• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man, that sucks for Anderson. Wasn't a bad ball at all and he's been creamed through cover off the back-foot for 4. I, personally, would hate to bowl to Hughes.

EDIT: Has to be said Katich is looking pretty serene right now. Solid.
:thumbsup:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Agree that we can't write him off, obviously. But yesterday you have to think that he got a bit overawed by the situation - facing THE Fred Flintoff, breathing fire, making the ball talk at 148kph, and getting in his face, in an Ashes test in the UK, and forgot to just play each ball on its merits in the fashion that had got him there. The plus side was that he before that displayed his great positives and he'll hopefully be better for the experience, once he watches the tape and has a chat to someone like Katich about it.
Don't wanna bag the lad, because he obviously has a rare talent and seems a nice guy too, but Jesus I hope he's out of the team soon. Can't ever remember a top order bat who is more annoying to watch; it's like watching Rainman bat, "Step away to leg, play the cut shot. Yeah, definitely play the cut shot. Ahh, ahh." He must be bloody good to play the way he does, frankly.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yep. Should have used a golf ball :).

On Hughes, I do wonder whether he's in a habit early on or when he's nervous that his trigger movements (which are so different to most everyone else's) get exaggerated, and that may be what's causing him problems atm.

Was a fine spell from Fred though. Think Fuller hit it on the head though when he noted the drop in pace in the second and third spells. Still getting miles in his legs imo.

Real problem in this innings has been the support cast though, and that's been the difference from the 05 series.

Still early days though.
was feeling sick during Freddies first spell - it did feel like 05. Agree however that the difference was that he didn't bowl a twelve over spell, wasn't as good in his next spell, and didn't have Jones at the other end.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
was feeling sick during Freddies first spell - it did feel like 05. Agree however that the difference was that he didn't bowl a twelve over spell, wasn't as good in his next spell, and didn't have Jones at the other end.
Yeah.

I think England's biggest mistake was playing Swann too much too early in the innings. Their quick bowlers needed to bowl more while the ball was harder.

There was a little luck for Australia in the Katich LBW and Freddie putting him down as well, but overall Katich and Ponting played very disciplined cricket and were just too good for the Poms.

A very good day of test cricket with the exception of the attrocious tail end bowling in the first session.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just what happens when a team decides not to throw wickets away. Hughes was undone by a fantastic spell of bowling, unsettled with short-pitched bowling and eventually nicked out.
Exactly. Let's not forget that Freddie was absolutely busting a gut to get Hughes and was right on the money with length, line, aggression, etc. If he seriously didn't rate him, no way would he have been putting in like he did. Would have been a very good player to survive that spell.

He is 20 FFS!

I have absolutely no idea whether he'll be the next Bradman or a major flop but he is undoubtedly the best talent (hand/eye, whatever) I've seen in years

I was amazed at how early he picked up Anderson today (first outswinger to a left-hander, he made look silly) and even the ball that got him out was supposed to go the other way and "deceived" him because it went straignt

What they can't teach him is how to face a decent spinner because when you're 20, there arent any in under age cricket
Yep, exactly. Hughes is having to do the bulk of his cricketing education on the job in Tests. Ricky Ponting had to and struggled for a good 5 years before he kicked-on. Some guys really are that good that you can't help but pick them and will just put up with their foibles whilst they learn their craft. Hughes is definitely one of them.

Just bottling him up on the legside might work for a while. But it's a matter of time before he figures it out. That's how players that good work. Remember a story where Greg Chappell said of Viv that in the early days it was perceived he coudln't play through the off-side. So they put the ball outside off and sure enough, he got out a few times. But by persisting with it to the exclusion of all else, they turned him into a great off-side player too. I don't reckon we'll see Hughes playing big pull shots in the manner of a Ponting, don't think it's his game. But it would be a foolish bowler who think bowling at his body will always work.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I haven't read much of this thread, and I went to bed last night at about 12 ish, but I'm hear everyone singing praises for Katich and Ponting. Well done guys. Ponting looked a bit off at the start of his innings, but well done to both of you. Top centuries and I hope they both come out tomorrow and go on with it.

Also, runrickyrun must be looking good at the moment.

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yep, it's the biggest myth that Johnson is ineffective unless he swings it back in.
And EVERYONE who sees him for the first time falls for it. Swing for Midge is simply icing on the cake - he can be a world class bowler without it.
Yeah, Might just finds a way to get wickets. I don't know how, but you can put your house on him getting a wicket. He's the magic man.

Katman, geez what an innings. Punter came in and kept the scoring up to which is something he loves doing. Top partnership, slowly taking the game away from England. Another session of that thanks.

pup11

International Coach
Awesome effort from Ponting and Katich, its been a brilliant partnership so far which has certainly brought Australia back into the game, I'm sure this might have already been mentioned, but Ponting' ability to ton up in the opening game of a test series is pretty unbelievable, yesterday he batted with a lot of resolve and that's probably one of the most determined knocks, I have seen him play in recent times.

AFAIC, the things are still pretty even, its important Australia don't lose focus here and now they should look to score as many runs as possible in their 1st innings, in order to assure that they don't chase too many runs batting last.

The thing that has really been annoying though has been constant discussions that the commentators keep on having about Hughes' technique (or the lack of it), he is an unorthodox player, who has developed his own technique, and irrespective of how he performs, I think his technique shouldn't be tampered with.

howardj

International Coach
Th constant discussion of reverse swing by the talking heads has also been somewhat grating.

Conventional swing has had its way with reverse this Test match.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't ****ing wait til Jimmy starts taking a hatful in this series, seems he's been written off already :dry:
Looked very off-colour yesterday - down on pace and barely moved a ball. He'll be back at Lords no fear

Also, what is it with the faith the skipper has in Broad?

The guy is a talented young cricketer but, at best, he should be 4th choice in the attack. However, Strauss seems to treat him like he's a young Flintoff and obviously has more faith in him than some of the others

Got me baffled tbh

pup11

International Coach
Looked very off-colour yesterday - down on pace and barely moved a ball. He'll be back at Lords no fear

Also, what is it with the faith the skipper has in Broad?

The guy is a talented young cricketer but, at best, he should be 4th choice in the attack. However, Strauss seems to treat him like he's a young Flintoff and obviously has more faith in him than some of the others

Got me baffled tbh
Anderson pretty much wasted the new ball yesterday, he thought the short ball is Hughes' weakness, so he tried his fair share of short deliveries with the new ball, but I think he got a bit too carried away, and bowled just way too many short balls, it really has never been a strength of his, therefore should have just sticked to bowling line and length and looking for swing.

Agree with your thoughts regarding Broad, I think he is still finding his feet in international cricket, and he isn't really ready to lead the attack yet, should have played either Onions or Harmison instead of Panesar, and the English attack could have been a lot more penetrative.

heathrf1974

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Swann: world's leading Test wicket taker in 2009. But knocking over suicidal West Indians may not be entirely representative.

Flintoff: hit 90-odd in a T20 game but otherwise no batting form. Bowling usually takes care of itself and is bowling quite fast apparently.

Monty: zero form. 6 first class wickets this season before he picked up 3 tailend wickets in the Lions game.
Thanks for the heads up. Ave one for me.
They probably should have picked Harmison instead of Monty. Where's Hoggard and has Simon Jones?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Would love to see Ponting get to 150 and then go berserk. This match needs something like it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hopefully Punter can push on an get a double-ton or maybe even a triple-ton today. :D
If only.

I really hope we get to about 500 or so then declare. We need to either plan to chase in the last innings or try to make more runs then they will score in their second innings so we don't need to bat again. We need to make our decision and go for it. We either bat as far as we can, or we declare so we have time to bowl them out then chase the runs.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
If only.

I really hope we get to about 500 or so then declare. We need to either plan to chase in the last innings or try to make more runs then they will score in their second innings so we don't need to bat again. We need to make our decision and go for it. We either bat as far as we can, or we declare so we have time to bowl them out then chase the runs.
Declare? Runs will be massively easier to get today than on day 5. Aussies need to aim to only bat once if they can. Bat till tea on day 4 before evening thinking about declaring. Hopefully Freddie breaks down in the meantime. (from a ruthless point of view, personally only wish the guy
well).