• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Love Ronnie. Have suggested Watson in the other thread but would be very happy with McDonald into the team.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon the only person that can come in for Johnson is MacDonald, I don't think they'll go in with a tail of Hauritz, Siddle, Clark, Hilfenhaus.

Of course, that makes the Aussie team even duller than it is atm.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he can bowl out tailenders against a dire team.
Demonstrates just how bad the competition is though. Midge Johnson got smashed by the same team.

Tbf, that's what we missed in Cardiff. I reckon the Poms would play him very poorly, and if there was a bit of swing around...
I'd have no problems with his selection, but I'm intrigued as to why you think England would play him poorly. If I were to name the typical county bowler who these guys will have grown up playing against day in, day out, McDonald would be the one.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know you're obviously joking about Jonty (at least I think/hope so :ph34r:) but aren't I right in thinking that you can actually pick someone of any nationality to be your sub fielder?
Yeah, Frederick Klokker subbed for us when he was on the groundstaff at MCC and Trevor Penney played in the last Ashes. Although he may've been qualified by then, dunno.

I'd have no problems with his selection, but I'm intrigued as to why you think England would play him poorly. If I were to name the typical county bowler who these guys will have grown up playing against day in, day out, McDonald would be the one.
Not really a typical English county trundler from what I've seen. Bowls a lot fuller than the usual fast/med seamers that proliferate in our domestic scene. McDonald more wicket-to-wicket. Ealham the closest ringer for him I can think of. Clark's far more of an "English" sort of bowler.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Taking into consideration the tour game just completed.

1. Hughes
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. North
7. Haddin
8. Hauritz
9. Siddle
10. Clark
11. Hilfenhaus

Watson still misses out for me, if North or Hussey fail in the next match, then it's potentially time for Watson to come in.

Woodster

International Captain
While I think England will play Andrew McDonald fairly comfortably, I had similar thoughts when they came up against Darren Sammy (on debut) at Old Trafford, who is of the same ilk as McDonald, and took 7-66. As I mentioned previously, Stuart Clark is the one I would fear most in the Aussie line-up. His accuracy will offer Ponting a degree of control, while also represent a wicket-taking threat, especially if conditions are conducive to his style of seam bowling.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
While I think England will play Andrew McDonald fairly comfortably, I had similar thoughts when they came up against Darren Sammy (on debut) at Old Trafford, who is of the same ilk as McDonald, and took 7-66. As I mentioned previously, Stuart Clark is the one I would fear most in the Aussie line-up. His accuracy will offer Ponting a degree of control, while also represent a wicket-taking threat, especially if conditions are conducive to his style of seam bowling.
All of this.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I guess you're right. It could go either way really, but it surprised me that Matt thought England would specifically struggle against a bowler like McDonald. Seems a little counter-intuitive, of current test nations only New Zealand will have more experience of his sort.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Gutted i'll be unable to get time off for this one, last two days of the month and the first day of the month unfortuntely no-no's for me at the moment. Will have to make do with cw/cricinfo combo. Need a cw bbb facility itbt, would be better than cricinfo's...any volunteers?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Not looked at the last one yet but from the dates i think ill be okay...have not booked the first day of Headingly off yet but I will do (though i hate having Fridays off because its only a 6 hour day but I still lose a days holiday) and I'm there on the monday and will probs book the last day off its going to be a good day.