• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looked very off-colour yesterday - down on pace and barely moved a ball. He'll be back at Lords no fear

Also, what is it with the faith the skipper has in Broad?

The guy is a talented young cricketer but, at best, he should be 4th choice in the attack. However, Strauss seems to treat him like he's a young Flintoff and obviously has more faith in him than some of the others

Got me baffled tbh
Onions will come in for Monty at Lord's but Harmison has become a better bowler overnight after the performances of Broad and Jimmy. Anderson is the fall guy for England and if he doesn't perform in this test, rightly or wrongly he will probably get the axe.

Broad had a good series home and away against the Windies and many thought he had finally come of age, hence the faith.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He (Hoggard) hasn't done anything since to suggest that he should comeback. Talk that he may even leave Yorkshire come the end of the season. Lost his nip.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Onions will come in for Monty at Lord's but Harmison has become a better bowler overnight after the performances of Broad and Jimmy. Anderson is the fall guy for England and if he doesn't perform in this test, rightly or wrongly he will probably get the axe.

Broad had a good series home and away against the Windies and many thought he had finally come of age, hence the faith.
Anderson will get the axe? :wacko: I don't think we're going to drop our best-performing bowler of recent times on the back of one bad match. Or at least, I hope we aren't!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
He (Hoggard) hasn't done anything since to suggest that he should comeback. Talk that he may even leave Yorkshire come the end of the season. Lost his nip.
Yep, last time I saw Hoggard (last season) he was slow and overweight. It was a shame.

Briony

International Debutant
Anderson will get the axe? :wacko: I don't think we're going to drop our best-performing bowler of recent times on the back of one bad match. Or at least, I hope we aren't!
Trouble is poor form has been a recurring theme for him against the Aussies and on a flat pitch he doesn't appear to have a lot to offer.

B.Scott4England

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
True. But I wonder if his nip went when he got unceremoniously dumped from test cricket for little or no reason

BoyBrumby

Englishman
AFAIC, the things are still pretty even
:-O

& Gordon Brown has a fighting chance at the next election.

Yep, last time I saw Hoggard (last season) he was slow and overweight. It was a shame.
Yeah, I love old Hoggy, but think his time is over. Even when he was in his pomp he could only move the ball back into the right-hander too, Jimmy moves it both ways and appreciably quicker too.

It's also a bit of a myth he was dropped after one bad test (know you aren't suggesting that, but someone did); in fact over his last 13 tests from the Pakistan tour in 2006 he took 36 wickets at 39.72 which, for a senior performer, isn't great.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, exactly. Hughes is having to do the bulk of his cricketing education on the job in Tests. Ricky Ponting had to and struggled for a good 5 years before he kicked-on. Some guys really are that good that you can't help but pick them and will just put up with their foibles whilst they learn their craft. Hughes is definitely one of them.

Just bottling him up on the legside might work for a while. But it's a matter of time before he figures it out. That's how players that good work. Remember a story where Greg Chappell said of Viv that in the early days it was perceived he coudln't play through the off-side. So they put the ball outside off and sure enough, he got out a few times. But by persisting with it to the exclusion of all else, they turned him into a great off-side player too. I don't reckon we'll see Hughes playing big pull shots in the manner of a Ponting, don't think it's his game. But it would be a foolish bowler who think bowling at his body will always work.
Spot on here. And if Hughes can turn a weakness into a strength, he'll benefit from his reputation for the rest of his career. I've lost count of how many times Graeme Smith has benefited from bowlers gifting him balls on the pads trying to expose a weakness he had two years ago.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:-O

& Gordon Brown has a fighting chance at the next election.

Yeah, I love old Hoggy, but think his time is over. Even when he was in his pomp he could only move the ball back into the right-hander too, Jimmy moves it both ways and appreciably quicker too.
Are you sure? I was almost 100% certain he moved the ball back into the lefties in South Africa in 2005. And just looking now, he got Graeme Smith lbw three times. Surely not by bowling nothing but outswingers?

I may well be mistaken here though, my memory of it is hazy at best.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Seems likely if there's little to no play on day four. Maybe if Australia batted poorly today, England could still win, but I wouldn't bet on it. I guess the same goes for Australia winning if they bat very well today and there's a last day collapse, but an day of no play should hold the pitch together pretty well.