• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

tooextracool

International Coach
How is it strange when he's clearly injured? Pain-killing injections only get you so far.
If hes that injured that he can barely hit the ball then they should have just sent Collingwood out there. Its not exactly like England needed Pietersen in this situation. The fact that he went out there to bat suggests that he is either an idiot or hes not doing that bad.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jeez, I can't remember the last time we were in this good a position against ye crims. Burgey been quiet, wonder if he's in that helicopter on his way over. Post and just let us know you're alright mate, worried about ya

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How is it strange when he's clearly injured? Pain-killing injections only get you so far.
Ind33d, said that a few times, but nonetheless, it didn't look to me like his calf (which is the problem) was impeding him. Oddly enough, he was actually running OK, and though he wasn't timing things it wasn't because of a lack of front-foot movement.

He just looked out-of-touch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just checkied the scorebook to check on this 'slow' inings from KP. Then I saw that Bopara had a SR in the 20s.

What was he doing? Any reason for the slow pace?
It was a bit odd, it was like he was trying to play himself slowly into form whilst Johnson was doing the same opposite. Made for the dullest passage of the series so far.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We weren't really in this good a position at Trent Bridge really, and we've now surpassed the lead we had at OT

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If hes that injured that he can barely hit the ball then they should have just sent Collingwood out there. Its not exactly like England needed Pietersen in this situation. The fact that he went out there to bat suggests that he is either an idiot or hes not doing that bad.
Never met a sports person, pro or not, who wouldn't say anything to get out on the park.

Ind33d, said that a few times, but nonetheless, it didn't look to me like his calf (which is the problem) was impeding him. Oddly enough, he was actually running OK, and though he wasn't timing things it wasn't because of a lack of front-foot movement.

He just looked out-of-touch.
Achilles, I've heard. If it was his calf, he wouldn't even be able to walk surely?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just checkied the scorebook to check on this 'slow' inings from KP. Then I saw that Bopara had a SR in the 20s.
Yeah, Pietersen's innings actually wasn't that bad in the context of the game, particularly given England had just lost two quick ones when he came in. It's another case of him being overly criticised while others have got out of gaol for no apparent reason. Bopara scored 27 off 93 while Pietersen managed 44 off 101, yet all the talk has been of Pietersen slowing things down un-necessarily. Now I realise he has more ability to score quickly than Bopara, but the criticism has yet again been aimed at the wrong man, IMO.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
I think England should consider declaring with a few overs this evening. With showers predicted for tomorrw, England need all the overs they can get against Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I so hate it when people a) talk about the merits of and b) actually do this "send 'em in for 5 or 6 overs just before close of play" lark. Yes, it's very uncomfortable to be batting then, but openers virtually never get out under said circumstances.

All it does is creates a dull mini-passage which denies spectators an interesting full session. It's so boring having a little session where, essentially, nothing ever happens.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with Warne that England should send Aus out there with a few overs to go tonight, disagree that Aus will chase this down. Would have to break a world record at this rate and can't see the Aussies doing it.