• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not a good shot from Hughes. That was a little too straight to play through point. Not a bad innings though, would have got some nerves out of the way for the rest of the series.

Andre

International Regular
Did Holding not watch the first session? The English bowlers were bowling full to Hughes and they were bowling inswingers and outswingers, but Hughes was still flaying them through the offside.
With all due respect, I'll take Holding's opinion over yours. He is spot on in what he says, they need some variety in order to get him out. Regardless of how good the bowling is/can be, it's not to difficult to play a short ball if you know you are getting one every ball. That is the point that Holding is getting to. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there is a pretty good reason he is the expert...

But to be honest, I'm suprised you even heard others words being mentioned that simply 'Hughes', cause doesn't look like you've seen much else.

And as I type, Flintoff gets Hughes - with a short of a length ball outside off stump. Not so silly after all.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sorry but Hughes has serious issues, his batting against the short ball is almost as bad as a rank tailender almost jumping about everytime he gets one. Hes good with even the slightest bit of width but jeez bowl it into his body and he has problems.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't look great getting out like that Hughes, not like he was beaten by movement (well, maybe a little), but that's the way he plays I suppose. Was hoping he'd get 100 so Freddy could join the South Africans in posturing away while he flays them to all parts of the ground.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Sorry but Hughes has serious issues, his batting against the short ball is almost as bad as a rank tailender almost jumping about everytime he gets one. Hes good with even the slightest bit of width but jeez bowl it into his body and he has problems.
'sup Darryl Cullinan.

Punter famous for knocking up tons in the first innings of the first test in a series, let's see what he's got.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
great decision from Aleem Dar - hotspot showing the faintest of inside edges

And England are up for this now

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
2 good balls from Broad there. A double breakthrough would be huge. To lose both your openers after just 60 runs when you need over 430 to get a lead is a major blow.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
With all due respect, I'll take Holding's opinion over yours. He is spot on in what he says, they need some variety in order to get him out. Regardless of how good the bowling is/can be, it's not to difficult to play a short ball if you know you are getting one every ball. That is the point that Holding is getting to. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there is a pretty good reason he is the expert...

But to be honest, I'm suprised you even heard others words being mentioned that simply 'Hughes', cause doesn't look like you've seen much else.

And as I type, Flintoff gets Hughes - with a short of a length ball outside off stump. Not so silly after all.
Everything Holding had said, is what England tried and I found it amusing that Holding suggested Hughes would be troubled by swing when he was at ease whenever England pitched it up and it was swinging.

tooextracool

International Coach
Everything Holding had said, is what England tried and I found it amusing that Holding suggested Hughes would be troubled by swing when he was at ease whenever England pitched it up and it was swinging.
Holding is right to an extent. You cant just go out there and bowl short the entire time like Freddie did. You need to mix it up with the full ball, but the short delivery should be the stock delivery against him.