• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perfect time for Pietersen to produce one of his characteristic barnstorming centuries... whether he will remains to be seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I love the 3rd man from Sky.

Both wickets were good bowling from Hauritz, set them up well, knew what he was doing with both. Give credit where credit is due, and now it's due.
Didn't set Strauss up at all, just turned one onto the outside-edge. Fair enough, good bowling. Cook however just missed a straight ball. And as Atherton has just shown, he still has quite the tendency to do that... yet in spite of all that he still has a good Test average.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yes, and batsmen should be capable of playing balls that don't turn. Reply to what I've said rather than what you'd like me to have said.
I'm pointing out why it wasn't a "nothing" ball. He managed to put his sliding ball on a good length that had him caught on the crease, and it hurried on because it didn't hit the seam. It's only a slightly different angle of the seam, but it makes a huge difference.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, if there's one thing that's becoming even more predictable than there being no third-man it's Siddle being edged down there for four and shouting AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Jakester1288

International Regular
We need to get Pietersen now. He will have a field day with some of the crap the Aussies are serving up.

And when do we plan on getting a third man in? This is getting comical.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm pointing out why it wasn't a "nothing" ball. He managed to put his sliding ball on a good length that had him caught on the crease, and it hurried on because it didn't hit the seam. It's only a slightly different angle of the seam, but it makes a huge difference.
I realise it makes a difference - stop telling me stuff I already know as if I was suggesting otherwise. It didn't turn at all, he'd hardly been ripping them square beforehand. It may have hurried on but it wasn't an exocet. Ergo, Cook should've played that ball without difficulty. In fact most batsmen would, but Cook from time to time misses straight balls.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Haha, if there's one thing that's becoming even more predictable than there being no third-man it's Siddle being edged down there for four and shouting AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
If I was as big and ugly as Peter Siddle then i'd use it to my advantage in indtimidating my captain to get a fecking third man in.

In other news, Pietersen to be out shortly as his nemesis is on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey Rich, I think I'm going to start up a RTMA (Runs to Third Man Average) and work out which cricketers gain an extra 3 runs each time they hit a shot for 4 that should have only gone for a single.

Edit - Pizzorno on the money..

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's basically pointless to try and explain to Richard how spinners can get wickets without turning every delivery square; I've been here before. He'll tell you that variations in flight and pace without much turn merely make batsmen look awkward without ever getting them out.. and if you bring it up when such things do indeed take a wicket, he'll just criticise the batsman who got out.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Hilfenhaus is such a clas act. Australia's best bowler by far. Pietersen really looks all at sea against him.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I thought that was out on first look. Off the bat. Good to see the awareness in the field to have a shot at the stumps when Pietersen was out of his crease.