• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeh, Strauss's at Lords, Trott's in this game, and North and Clarke's big scores at Edgbaston rank higher in the context of the series for me.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still nervous, but can breathe a little easier. Is odd though, how many of the Oz wickets have been down to crass stupidity rather then English brilliance. I genuinely feel the crims would of got up, if they had brains.

This post in no way trying to make Aussies feel worse, BTW :p

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
In the context of the series, i'd have to say Collingwood's or Anderson's at Cardiff have proved to be the most important.
Those were more important innings, but in terms of technical proficiency, temperament and quality of construction I'd place this Hussey innings right up there, his shot selection has been supreme. I'd place Strauss at Lords a little behind it, also think Clarke's played beautifully this summer. North was awesome at Edgbaston too.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last night I thought they had no chance, but after today I'm seriously thinking Australia could have done this. I'm not interested in all the "500 is a big number and it hasn't been done before, therefore it's impossible." England's bowling has been mediocre at best, the pitch is seriously slow and once you're in you can score as many runs as you like.

As long as you don't leave a straight ball, hit it straight to a fielder then run, play a sweep from outside your crease or whack the ball 100 feet into the air down midwicket's throat.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Still nervous, but can breathe a little easier. Is odd though, how many of the Oz wickets have been down to crass stupidity rather then English brilliance. I genuinely feel the crims would of got up, if they had brains.

Just points out the obvious TBH, frustrating as sin.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Haha, exactly what I was typing.

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
Those were more important innings, but in terms of technical proficiency, temperament and quality of construction I'd place this Hussey innings right up there, his shot selection has been supreme. I'd place Strauss at Lords a little behind it, also think Clarke's played beautifully this summer. North was awesome at Edgbaston too.
Hardly been chanceless though... granted the pitch has arguably been the toughest to bat on...

another for harmy!!!

pity... thought swann had a shot at 10 for the match...

tooextracool

International Coach
This is a pretty flat pitch for the faster bowlers and whilst I think Hussey has done well to score a century, I think the quality of his innings is already being overrated. Swann is the only one whos got assistance out of the pitch this inning and hes varied between mediocre and unplayable throughout the game.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, anything could have happened today if it wasn't for those two run outs in the middle. That's cricket though, congrats England.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Last night I thought they had no chance, but after today I'm seriously thinking Australia could have done this. I'm not interested in all the "500 is a big number and it hasn't been done before, therefore it's impossible." England's bowling has been mediocre at best, the pitch is seriously slow and once you're in you can score as many runs as you like.

As long as you don't leave a straight ball, hit it straight to a fielder then run, play a sweep from outside your crease or whack the ball 100 feet into the air down midwicket's throat.
Nah see just because Australia have thrown there wickets away, you're ignoring the amount of times edges fell short and dropped catches which on any given day could have been taken.

That's the nature of a 500 chase. This **** happens all the time.