• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke would probably be the best Aussie at playing spin. Who'd be the ones from the other teams?

From India I'd nominate Gambhir. He's been excellent against spin for a long time now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I dunno. I've found that in recent times him and in general the rest of the Australian side are superb against poor spin or good spinners on flat tracks but as soon as you get quality spin, or spin on spinning tracks, they're all at sea. That's not even bringing into account their batting vs one-day spin which has been abysmal over the past year.
Swann might've bowled plenty too many Full-Tosses last two Tests but he's also bowled plenty of good-'uns. And both pitches have turned decently. Yet Clarke has looked utterly assured. Streets ahead of everyone else in Australia's side. And I can't say it's seemed all that different for the last year, two years, three years even.

Pigeon

Banned
Great knock from Clarke. Love the bloke - become such a great player. Possibly the best batsman vs spin in the world atm.
Quite a few Sri Lankans and Indian batsmen will disagree. But yes, easily the best Australian (or perhaps Southern hemisphere) batsman against spin now.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
In the meantime, Sir James of Anderson Lord Manor of Burnley has had an off day today. Been outbowled by Broad and that really is saying something.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno. I've found that in recent times him and in general the rest of the Australian side are superb against poor spin or good spinners on flat tracks but as soon as you get quality spin, or spin on spinning tracks, they're all at sea. That's not even bringing into account their batting vs one-day spin which has been abysmal over the past year.
Honestly can't recall how Clarke went in India, but that would be the last time we had those conditions, aside from Vettori in Aus?

pasag

RTDAS
Swann might've bowled plenty too many Full-Tosses last two Tests but he's also bowled plenty of good-'uns. And both pitches have turned decently. Yet Clarke has looked utterly assured. Streets ahead of everyone else in Australia's side. And I can't say it's seemed all that different for the last year, two years, three years even.
No doubt the best in the Aussie side, but that's not saying much in recent times where they've struggled against Paul Harris, made a meal of things in India and have pooped their pants at any spinner who moves in the shorter stuff.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke would probably be the best Aussie at playing spin. Who'd be the ones from the other teams?

From India I'd nominate Gambhir. He's been excellent against spin for a long time now.
England, Prior and KP. South Africa, Amla and Kallis. West Indies, Sarwan.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
In the meantime, Sir James of Anderson Lord Manor of Burnley has had an off day today. Been outbowled by Broad and that really is saying something.
Don't think he's bowled badly..could, maybe should have had 2 wickets and is pitching the ball up...he's gone for a lot of runs but mostly drives and we've plenty of runs to play with.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No doubt the best in the Aussie side, but that's not saying much in recent times where they've struggled against Paul Harris, made a meal of things in India and have pooped their pants at any spinner who moves in the shorter stuff.
Sometime when this game's finished, I'll have a look at how many times he's gotten out to a spinner in recent times.

(Or someone can do it in the meantime if they fancy.)

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
The ability to combat quality spin was perhaps the only weakness of the great australian sides of the 90's 00's

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly can't recall how Clarke went in India, but that would be the last time we had those conditions, aside from Vettori in Aus?
He got done silly by Mishra once but other than that seemed okay from what I remember.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think he's bowled badly..could, maybe should have had 2 wickets and is pitching the ball up...he's gone for a lot of runs but mostly drives and we've plenty of runs to play with.
Yeah, only recall one rank ****e delivery, the Long-Hop to Clarke at the end of his opening spell. Still, he's not exactly swuing it a great deal.