• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Love how all these members are like "yeah man I like Jimmy have for ever what a good bowler always had potential".

18 months ago you had him bowling for Lanc's 15th XI, so stuff you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LOL at all of the "this pitch is a road" comments during the first day when Australia was bowling poorly.

We are in deep merde.
It was and still is a road. Australia are in &%$£ because they batted extremely poorly, same way England's three-nine did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has that always been the case? Could have sworn when I was a kid we had early starts on the Beeb...
No idea, but 10.30 was the default start time on Channel 4
Test matches never started at any time before 11:00 in the BBC days. It had to creep back (first to 10:45 then 10:30) in the last few years of C4's coverage, because they needed it to finish in time for evening schedules. Sky don't, so they can go back to their normal time, 11:00. It was one of the few benefits that were hailed when the Sky-exclusive package was unveiled.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It also rained heavily several times, something which can alter a pitch massively.
It can, for sure, but it certainly hasn't here. This pitch has barely moved off the seam all match. Apart from England's openers (Strauss with considerable help from good fortune), almost everyone has batted very poorly.

Well, Anderson batted well too, but only by tailender standards.

Hussain just mentioning "pitch still looks an absolute belter" is I type. There has been some help from the overcast skies, but most of it's been poor shots rather than swing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Im hoping noone on theis thread has suggested England decine to enforce the follow-on if it is an option.
Yes, we know, you don't like not enforcing follow-ons. However, under many circumstances it offers no decrease to your chances of victory - and this is one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Almost all based on "England might bat poorly and might struggle to bowl Australia out if they bat again" and "England will bowl well and Australia will bat poorly if they enforce". As well as "the only way to convey a positive message is to enforce", which is complete nonsense - you can crush a team even more effectively by not enforcing.

If England bat and bowl well, they'll win, the follow-on is a complete irrelevance. However, not enforcing the follow-on offers a few advantages; enforcing offers none whatsoever.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd way, way, way prefer a 350-run win to an innings-and-18-run one. That's why I say it's a more positive option to not enforce, because you have the chance of a more crushing win.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'd way, way, way prefer a 350-run win to an innings-and-18-run one. That's why I say it's a more positive option to not enforce, because you have the chance of a more crushing win.
Why does this sound so gutless instead then?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Question, I heard that Russell Crowe was the Sky Sports Third Man and that he asked a few good questions, can anyone confirm.