• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing people are forgetting with regards to the rain/draw is the mucky weather will also probably bring the bowlers right into the game

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hilfy seems to have bowled well.
Tad wide, no swing but pretty accurate with some pace. I could be wrong, but I think that Australia are partially struggling because there are left handers at the crease. Johnson seems pretty much hard wired to bowling to a right hander whereas it would seem the slope can be best utilised by Hilfy and Siddle against right handers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing people are forgetting is the mucky weather will also probably bring the bowlers right into the game
Yeah, it might- it's the only chance of a result here really. Unfortunately, the weather forecast at the moment doesn't suggest that it'll help the bowlers rather than wash out play. Heavy rain all day tomorrow and back to decent weather on Saturday.

pup11

International Coach
BIt harsh on Siddle. He's getting there.
He is getting there alright, but has just been bit too wide for my liking so far, needs to get his line a tad straighter to be more effective, I also seriously hope Johnson comes and bowls better in the next session, otherwise we're in deep ****.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
650 in five sessions having been set 450? Jeeeesus.
Far from inconceivable. Seen good batsmen against moderate bowlers do it before now. Obviously it's no given, but nothing ever is.

Australia tend to react to big-ish runs by thinking "we'd better get even bigger runs" whereas England tend to think "God we need massive runs here" and then fall in a heap because they've put themselves under pressure.

Top_Cat

He is getting there alright, but has just been bit too wide for my liking so far, needs to get his line a tad straighter to be more effective, I also seriously hope Johnson comes and bowls better in the next session, otherwise we're in deep ****.
Would be hard bowling on the slope for the first time. I'd hate it, personally.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Siddle was the best of the Australians in terms of looking like taking a wicket. Wasn't a lot of joy in the session for anyone though, except the batsmen.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tad wide, no swing but pretty accurate with some pace. I could be wrong, but I think that Australia are partially struggling because there are left handers at the crease. Johnson seems pretty much hard wired to bowling to a right hander whereas it would seem the slope can be best utilised by Hilfy and Siddle against right handers.
Agreed, was just about to make this point myself. I mean in South Africa Johnson simply broke Smith's hand a couple of times so that he could have access to the easier-to-dismiss right handed batsmen. Opening against two lefties really seems to hurt his line and rhythm.

Top_Cat

Far from inconceivable. Seen good batsmen against moderate bowlers do it before now. Obviously it's no given, but nothing ever is.

Australia tend to react to big-ish runs by thinking "we'd better get even bigger runs" whereas England tend to think "God we need massive runs here" and then fall in a heap because they've put themselves under pressure.
Yeah but I think the point he's making is that it wouldn't leave much time for a result if a team responded to 450 with 650.

Uppercut

Eh 150 overs at 4 an over isn't that hard to believe is it?
It's not horrendously far-fetched, it's just unlikely. You'd be surprised if they hit out when 450 runs behind, Australia aren't as aggressive with the bat as they used to be. Major pessimism from Dicko I reckon.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's not horrendously far-fetched, it's just unlikely. You'd be surprised if they hit out when 450 runs behind, Australia aren't as aggressive with the bat as they used to be. Major pessimism from Dicko I reckon.
If they get going I think they'll be hitting near 4 runs an over anyway. To expect a result from this match if England bat out the day with most wickets in hand that isn't an England victory is ridiculous. With the look of the pitch any result is highly unlikely.

Uppercut

Agreed, was just about to make this point myself. I mean in South Africa Johnson simply broke Smith's hand a couple of times so that he could have access to the easier-to-dismiss right handed batsmen. Opening against two lefties really seems to hurt his line and rhythm.
Hmm, personally I don't think it's a factor. Plenty of lefties in his most-dismissed club, and that's not to mention injuring Graeme Smith twice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah but I think the point he's making is that it wouldn't leave much time for a result if a team responded to 450 with 650.
If there were still two full days remaining, it certainly could.

And with an outfield this quick, it's not impossible that 1,100 could be scored in three days.