• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, completely AWTA plus as I said last night, I think even if a Brizzle player said "it went in" the referee could well still uphold their original decision

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Much prefer a minute's applause to a minute's silence, nice
Undecided myself. I like the thinking behind it, but do reckon the silence is somehow more poignant because stadia are generally noisy places and the silence (when properly observed) seems to stand out more than the applause.

Brum have come to park the bus then, anyway.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Much prefer a minute's applause to a minute's silence, nice
Agreed, I was at Leeds, and if it had been silence I'm sure the ***** would have been singing "only one don Revie". It's a shame but minute silences are often ruined by the ****-minority in the crowd, so this is a better idea, particularly to celebrate someone like Sir Bobby.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Undecided myself. I like the thinking behind it, but do reckon the silence is somehow more poignant because stadia are generally noisy places and the silence (when properly observed) seems to stand out more than the applause.

Brum have come to park the bus then, anyway.

Oh I know what you mean Brumby but I think grecian has touched on why I prefer the applause in the quote below. I remember a few years back, a former White, Steve Cooper had died, only about 40. He'd also previously played for Plymouth, and by coincidence the day after he died we played Plymouth. there was a minute's silence, and some little scally ****s were sitting there openly talking and laughing throughout, was fuming. That sort of thing has happened loads in a minute's silence.

Obviously for something that was on a Hillsborough or Munich type scale I'd advocate a silence but when someone like George Best or Bobby Robson passes on, the applause works well I reckon.

Agreed, I was at Leeds, and if it had been silence I'm sure the ***** would have been singing "only one don Revie". It's a shame but minute silences are often ruined by the ****-minority in the crowd, so this is a better idea, particularly to celebrate someone like Sir Bobby.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
As for Blackburn v Citeh, Richard Dunne was heart-in-the-mouth defending at times.
I thought he was really good considering he's not a tall man and when Blackburn did play through the feet our midfield (bar Barry) just didn't work hard enough to help the defense. It's easy to just blame Richard Dunne for everything but really, it's a team problem and it needs to be addressed. Some of the situations he is being put in just aren't good enough from the rest of the guys.

I really thought we were going to pay for not playing De Jong over SWP and on another day we could've lost by a decent margin for that very reason.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Did anyone see The Sunday Supplement on Sky today? The scribes (Neil Custis in particularly) were suggesting that Brizzle were somehow to blame because they didn't alert the officials! Pie in the sky or what? Have they not been watching football for the last decade??!!?! Feigning, shirt-pulling and time-wasting are endemic, but a team should admit they've conceded. For me it's like not walking; it's the officials' call and there's no obligation on the opposing team to own up.
I'm not so sure to be honest. I mean, shirt pulling and time wasting could at a stretch be considering "gamesmanship", but this was just out and out cheating. I don't really see how walking is any different, surely whether or not you are out in cricket is also at the discretion of the umpires? It's the exact same thing for mine.

That said, much as I hate Neil Warnock, I am right behind him on this one, it's a right stinker, absolutely dreadful decision.

fredfertang

Doesn't the rule book prevent a ref giving a decision if none of the officials saw it whatever the players might want?

I like to think they all saw and just didn't give it 'cos they all know Warnock is a **** and want him out of the game

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not so sure to be honest. I mean, shirt pulling and time wasting could at a stretch be considering "gamesmanship", but this was just out and out cheating. I don't really see how walking is any different, surely whether or not you are out in cricket is also at the discretion of the umpires? It's the exact same thing for mine.

That said, much as I hate Neil Warnock, I am right behind him on this one, it's a right stinker, absolutely dreadful decision.
I don't think it is cheating, a constant refrain amongst fans and pundits is "play to the whistle" and that's exactly what City did. It's certainly against no specific law I know of, whereas shirt pulling and time wasting are.

Rather like walking in cricket, it'd be nice to see, but I don't think we can demand it of players.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think it is cheating, a constant refrain amongst fans and pundits is "play to the whistle" and that's exactly what City did. It's certainly against no specific law I know of, whereas shirt pulling and time wasting are.

Rather like walking in cricket, it'd be nice to see, but I don't think we can demand it of players.
Yeah that's fair enough, I was more curious about how you would draw a distinction between an incident like this and walking in cricket really. As although you are absolutely right in saying in football you are taught to play to the whistle, in cricket you are also taught to respect the men in white coats and not questions the decisions they make, so why walk if they say you are not out?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well walking sometimes spares the umps a decision I guess. I'm sure plenty of batsmen who have walked would have been given anyway.

Fletcher should have scored there

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah that's fair enough, I was more curious about how you would draw a distinction between an incident like this and walking in cricket really. As although you are absolutely right in saying in football you are taught to play to the whistle, in cricket you are also taught to respect the men in white coats and not questions the decisions they make, so why walk if they say you are not out?
I wasn't, I was saying that Brizzle not saying "it was a goal, ref" is like a player not walking. Both cases are analogous IMHO because in each instance the players are leaving the decision to the officials. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I still haven't seen this interview with the Brizzle chairman that steds mentioned, sounds hilarious

Majin

International Debutant
Loads of good stuff yesterday, Glad we managed to pick up a win first up despite our shocking offseason performances. Quite enjoyed Stephen Irelands goal, though I don't think i'll ever be able to get past him and his head that looks like a thumb, disturbs me. That Volley from the Wigan player whose name I get wrong every time I try and type it so I won't bother was a beast as well.

Need big things from Liverpool today or my fantasy team is in the ****.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I wasn't, I was saying that Brizzle not saying "it was a goal, ref" is like a player not walking. Both cases are analogous IMHO because in each instance the players are leaving the decision to the officials. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Ah right, fair enough, no worries.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is a crap pic. I screenshotted it from youtube so it's not great and there are probably better ones out there, but the point is you can see where the ball is

grecian

Birmingham = Relegation certs.
Dunno, a lot of crap teams in the Division I'm afraid. Pompey and Hull in freefall, and not impressed with any of the ones that have come up, which does include Brum admittedly. Can't really see a Stoke or Wigan amongst those three. Perm any from those five, I'd of thought.

It's been quite a frustratingly stupid match this though, and does give credence to some of the Prems detractors. Surely with the loss of a number of key defensive players for Man U, Birmingham should of had a go. Instead they park the bus and allow Man U to create pressure, and inevitably the goals come. Birmingham have looked quite threatening at times when they occasionally attack.

Btw I'm not saying Man U wouldn't of won even if Brum had gone for it, probably about 4-2, but it would of been a better chance for them IMHO, if they'd had a go, and more entertaining then this insipid (unless you support Man U) affair.