• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

pup11

International Coach
Its hardly like he' been brilliant before that tbf. Johnson without swing is a very ordinary bowler, we've seen it time and time again.
That might be true on slow and low decks, but on hard bouncy tracks, he would trouble most batsmen with his and bounce, as he has proved in recent times.

Woodster

International Captain
Another partnership building, but we need at lease one real match-defining one, one that will really grab the initiative. Bell now playing nicely, and Collingwood just using the pace of the ball, nice little tucks off his pads to keep the board ticking. Would think maybe North might be on pretty soon to try something different, or will Ponting stubbornness resist using a slow bowler as it insinuates a proper spinner may have been a decent option.

pup11

International Coach
Why would using spineless be wrong? I clearly did mention for no fault of his own.
spinelessness - the quality of lacking a strong character; an irresolute disposition, uncourageous

The word makes no sense in the context that you used it in...:)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a bizarre mix of very good and completely **** house batting in that over from Collingwood.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is what I love about Hilf, can string together a lot of overs in a spell and still bowl accurately at a good pace, and unlike other genuine swing bowlers, he doesn't completely rely on the ball to swing in order to be effective.
Hilfenhaus is bowling the spell of the day and was almost rewarded for it last over. Love how he can extract the little movement to create doubt.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shane Watson is unwell. :laugh:
In other news, the Sun came up in the East today....

I just can't stand seeing Bell score runs. That ferret-like bloody crinkling of his nose ****s me no end. It's like one of the Bellamys in The Goodies send up of Watership Down. ****.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In other news, the Sun came up in the East today....

I just can't stand seeing Bell score runs. That ferret-like bloody crinkling of his nose ****s me no end. It's like one of the Bellamys in The Goodies send up of Watership Down. ****.
Me either actually. Reminds me of club matches where the guy who is obviously **** gets runs.

tooextracool

International Coach
Bloody Marcus North has been doing it all series, it's only fair to get a reverse dose of it at some point. Bell probably has more potential than North anyways.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
My alarm didn't go off. Angry angry Jamee.

Has this been an innings of Ian Bell showing he's not useless, or the pitch being depressingly flat?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
My alarm didn't go off. Angry angry Jamee.

Has this been an innings of Ian Bell showing he's not useless, or the pitch being depressingly flat?
Bell showing he is useless in the first session, but not tested enough. Second session, Bell has hung around tackling Hilfenhaus who is getting little help but is bowling well. This is a good batting track on the first day though it will crumble later on in the test. England should target 400-450 which seems a fair bit away right now. One wicket and it would all fall into disarray. There is not much help for the bowlers though, it must be said, so this is a golden chance for England to pile on the runs.

EDIT - and both sides have made **** selections - England dropping Onions and Australia choosing four fast bowlers.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
........and with the flick of a switch son, that was the moment Johnson reverted back to liability mode in time for the 5th test in 2009.......

tooextracool

International Coach
Bell has so far applied himself exceedingly well, but he's obviously still far from getting his job done. There has been a little bit in the conditions, but on the whole it seems extremely flat with a fastish outfield that's allowed batsmen to get maximum value for their shots.