• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, Pietersen's innings actually wasn't that bad in the context of the game, particularly given England had just lost two quick ones when he came in. It's another case of him being overly criticised while others have got out of gaol for no apparent reason. Bopara scored 27 off 93 while Pietersen managed 44 off 101, yet all the talk has been of Pietersen slowing things down un-necessarily. Now I realise he has more ability to score quickly than Bopara, but the criticism has yet again been aimed at the wrong man, IMO.
I just think any criticism should be tempered. They started in the right way, but they probably should've upped the pace a bit earlier than they did.

However, it's nought but a little annoyance. Nothing very steep.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How on earth werent we in just as good a position at TB? Had an even bigger first innings lead and really chasing 129 should have been as easy as pie if they hadnt choked.
Yeah, probably, I think this is one of those cases where I am remember how tight the finish was and so ignoring the position we were in through the rest of the match. But basically I don't reckon at the equivalent point in the third innings we were nailed on for victory there, dunno

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jeez Priors going alright today isn't he? Just what we needed
Yeah, couldn't have wished for much more.

Just need Flintoff to come in and smash 35 off 35 or so early tomorrow and that's abso-bloody-lutely perfect.

Must be, what, 15 overs or so left this evening?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, probably, I think this is one of those cases where I am remember how tight the finish was and so ignoring the position we were in through the rest of the match. But basically I don't reckon at the equivalent point in the third innings we were nailed on for victory there, dunno
Yup, it's easier to feel good about a match while it's in progress rather than after it's finished.

ANOTHER four to Prior.

tooextracool

International Coach
Never met a sports person, pro or not, who wouldn't say anything to get out on the park.
Hope you never meet Shoaib Akthar then. I think there have been many times when batsmen dont go out there to bat as a matter of precaution, and Pietersen arguably did more towards squandering England's advantage than actually helping them by going out there and batting like he did.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think he's gone...

Not to worry...Freddie can carry on in the same vein here hopefully...Prior has done exactly what he needed to, well played

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Lol, that was the only thing that could get Prior out. Or an inswinger...

Flintoff to make not very many now.

pskov

International 12th Man
Yes... but they're both in the back of the lower-leg, no?

50 to Prior.
Similiarish area but they have very different functions, so an injury in one or the other is quite different. If Pietersen had a calf injury he wouldn't be able to play, but conversely would probably recover quicker. Tendon injuries are always very tricky, nagging things that take a long time to heal but don't necessarily hinder you that much, though somedays it feels worse than others. Unless of course you snap a tendon in which case you are buggered and need surgery.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't remember who it was, but someone recently ripped into me when I said I'd rather watch Prior bat than Pietersen.

This is why.

I think both are pleasant batsmen to watch - it basically comes down to whether you prefer watching off-side or leg-side play, IMO.

And he gets run out as I type this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have to hope Flintoff doesn't get out for nothing now, would be such a shame to see such a finish.