• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Ponting - 11000 runs at the highest average of the four who hve achieved that mark. Such a great player.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to know for sure, 'cos it's a strange pitch. Onions hurried most of the Oz batters up in the Loins game (which Broad hasn't today, despite clocking in quicker on the gun) and, because he bowls from so close to the wicket, I don't think he'd have allowed Hughes his favourite cut shot quite so much. If he found some swing (and pretty much everyone else has at some point) I reckon his lower trajectory might've asked a few questions.
I do think we're a consistently quality seamer light with this lineup. tbf I didn't see any of the Lions game, but presumably Onions will return at Lord's.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
11k, fair effort.
Aye, WD skipper.

Plays the flashy drives and pulls, but by Christ he's a doughty little bugger. Hope he's up for a scrap today. Love to see him go past AB this match (11,174). Here or Lord's would be good.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Not too much happening bowlingwise though. The occasional interesting ball (Broad just now with the first ball of his spell), but the batsmen are in control. Which does not make for the best viewing imo.
There's enough happening to be interesting though. The batsmen are certainly not dominating.

Burgey

Katich only missed that by the odd two feet. Well worth a shout, eh Monty?

FFS.
Was reluctant to raise this, as we had Warne for 15 odd years. But really, some of the moans, groans and shouts have been, not so much bad as bizarre in some cases.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Congratulations to Ponting on reaching the milestone. He’s had a fabulous career and I expect that he’ll break all runs record before he’s through.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulations to Ponting on reaching the milestone. He’s had a fabulous career and I expect that he’ll break all runs record before he’s through.
Not as certain that he'll overhaul Sachin as I was twelve months ago.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was reluctant to raise this, as we had Warne for 15 odd years. But really, some of the moans, groans and shouts have been, not so much bad as bizarre in some cases.
I find it irksome in the extreme and it's ultimately self-defeating in a "boy who cried wolf" kinda way. Umps must get pissed off with it.

Still convinced Panesar had a nailed-on LBW refused against Fat Gray in the second innings of their 3rd test up here because of the 57,000 bollox shouts beforehand.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Congrats Punter, well played Katman.

I'd say something like "these two are going along nicely" but I'm sure that would result in one or both of them getting out within seconds of me posting it...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Still a pretty even match, this session is key. Katich and Ponting looking good.

God England look a different team when Flintoff is bowling though. Shades of '05 with Flintoff and Broad around the wicket to the openers, but once he went off, there's no life in the attack. There's a bit of turn but this really isn't an amazingly difficult wicket to face spin on, at least not yet, and the other seamers aren't that threatening. If England don't get a wicket during Flintoff's spell after tea, they'll be in trouble for mine.

He's going to get bowled into the ground this series regardless.

Burgey

These two are going along nicely.
:laugh:
Howard on the radio with Aggers, who says "It's all sad your line of work, as you don't get the big farewell party".

Not so. I threw a ****ing huge party the night the **** was voted out.

Anyway, that session was great for us. Start again lads. Start again.

Woodster

International Captain
Batted well Ponting and Katich, a very dangerous partnership developing here, as they both have the concentration and capabilities to make this a large match defining partnership. We need Freddie for another half a dozen over burst to try and force the breakthrough. England have not bowled particularly well, apart from the big man. Swann has bowled decent areas, but not quite been the wicket-taking threat he will become from Saturday onwards.

Burgey

Interesting they went for Lady-Boy instead of Anderson after tea.

Still, Zoe Goss did get Lara that time.

Edit: Hawkeye obviously had a couple of sherberts at tea to give that out - side on showed it too high imo.

Still n all, you wouldn't want to choose to bowl at Billy Doctrove's end.

Reminds me of an old bloke who used to umpire us. Never gave lbws at all. I was batting one day and asked him why. "Mate, I just don't like that rule".

Last edited: