• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Steulen

International Regular
Steady on. Took two tailend wickets (one of which he was gifted) and was utterly hammered. Swann's been economical, even if he's been too full most of the time. Still looked by far the superior performer.

He's also had the disadvantage of bowling to proper batsmen who don't gift wickets.
Was more impressed by Hauritz than Swann tbh. Hauritz got sharp turn and bounce, bowled a few smart balls to Pietersen and Swann, but yes, got hammered in between.

Swann to me was a disappointment, didn't threaten at all except for one or two deliveries. And RR means nothing when you have to compare someone bowling at a happily slogging tail with someone bowling at Simon Katich for a whole day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was more impressed by Hauritz than Swann tbh. Hauritz got sharp turn and bounce, bowled a few smart balls to Pietersen and Swann, but yes, got hammered in between.

Swann to me was a disappointment, didn't threaten at all except for one or two deliveries. And RR means nothing when you have to compare someone bowling at a happily slogging tail with someone bowling at Simon Katich for a whole day.
Hauritz had no control over his turn or bounce tho. Looked surprised himself and certainly surprised Haddin who got nowehere near one that turned and bounced and it went for four byes. Suggests to me neither were expecting it.

Honestly think he's a hack.

Steulen

International Regular
Hauritz had no control over his turn or bounce tho. Looked surprised himself and certainly surprised Haddin who got nowehere near one that turned and bounced and it went for four byes. Suggests to me neither were expecting it.

Honestly think he's a hack.
True that he didn't have the control, but at least he got something out of the pitch. Don't really know why neither of the England spinners did.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harro was the only South African Hughes had real problems with and the only thing he didn't smash in county cricket was the spinners. Think that is where his real weakness is and his record in U19 WC's played on slow turning wickets suggests as much.
He is 20 FFS!

I have absolutely no idea whether he'll be the next Bradman or a major flop but he is undoubtedly the best talent (hand/eye, whatever) I've seen in years

I was amazed at how early he picked up Anderson today (first outswinger to a left-hander, he made look silly) and even the ball that got him out was supposed to go the other way and "deceived" him because it went straignt

What they can't teach him is how to face a decent spinner because when you're 20, there arent any in under age cricket

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Two great innings from Katich and Ponting. The ease with which Katich played both spinners was ridiculous, he probably could have batted for 5 more days and not got out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well played Ponting & katich.

Quick question. Why is it that when Aussie players underperform in one day/innings we get told off for bringing it up, don't be so reactive they did this and that lately, but if England players do it it suddenly means that they've actually been exposed as being ****???

As I've said, I expect that Johnson will bowl better than he did yesterday in the innings to come this summer, but also I'd expect Anderson & Swann to bowl much better, and Stuart Broad tbh. Let's settle down here, we were disappointing today, but there is a long way to go yet.

We need to keep it tight for about 10 overs tomorrow morning and then see if the new ball does the trick. If we get some early wickets and can be bowling again by the close of play, then weather-permitting we still very much have a chance of winning. Otherwise, um, let's hope it rains...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I love watching Katich bat. He never looks in real trouble and I think both him and Ponting could teach our batsmen a few lessons about not pissing their wickets away, like Pietersen. I think that's what will seperate Pietersen from the very best, not having that fundamental desire to just score as many runs as he possibly can....and then score some more.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gotta say, didn't quite know how to feel looking at the Sky graphic summarising the scores. On the one hand it's an impressive team effort when you top 400 and the highest individual score is in the 60s, but really, we had the chance to bat the Aussies out of the game.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Keep the faith Jamee.

Actually on second thoughts, we should all learn the lessons of the last 25 years, get real, and jettison the faith.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Still 3 days to go, and we're not out of this test by any stretch, we've just put ourselves in a difficult position.

Woodster

International Captain
Hughes wasn't intimidated or bounced out like some are suggesting. Flintoff did bowl well but I thought Hughes played him fairly comfortably. I always feel as if you're a tad unlucky if you get out to an inside edge. His dismissal today didn't demonstrate being 'bounced out' like he was when he faced Harmison. Although it was pretty funny when Flintoff started sledging him after his first ball and Hughes turned around and almost burst into laughter.
Yes it seemed very nervous laughter though tbf. Hughes was clearly unsettled against Flintoff, he ran in at him, bowler aggressively, and Hughes played more loose shots than normal. That's what Freddie makes you do, takes the batsman out of their comfort zone and brings the whole crowd to life. He was all over the youngster.

However, Fred needs much better support tomorrow, thought the plans for Ponting and Katich were a little strange at times. Setting an on-side heavy field to a man notoriously strong, as Ponting is, off his legs. We generally seemed to bowl too straight, imo. Ponting can walk across his stumps, overbalance, but not too often when he's set. As for bowling there to Katich, well he'll work you off his legs all day, and he did for the majority of today.

Clear heads needed for England tomorrow, on the positive side, Ponting and Katich have to start again, we need to rattle through one of them before the new ball arrives. Credit to these two today, they batted very sensibly and it was a decent demonstration of constructing big innings and a big partnership. What worries me is that neither look like they're going to settle for what they have!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just a ploy to make our victory seem more marvellous IMO. Freddie and Jimmeh will skittle them in the first hour tomorrow

Son Of Coco

Bumble and Botham are sitting in the studio now desperately trying to blame the ball for England's inability to take wickets.
:laugh:

Maybe England needs to take some tips from the Australian bowlers :ph34r:

Went to bed last night at tea thinking it's be great if we only lost one more by the end of the day. Very happy to turn on the news this morning and see Punter and Katich on 100*'s. I hope they both push on until the score's at least 350+ as it'll position us well for a big score. 9 overs until the new ball gives them time to get in again in the morning.

Hoping Anderson and Broad pick up some wickets when we're past 600 to justify me picking them in my fantasy team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can't ****ing wait til Jimmy starts taking a hatful in this series, seems he's been written off already :dry:

Son Of Coco

It's just what happens when a team decides not to throw wickets away. Hughes was undone by a fantastic spell of bowling, unsettled with short-pitched bowling and eventually nicked out. Australia have decided that if England are to take ten wickets, they're going to have to work that hard for all of them. Whereas England decided they were going after the bowlers and not letting them settle.

Both methods have their merits, and both have came off to some extent.
I'm hoping England revert to a more watchful approach on a hopefully trickier wicket in their second innings and suffer the consequences.

Son Of Coco

Steady on. Took two tailend wickets (one of which he was gifted) and was utterly hammered. Swann's been economical, even if he's been too full most of the time. Still looked by far the superior performer.

He's also had the disadvantage of bowling to proper batsmen who don't gift wickets.
Australians? :happy:

Woodster

International Captain
It'll be interesting to see how the England players react to today, which was a really trying day of Test cricket. We had the mometum before lunch, but Katich and Ponting have clearly wrestled that away from us. The bowlers must stand up and be counted from the very first ball, we cannot allow these two to get set again, or it could be an even longer day tomorrow.