• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know you're obviously joking about Jonty (at least I think/hope so :ph34r:) but aren't I right in thinking that you can actually pick someone of any nationality to be your sub fielder?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I separated them into 2 blocks to show the different divisions.
TBF you could argue that none of the above apply for Trott and maybe even Bell.
Sorry, I hadn't realised how you'd listed them. As for Bell & Trott, I thought Edgbaston had famously been a no-result track in the CC for the last few years.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I kow Panesar batted well at Cardiff, but surely that's stretching things a tad.
Haha, no I am commenting on the fact that Scaly clearly despises them both, so he has a choice of either Bell as a batsman or Panesar as a bowler, who does he pick?

Mind you, looks like we might get both

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Going out on a limb and predicting Johnson will rule himself out of the Third Test. I'll be wrong, but obviously has some issues to address.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't pick a man who has just gone for 87 runs for no wickets in 14 overs against Northants. I'd bring Clark in for Johnson. Long tail, but you need to take a chance when 1-0 down in the series.

That's the only change I'm keen on.

social

You can't pick a man who has just gone for 87 runs for no wickets in 14 overs against Northants. I'd bring Clark in for Johnson. Long tail, but you need to take a chance when 1-0 down in the series.

That's the only change I'm keen on.
Look at the selectors' record - it won't happen!

I'd be amazed (pleasantly, I might add!) if it wasnt the same team as at Lords

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Hate to do it (and hope I look like a faithless fool when he is selected and comes spectacularly good in the test) but this performance in the tour match surely has to seal Johnsons fate in the short term.

Clark in for him. Watson in for North. I bagged out people for suggesting it a few days ago, but have since read that this will be a pitch with absolutely nothing in it for the spinners. North's bowling had been largely irrelevant, and while I don't think Watto will take wickets against England like he has vs Northants 2nd XI, he's shown in the past he can bowl a decent line, which would add something (along with Clark) sorely lacking to date.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look at the selectors' record - it won't happen!

I'd be amazed (pleasantly, I might add!) if it wasnt the same team as at Lords
Ah you may be right. But it's what I'd do. Taking a break from the side to work on your bowling when you're having trouble shouldn't be a big deal. It's the mentality of "OMG we can't DROP him! How humiliating for the poor guy!"

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
With regards to Watto, Jim Maxwell was seriously talking him down, saying he was really struggling to get from the end of his runup to the crease and was a few matches away from being able to bowl in a test. He also bowled pretty rubbish up until his wicket in the second dig.

Son Of Coco

Ah you may be right. But it's what I'd do. Taking a break from the side to work on your bowling when you're having trouble shouldn't be a big deal. It's the mentality of "OMG we can't DROP him! How humiliating for the poor guy!"
Yeah I agree. If there are some technical problems he won't work them out in the middle of a match.

social

With regards to Watto, Jim Maxwell was seriously talking him down, saying he was really struggling to get from the end of his runup to the crease and was a few matches away from being able to bowl in a test. He also bowled pretty rubbish up until his wicket in the second dig.
Firstly, Jim Maxwell is an idiot! The guy wouldnt know a decent cricketer if he walked up to him and smacked him in the mouth

Watto can bat and if all we are asking of him is to bowl a couple of decent overs here and there, then he's your man

Forget him bowling 20 overs a day - they havent asked North to do that!

There'll come a time when he averages 45 with the bat, takes a couple of good wickets and fields well and there is no time like the present!