Also, contrary to popular belief, the job of a holding midfielder is to provide protection for the two centre backs, not the full backs, if a holding player is dragged out wide to cover for someone who has gone awol it totally defeats the point of playing them in the first place. Cover for the full backs is supposed to be provided by the man in front of them, its why during their golden stage, Ashley Cole and Pires were so effective, both were goofd whilst going forward, but you will notice that neither did so at the same time, and were very very rarely exposed down the left side.

Last edited: