• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The posters saying there's only Johnson to come seem to have forgotten that Hauritz isn't terrible with the bat either.
Yeah agree with this. Siddle can hang around a bit too and we might scrape home if there's an established bat at the other end. House is our only real bunny.

If we lose Haddin and Clarke then we're really boned.

Nervous. Can't imagine how Clarke and Haddin are feeling right now :-O

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's just the nature of cricket that there'd be more pressure on the batsmen, but I bet Strauss is ****ting himself right now as well. If England lost this he'd get absolutely massacred.

Langeveldt

Soutie
What a corking game, of course test cricket is boring and needs to be phased out in favour of T20.. So lets savour this days play.. I'd imagine England are feeling ten times more nervous than the Aussies

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
It's just the nature of cricket that there'd be more pressure on the batsmen, but I bet Strauss is ****ting himself right now as well. If England lost this he'd get absolutely massacred.
Here's hoping he feels he simply has to trust his goto guy, Stuart Broad, this morning.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
At what time of todays play, providing Australia haven't lost a wicket, will the england supporters start praying for rain?

I'll say 90 mins

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
VVS Laxman-Dravid in 2001. If Clarke see's us home tonight, it could turn him from a good batsman into a great batsman.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I think the 4th-innings-is-more-difficult stuff is pretty overplayed these days. Players generally are far more capable of dealing with the pressure (and fitter) than they used to be.
No way. We've only got a fool's chance in this match full stop - it would be madness to expect anything from Hauritz, Siddle and Hilfy today. They're tail-enders for a reason, and that mainly involves not being able to reliably bat well, esp. when there's pressure on. And indeed, in the state Mitch's confidence must be, can't really expect much from him either.

If we are to be any chance, we need to get the majority of the remaining runs before we lose either Clarke or Haddin. Anything more than 40-50 with the tail-enders will be utterly impossible - realistically, 30 would be line ball.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Can see Broad getting the final wicket, inside 20 runs to win. Match how the much-maligned G. Jones took the catch to win Edgbaston.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Can see Broad getting the final wicket, inside 20 runs to win. Match how the much-maligned G. Jones took the catch to win Edgbaston.
Hated that Ponting dismissal yesterday.. If the batsman middles it into his own stumps I don't think the bowler should be credited with the wicket.. Not for any logical reason, just that I hate Broad

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No way. We've only got a fool's chance in this match full stop - it would be madness to expect anything from Hauritz, Siddle and Hilfy today. They're tail-enders for a reason, and that mainly involves not being able to reliably bat well, esp. when there's pressure on. And indeed, in the state Mitch's confidence must be, can't really expect much from him either.

If we are to be any chance, we need to get the majority of the remaining runs before we lose either Clarke or Haddin. Anything more than 40-50 with the tail-enders will be utterly impossible - realistically, 30 would be line ball.
That's not what I meant, I just mean in general. If you'd been set 400 to win everyone would reel out all those overused stats about the highest-ever fourth-innings run-chases at each ground when in actual fact you'd almost be home and dry by now. People act like 522 is impossible for no other reason than because the innings has the number four next to its name.

As for today, I agree that it's a long shot. But I won't be switching off any time soon.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
That's not what I meant, I just mean in general. If you'd been set 400 to win everyone would reel out all those overused stats about the highest-ever fourth-innings run-chases at each ground when in actual fact you'd almost be home and dry by now. People act like 522 is impossible for no other reason than because the innings has the number four next to its name.

As for today, I agree that it's a long shot. But I won't be switching off any time soon.
There's a reason that record has stood for so long...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Come back when he averages under 40 per wicket and stops being one of the most over rated pretty boys ever to play for England.. And why isn't my name capitalized?
He averages 39.89, your statement is just baseless crap, like it wasn't good bowling that got Ponting out

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Hated that Ponting dismissal yesterday.. If the batsman middles it into his own stumps I don't think the bowler should be credited with the wicket.. Not for any logical reason, just that I hate Broad
I swear you hate England more than Burgey.

---

I just remembered how close Clarke was to being bowled first ball yesterday, he left a straight one, and it so nearly took his off-stump out of the ground. I don't think we'd still be talking about Australia having a chance to win if he'd gone then.