• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bell obviously wouldn't be my choice to bat at 3, but the batting line-up seems to be set in stone.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
As long as Monty and Harmison doesn't play, that is fine.

Anderson will mostly likely get tonked but that is inconsequential as he maybe a real threat in South Africa and needs the confidence. The batting is much of muchness, Bell, Trott, Ravi, Ramps, doesn't matter, flat Oval wicket, everyone should make hay and if you don't, then that is your lot.

Fearing the bore draw. Lot will depend on Swann.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This has been a gripe of my own, but I feel it is more an exception rather than a 'for example'. The ability to play subcontinental spinners in general (they were shocking against Harbhajan too) has not improved in recent times and it is difficult to explain but not a reason to dismiss the level of Division One.

It is. Warne, Kaneria & Mushy have been here & even though they take a bag of wickets, none seem to learn. Few or ENGs batsmen have come into international cricket & played spin with any degree of confidence.

Hard to say that Adams was never Test quality, looking at how he did in his only Test and his FC stats (as well as watching him bowl). Shreck is not Test class but a solid FC opening seamer and Ealham is an experienced, canny bowler who is still taking wickets this season and so cannot be dismissed as over the hill. They are not near the Australian attack, but no FC attack can be expected to be.
Adams was never test quality, he had a decent one test againts ENG in helpul conditions in 02, but NZ likely dropped him for a reason. He could pass as an ODI cricketer.

The fact that Ealham is still taking FC wickets so consistently is one of the problems of our FC system. He was never test quality. These old crocks like, Cork, Hick, Ramps, Caddick etc should have been fazed out ages ago for some younger player. The fact that continued to have so much use @ FC for so long is gash.

No FC attack can 100% be test quality i agree. Although i remember some AUS FC attacks in recent years like Bichel/Kasprowicz/Daws/Noffke, 2008/09 AUS Domestic Final plus a few others over the years.

But the key is if a batsman dominantes the FC bowling & gets selected for tests. He needs to then prove he can adapt & take it to the next level, Bell hasn't done that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The fact that Ealham is still taking FC wickets so consistently is one of the problems of our FC system. He was never test quality. These old crocks like, Cork, Hick, Ramps, Caddick etc should have been fazed out ages ago for some younger player. The fact that continued to have so much use @ FC for so long is gash.
They can hardly be blamed for that though, if I were them I would keep on playing as long as I was able to do a decent job to the standard required, and they unquestionably can.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Panesar in for Harmison, and Trott in for Bopara.

Panesar has no chance of doing better than Harmison, apart from the fact he bowls more overs - but that's what you'd expect from spinners. Generally, if you bowl more balls, you get more wickets. Trott in for Bopara is a better selection though.

JBH001

International Regular
I'll lol so hard if England play two spinners at the Oval, and drop Onions. Collingwood should go upto 4, but I dont know whether he should be exposed to the new ball too early - almost an inevitability with Bell at 3. A lot of pressure on Strauss and Cook to get a solid partnership together. Ah well, at least Clark looks unlikely to play.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What the **** is that useless heap of **** Donkey Panesar doing in the squad? Are the selectors the biggest ****wits on the planet? Even his mum wouldn't select that toothless clown.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Panesar to to a Tuffnell 97 and prove everyone wrong.

Although on the other hand, he's more likely to do a Tufnell 2001. Goodbye Urn.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How gutted would you be if you were Onions and got dropped for this? If i was him and got the chop, I'd be in tears

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
If Onions gets dropped it will be one of the most disgraceful selection decisions i've ever witnessed from our joke selection panel. And let's face it, there's an absolute shedload to chose from.

I mean, where's all the puns gonna come from if there's no Graeme? And Lily will be mortified. :(

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Squad confirmed as David Hopps in yer Guardian foretold.

Depressing. :mellow:
Entirely predictable though, selectors can claim that it is a logical move while doing very little to adress Englands problems. Surley it will just be Harmison out for Flintoff? Would be amazed if they played Monty.