• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

0RI0N

State 12th Man
He actually averages better in the 2nd & 3rd matches of a series though and has scored more 100's in them.
His 2nd and 3rd match of a series numbers are boosted by his great record at the MCG.
Punter and Hayden have an excellent partnership record at the G

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bumble and Botham are sitting in the studio now desperately trying to blame the ball for England's inability to take wickets.
Got make some **** up after the way they built up England and downplayed the Aussies.

Who is this Siddle? He is no Graham Onions. Ronald McDonald. Who does this Hughes think he is? He hasn't faced our quicks. Ronald McDonald. Johnson is a legend in his lunchtime, let's see how he fares against Ravi. Hauritz will be exposed by Swann and Monty. Ronald McDonald. Katich struggled in 2005 (four years ago, different attack). Haddin is no Gilly, Ronald McDonald...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It can turn square but the wicket is slow, so it means ****. Slow big turn doesn't cause anyone problems.

Best hope is what we saw from the quicks and the ball to start going through very low. Bowl stump to stump and get a plethora of LBW's/Bowled.
Word out. Clark if he was playing would have been perfect then.

Dont discount the potential reverse-swing, Hilfenhaus could really come into play in the 4th innings with the old ball based on how he bowled yesterday afternoon.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Hughes wasn't intimidated or bounced out like some are suggesting. Flintoff did bowl well but I thought Hughes played him fairly comfortably. I always feel as if you're a tad unlucky if you get out to an inside edge. His dismissal today didn't demonstrate being 'bounced out' like he was when he faced Harmison. Although it was pretty funny when Flintoff started sledging him after his first ball and Hughes turned around and almost burst into laughter.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The most shocking two things about England's bowling performance today:

1) Bowling wide of off stump to Hughes first up. Do they honestly not know where his strengths are?
2) Nathan Hauritz was the best spinner on show
Steady on. Took two tailend wickets (one of which he was gifted) and was utterly hammered. Swann's been economical, even if he's been too full most of the time. Still looked by far the superior performer.

He's also had the disadvantage of bowling to proper batsmen who don't gift wickets.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah Hughes was owned. But he did really well to hang around as long as he did so that Flintoff couldn't get to the middle order while he was bowling well. Took a lot of pressure off Katich too, with the amount of energy England expended on him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes wasn't intimidated or bounced out like some are suggesting. Flintoff did bowl well but I thought Hughes played him fairly comfortably. I always feel as if you're a tad unlucky if you get out to an inside edge. His dismissal today didn't demonstrate being 'bounced out' like he was when he faced Harmison. Although it was pretty funny when Flintoff started sledging him after his first ball and Hughes turned around and almost burst into laughter.
It was always an big overexaggeration. All who saw the series in SA would know Hughes had no worries againt short pitches bowling, even though Harmo may have troubled him in the warm-up.

His predicted problem going into this series, is a seamign deck vs Anderson & Sidebottom (if he plays). Since that technique of his does look seriously vulnerable to such bowling.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Steady on. Took two tailend wickets (one of which he was gifted) and was utterly hammered. Swann's been economical, even if he's been too full most of the time. Still looked by far the superior performer.

He's also had the disadvantage of bowling to proper batsmen who don't gift wickets.
TBH, one of the tailenders that Hauritz got out looked far more comfortable at the crease then the majority of England's top order did.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Mmmm. Swann's looked pretty ineffective to me. I guess how batsmen play a bowler can make a massive difference to how they look, but Swann's looked no more than decent.

Hauritz, meh. He got the job done.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBH, one of the tailenders that Hauritz got out looked far more comfortable at the crease then the majority of England's top order did.
Possibly, but it was still an ugly swat that gifted Hauritz the scalp.

Unless you mean Monty, in which case I beg to differ. :p

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It was always an big overexaggeration. All who saw the series in SA would know Hughes had no worries againt short pitches bowling, even though Harmo may have troubled him in the warm-up.

His predicted problem going into this series, is a seamign deck vs Anderson & Sidebottom (if he plays). Since that technique of his does look seriously vulnerable to such bowling.
Harro was the only South African Hughes had real problems with and the only thing he didn't smash in county cricket was the spinners. Think that is where his real weakness is and his record in U19 WC's played on slow turning wickets suggests as much.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mmmm. Swann's looked pretty ineffective to me. I guess how batsmen play a bowler can make a massive difference to how they look, but Swann's looked no more than decent.

Hauritz, meh. He got the job done.
Yeah the whole Spin thing turned out pretty much as I expected. As always a certain issue gets exagurated hence Hauritz was always going to do better than many anticipated and Englands spin duo was not going to have a massive impact. Swann is a good bowler and he is a popular player for a good reason but he is no genius. In most circumstances a very good player and an all time great are going to make him look somewhat ordinary.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Harro was the only South African Hughes had real problems with and the only thing he didn't smash in county cricket was the spinners. Think that is where his real weakness is and his record in U19 WC's played on slow turning wickets suggests as much.
Ah yes good observation TT. Indeed alot of times especially in Durban, Hughes did slog himself out of trouble when Harris was tying him down.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. Got Monty with a decent-ish nut, but it is Monty. Went for 38 runs in 4.5 overs today. Gash, IMHO.
Haurtiz failed in whatever crazy role he had, cause ENG tail took them 435.

Their is a big difference to being accurate & threatening to being accurate & non-threatening. Haurtiz was the latter yesterday especially in that spell to KP & Collingwood. They basically sat on him, it was irritating viewing.

All he does his run through a few overs ODI style & to give the pace trio a rest. The more i see him bowl my head hurts..

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. Got Monty with a decent-ish nut, but it is Monty. Went for 38 runs in 4.5 overs today. Gash, IMHO.
Nail on the head.

I'm not prone to over-rating my team's players or under-rating the opposition's but I'd have Swann in my bowling attack over Hauritz every day of the week, including today. Hauritz bowled at the tail, got one wicket courtesy of an ugly tailender's swipe, and also got the wicket of one of England's worst ever number 11s; and in the process got absolutely smacked around. 38 runs in 4.5 overs? I'd sooner have Ian Salisbury.

cover drive man

International Captain
The first day was tough to call, Australia definately won the second day though and tip of the day is Australia to win the match, betfair price: 3.45

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
My bets are looking pretty solid now, obviously hope I lose but looking likely to collect one way or the other at the moment

Ponting and Katich played brilliantly today, Katich had a couple of let offs but made England pay and Ponting looked serene

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Do you remember Peter Taylor? Watching him bowl made me lose the will to live.
Yea. Not old enough to have seen him bowl live, just on old videos. Coincidentally just like Haurtiz currently he wash horrific in tests, but managed to do well in ODI's.

The most irritating thing about his selection, is the shocking & funny ideological gridlock the AUS selectors have developed since MacGill was retired in WI 08. Its almost like they are scared to pick 4 fast-bowlers.