• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
As attacking forces only. Defensively United better in terms of world class players.
Sure. That is what I was referring to.

Good/decent centre backs are ten to a dozen. Stick for example Chris Samba in for Vidic and Man U are still defensively solid but stick Jason Robert up top instead of Torres and Liverpool are no longer a top four side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It wasn't your argument at all. You jumped in barefooted while I was talking to somebody else. I assumed you were adopting his position but it seems you don't know what it was I was actually replying to.

You don't seem to understand: the person who said Xabi was the best player used the forums/polls/fan opinion. And I used an even bigger/wider site's poll which clearly put Gerrard ahead. So, I don't understand your point at all. How can he use RAWK yet I can't use Liverpool's own official site?
Having read on it would appear that you've got a bit confused here, so try again. Just for the record, this is a forum not a private conversation, so I'll jump into anything I want, thanks. As I've been saying all along, I wasn't adopting either position, merely doubting the credibility of using ANY sort of fans' forum as a reliable source.

TBH, in my experience it is usually United fans. As much I wouldn't like to admit it, you guys have won more and will attract these fans more.

Still, what do you want me to say to that? In your experience you've met a lot of clueless 'Pool fans? That's unfortunate, but it's neither here nor there really.
Please ****ing god tell me you didn't just call me a United fan? Tempted to report the post. You best apologise.

And yeah, I've met a lot of clueless Liverpool fans, because I am from Merseyside. You say it's neither here nor there, I say it is why I am saying that just because the fans say someone is better than someone else, it doesn't make it true, because they are all full of ****.

Sorry mate, you can't have it both ways. Gerrard largely played in the middle in that season and racked up a huge number of goals and practically assisted most of Torres goals himself. He was absolutely immense, yet Torres got the votes. So clearly, people are not that blind, or that biased towards Gerrard. I mean Torres is selling more shirts than Gerrard nowadays. You gotta understand, a lot of Pool fans don't like Gerrard for some inane reasons: think he's a diver (ok, maybe he has had a few but he is no C.Ronaldo), hate that the team is referred as a one-man team; like other players and hate that Gerrard steals the spotlight; etc.

That isn't to say that citing polls is a clear-cut thing and sure they have fallacies, but that goes for both the official Liverpool site and the RAWK. And Gerrard not only won the fans vote, but all the LFC.TV journalist's vote. He had more Man of the Month than anyone by quite a bit.
Gerrard and Torres are both the poster boys for LFC though. You'll never see Mascherano or Skrtel grab such an award on the web, because people who never watch any games aren't really aware of any contributions that these guys make. Honestly, you look at Liverpool's scoresheet and more often than not it's either Gerrard or Torres on there. They all go on, "Nando is a true diehard red," yeah I heard that kids grow up on the streets of Madrid or wherever dreaming of playing for Liverpool....puhlease

Anyway, gone off topic a bit there, but the point is I wasn't purely saying Gerrard wins the polls because he's the most popular, but that a lot of the people who vote don't know what they are talking about and take the easy option.

And who are these reds that hate Gerrard? I don't think I've ever met any.

It's a very easy question: if they wanted Barry instead of Alonso, why did it not happen? It wasn't an issue of money because as I explained the differences added up would have been less than the subsequent Riera transfer. I am not saying Alonso would have stayed had we bought Barry, but I am saying it did not hinge on a straight swap like that and the reason he was in the transfer list were because of his performances the year prior. He was mentioned for sale, provided the price was right, even before Liverpool even went after Barry. You think had he performed well he would be sold at all? He wouldn't have as Rafa showed he clearly wanted Alonso this year. So there is little doubt in my mind that Alonso was put up for transfer because he had been letting himself down, not that Alonso was fine but simply rated Barry higher.
Villa wouldn't sell them barry, that's why. maybe it wouldn't have been a straight swap, but they were getting rid of Alonso to make room for Barry; you're probably right that they wouldn't have felt the need to do so had they felt Alonso had been performing better, but to say that it's revisionist to suggest Benitez wanted Alonso out, Barry in is a bit off. And if there was no hint of that being the main issue, then why was every Liverpool fan I spoke to at the time saying, "ALonso's better than barry, what are we doing?"

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I thought you said that the problem with fan forums is that people read an opinion and run with it.

Essentially the same thing has happened with Gerrard, though not necessarily on fan forums.

Gerrard has a knack of scoring crucial goals at crucial times, and playing well when it matters most, saving his poorer games for seemingly meaningless ones. That's obviously no bad thing, but it does go some way to explaining why Liverpool haven't won the league - the dropped points (especially at home) against poorer sides last season were often just as much down to players like Gerrard being anonymous than the lack of depth in the squad. And it is also true that he has failed to live up to his standards at Liverpool when playing for England.

I'll say again - I do rate him highly, but he is overrated IMO and I'm not sure whether or not I agree with GIMH labelling him world-class. Borderline IMO.
I disagree with that because he goes missing no more than the best players in the world - which isn't much. His scoring and assist ratio (nevermind the defensive aspect of his game) is around the best in the world. He simply can't show up every game and win it for us. This is where our depth is a problem because a lot of our players cash in when the going's good and not when we need them to. That's why Fernando has been such a blessing because he is actually consistent and helps Stevie G out.

Even for England, he has played out of position for most of his career yet has almost the same scoring frequency as a Lampard or a Scholes. He was your joint top scorer at the last world cup and one of the highest in the qualifiers - playing DM. Simply put, your managers have utilised him poorly. If he had free reign as he did in Liverpool and failed I would side with you but he's beaten better teams with Liverpool in his natural position, whilst the difference between his team and the opposition have been greater than that of any of England's.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Having read on it would appear that you've got a bit confused here, so try again. Just for the record, this is a forum not a private conversation, so I'll jump into anything I want, thanks. As I've been saying all along, I wasn't adopting either position, merely doubting the credibility of using ANY sort of fans' forum as a reliable source.
Yeh, it seems to be by my misunderstanding. Apologies. I thought you were saying what I thought Tom was saying was OK but not me.

Please ****ing god tell me you didn't just call me a United fan? Tempted to report the post. You best apologise.
LOL, apologies.

And yeah, I've met a lot of clueless Liverpool fans, because I am from Merseyside. You say it's neither here nor there, I say it is why I am saying that just because the fans say someone is better than someone else, it doesn't make it true, because they are all full of ****.
I agree, which is why I don't cite what fans think of Gerrard. I did so because that is what I thought someone else did. I cite the best players in the world and the best coaches in the world saying he is the best midfielder/player in the world. While I agree that he is, I don't think it's necessarily beyond argument. What I do think is beyond argument is that he is "simply a good club player" or "barely world-class".

Gerrard and Torres are both the poster boys for LFC though. You'll never see Mascherano or Skrtel grab such an award on the web, because people who never watch any games aren't really aware of any contributions that these guys make. Honestly, you look at Liverpool's scoresheet and more often than not it's either Gerrard or Torres on there. They all go on, "Nando is a true diehard red," yeah I heard that kids grow up on the streets of Madrid or wherever dreaming of playing for Liverpool....puhlease
Yeah sure, the fans might and I agree. But other players and other pro players and coaches...journalists? I think saying they'll simply rate Gerrard over Alonso on such flimsy reasoning is a stretch.

And what are you talking about mate? Torres IS a true red :laugh:. I think he was though:huh:, at Atleti, inside his arm-band it said "We'll Never Walk Alone"

Anyway, gone off topic a bit there, but the point is I wasn't purely saying Gerrard wins the polls because he's the most popular, but that a lot of the people who vote don't know what they are talking about and take the easy option.
I agree, I don't consider polls valid for much really. I just used a poll to lord it over another poll :p.

And who are these reds that hate Gerrard? I don't think I've ever met any.
Man, there's quite a bunch in many LFC forums. Granted, they are outnumbered but they are pretty boisterous about it. A lot still hanging on from when he was deciding to go to Chelsea.

Villa wouldn't sell them barry, that's why. maybe it wouldn't have been a straight swap, but they were getting rid of Alonso to make room for Barry; you're probably right that they wouldn't have felt the need to do so had they felt Alonso had been performing better, but to say that it's revisionist to suggest Benitez wanted Alonso out, Barry in is a bit off. And if there was no hint of that being the main issue, then why was every Liverpool fan I spoke to at the time saying, "ALonso's better than barry, what are we doing?"
That's not what allegedly happened. Villa said they would sell Barry but for 16 mill, which we didn't meet.

I didn't say it was revisionist to say Alonso would have went if Barry had come, that's probably what would have happened. But Alonso wasn't put on the transfer market FOR Barry initially. And I agree with you, in fact I said it in an earlier post that people weren't surprised that Alonso was on the transfer market, but that Barry was eventually scored out as his replacement. Of course, people thought of Xabi as their own and didn't want him to leave anyway. IIRC, there were banners, etc, at pre-season asking Rafa to keep Xabi.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Okay, I think we have pretty much reached a point of agreement there, fair.

FTR I do rate Gerrard very highly, and I don't think all Liverpool fans are ****, but they do have the most clueless people that I know attaching themselves to them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sure. That is what I was referring to.

Good/decent centre backs are ten to a dozen. Stick for example Chris Samba in for Vidic and Man U are still defensively solid but stick Jason Robert up top instead of Torres and Liverpool are no longer a top four side.
Top post, this.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rooney is different to Gerrard in that Rooney can look a league ahead of other players at *any* level on a good day, he just hasn't done it much since Euro 2004 (god 5 years ago already) because he keeps trying to play like he's on a Nike advert. Gerrard is consistently meh if you put him in a game with international quality players.

I figure Ronaldo's presence might have had something to do with the way Rooney played.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gerrard has constantly looked class in the CL, where most of the players are clearly international quality.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Going to Brentford v Norwich tomorrow. Staying with my gfs uncle on the UK leg of our round the world trip and he lives within walking distance of Brentfords home ground. Going to the local pub for beers, then walking trecking to the game like a good local supporter.

Not going to buy a shirt or anything, but I'm pretty excited actually. Had tickets for the Blackburn-Fulham match but it has been postponed :( Next best thing I guess.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lower league>>>Prem mate, good call. brentford a good one to go to as well as there is a pub on each corner of the ground.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Lower league>>>Prem mate, good call. brentford a good one to go to as well as there is a pub on each corner of the ground.
Haha yeah although I wont lie, I would have gone to the Rovers match if I had the opportunity. We all wanted to see a game though, and frankly the thought of shelling out big bucks to see a team I don't care about like Spurs or Chelsea didn't appeal to me in the slightlest. Made me slightly ill actually.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha yeah although I wont lie, I would have gone to the Rovers match if I had the opportunity. We all wanted to see a game though, and frankly the thought of shelling out big bucks to see a team I don't care about like Spurs or Chelsea didn't appeal to me in the slightlest. Made me slightly ill actually.
Really? That's fair enough, but I always assumed someone who was only over for a limited time would want to take the opportunity to go and see the biggest match possible. Nothing wrong with not doing so mind you, good on you in fact.

Scaly piscine

Defoe having a big cry and playing the race card. What a turd.

For those who aren't aware he's suing the police because they made a ****-up when arresting him (they thought he was banned from driving, but that had been suspended), now playing the race/conspiracy card because they happened to stop him again (just a regulation stop) a few days later.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5glW_nQkESWrroOYLYad3eA9dtMdg

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not English, just want to know people's thoughts on this.
There was talk of something similar here back in the mid-late 80s when our hooliganism problem was at its peak.

I suppose one could say it's an infringement of civil liberties, but (I think I'm right in saying) Italian citizens have to carry id cards anyway; this is just an extention of that.

Tacit recognition they have a real issue with violence tho. As someone who's old enough to remember our European ban it still rankles that other countries get a rather easier ride about theirs than we did.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Defoe having a big cry and playing the race card. What a turd.

For those who aren't aware he's suing the police because they made a ****-up when arresting him (they thought he was banned from driving, but that had been suspended), now playing the race/conspiracy card because they happened to stop him again (just a regulation stop) a few days later.

The Press Association: Defoe accuses police of harassment
Pathetic, I always think it's really poor when someone in the public eye does this sort of thing to be honest. Having a moan about the police like this does little good to anyone, and sets a poor example for mine.

Pothas

Going to Brentford v Norwich tomorrow. Staying with my gfs uncle on the UK leg of our round the world trip and he lives within walking distance of Brentfords home ground. Going to the local pub for beers, then walking trecking to the game like a good local supporter.

Not going to buy a shirt or anything, but I'm pretty excited actually. Had tickets for the Blackburn-Fulham match but it has been postponed :( Next best thing I guess.
You are going to the very best club in the world tomorow. make sure you go to all 4 local pubs as well. If you ever wanted to a proper old fashioned football ground then Griffin Park is perfect. Anoyingly I have work again tomorow night so I still have to wait for my first game of the seaosn.