• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Gah, Broad opening again. I hope Strauss gives Anderson the chance to get his 5'fer and further nail down that knighthood of his.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS Broad opening up
Yeah when I first spotted that I was like "... can't remember, hopefully he was in the middle of an over?" But nope.

Can't remember who it was that said "Strauss seems to think his job as captain is not to win but to bowl Broad as much as he can" but they were on the money. 8-)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The only way it could sound like that is for someone with a preconceived notion that follow-on enforcing > not.
England are in an unbelievably good position to win this game and even wrap it up early. They have really no reason not to. Unless they are THAT gutless that they'd rather hand Australia that bit of slack that would make a loss less likely and up the odds on a draw at the expense of trying to win.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can see the logic in opening with Broad, he's good at getting the tail and it keeps Flintoff fresh for the new ball. Hope Jimmeh gets a chance for his Michelle though

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Love how all these members are like "yeah man I like Jimmy have for ever what a good bowler always had potential".

18 months ago you had him bowling for Lanc's 15th XI, so stuff you.
I love every Lancs player and I always give them my full support when they represent England. Even Saj...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah when I first spotted that I was like "... can't remember, hopefully he was in the middle of an over?" But nope.

Can't remember who it was that said "Strauss seems to think his job as captain is not to win but to bowl Broad as much as he can" but they were on the money. 8-)
Was me tbh, and i thought exactly the same as you with regards to the incompleted over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England are in an unbelievably good position to win this game and even wrap it up early. They have really no reason not to. Unless they are THAT gutless that they'd rather hand Australia that bit of slack that would make a loss less likely and up the odds on a draw at the expense of trying to win.
This game is under no circumstances going to be drawn, barring some phenomenal batting from both sides. It's a question of whether Australia win or England win. England give themselves the best chance of winning and stopping Australia winning by batting again.

Wrapping the game up early is completely useless. Why on Earth would you want to win by an innings and 14 in 4 days when you can win by 350 runs in 5 days?