• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That's not what I meant, I just mean in general. If you'd been set 400 to win everyone would reel out all those overused stats about the highest-ever fourth-innings run-chases at each ground when in actual fact you'd almost be home and dry by now. People act like 522 is impossible for no other reason than because the innings has the number four next to its name.

As for today, I agree that it's a long shot. But I won't be switching off any time soon.
There is a reason why the number 4 next to the innings makes it such a difficult, almost impossible, feat. I am sure you are familiar with the variables that make such a score so rare - actually unique - in getting it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a reason that record has stood for so long...
There are lots of reasons. Very few matches involve a team being set a large total with enough time to chase it down, particularly considering the lower scoring rates of previous generations. Of those matches, plenty were played on pitches that deteriorated much more heavily than those of today.

Fourth innings chases are far easier than they've ever been.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is a reason why the number 4 next to the innings makes it such a difficult, almost impossible, feat. I am sure you are familiar with the variables that make such a score so rare - actually unique - in getting it.
All I was saying is that those variables don't always apply. 522 is a crazy score though. Don't think I'm trying to say it's easy.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
We can do it, but only if Clarke/Haddin take off another 150 IMO. Asking the tail to get 100 is just another big ask on what is already another big ask.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If they are jabbing the bejesus out of Flintoff, be interesting to see how many of the last three tests he can play.

Flintoff to take at least a five wicket haul, in his last ever Test (i.e. this one).

Hoggy31

International Captain
We can do it, but only if Clarke/Haddin take off another 150 IMO. Asking the tail to get 100 is just another big ask on what is already another big ask.
Agree, don't want Johnson coming in with still more than 120, at most, to get.

TazzX

U19 12th Man
Prediction: Eng will take a wicket in the first 5ov of this mornigns session. The a little fight and perhaps another wicket just before lunch. They will come out after lunch and wrap things up. A win of 78 runs.

Andre

International Regular
I just remembered how close Clarke was to being bowled first ball yesterday, he left a straight one, and it so nearly took his off-stump out of the ground. I don't think we'd still be talking about Australia having a chance to win if he'd gone then.
Thanks for clearing that up...

Anyway;

Conditions have come up good for the Australians - clear skies around Lords apparently. If the ball doesn't swing and Flintoff pulls up a bit lame from yesterday we are right in this.

If we get through the first hour wicketless it will be seriously close. If Clarke is still there with 100 to get we will get even closer.

Could be one of the great days of Test cricket history here. Has shown why is it the supreme form of the game - and also the most entertaining IMO.