• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Can someone quickly explain the Sydney references for me?
India receive a series of bad umpiring errors on the final day contributing in a fairly significant way to an Australian win in the dying overs. Indian fans on CW (and Indian players in the media) explode, drama ensues.

In the 07/08 season, January 2-5.

edit: Actually, the umpiring errors weren't really on the final day tbh. There were one or two IIRC, but the big one was Symonds getting a couple of letoffs on the way to a big score earlier in the match.

Last edited:

sephiroth123

Cricket Spectator
Also what made it sound more like an edge is when he clipped the ground. In real time it may well sound like a knick even though the truth is he hit the ground with his bat a fraction afterwards. I think my first instinct is it was out but even as an Englishman I'd have to admit that wasn't out.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
8-)

Come off it. Are you trying to kid yourself that Haddin, Clarke and whoever else was fielding around the bat wouldn't have gone up for it? England can be accused of over-appealing at times (in just the same way that Australia can) but there was nothing wrong with that shout.
Yeah it looked like an edge in real time. I'm wondering if Huss clipped the ground too to make it look even more like a catch.

cameeel

International Captain
Nonsense, he got about as close to nicking it as you can without nicking it.
Without nicking it being the problem. As with FaiipdeOiad, I thought he missed it on the live coverage. Certainly there was enough doubt as to whether he'd touched to rule not out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Without nicking it being the problem.
Nah, the problem being that the claim was made that he was miles away from it, when he wasn't.
As with FaiipdeOiad, I thought he missed it on the live coverage. Certainly there was enough doubt as to whether he'd touched to rule not out.
I didn't - nor did any of the commentators, nor apparently anyone on CW in the instant aftermath. If you (or Fuller) did, well then, you clearly had some sort of jedi glasses on.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't help myself.
I'm very naughty.
Thing is, your point is (with respect) a really poor one. Prior should have appealed for that 100 times out of 100. And given Australia's record of over-appealing both in recent years and (on numerous occasions) at Cardiff, it really doesn't sit easily for Aussie fans to complain about other side's over-appealing

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I challenge anyone who saw that live to honestly say they didn't think Hussey had hit it.

Wrong decision, but pretty harsh to actually rip into the umpire about it, IMO. Looked and sounded like a regulation first slip catch.
Assuming we had referrals in this series, would we have gotten the correct decision? Can the video umpire utilize hotspot?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes and I'm sure his eyes come with a 300X zoom and freeze frame ability too.
All of which distort the picture.

So Doctrove was closer to the action and wasn't obstructed by distortions. All adds up, to me, to the thought that Doctrove might just have had a better view than anyone looking at that pic.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember Gilchrist walking in similar circumstances against Bangladesh a few years ago. Hit the ground, missed the ball by an appreciable distance but obviously thought he hit it.