• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Interesting bringing Swann in to bowl the 6th over of the innings. Wonder how he'll go.
It could unsettle Katich well. He's barely faced a ball and he wouldn't be used to playing a spinner so early in his innings. Still, I would have brang Freddie on.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Richard's theory that great bowling can only be 'repelled' is being proven to be made silly. Anderson swinging it both ways @ 90mph and Hughes peppering him with ease.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Richard's theory that great bowling can only be 'repelled' is being proven to be made silly. Anderson swinging it both ways @ 90mph and Hughes peppering him with ease.
Oh come off it, it's hardly been an exceptional spell of new ball bowling. He's bowled better than this already this summer. I know you're trying to hype Hughes as much as possible, but to call this start from Jimmy a great spell of bowling is going abit far.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man, that sucks for Anderson. Wasn't a bad ball at all and he's been creamed through cover off the back-foot for 4. I, personally, would hate to bowl to Hughes.

EDIT: Has to be said Katich is looking pretty serene right now. Solid.

Burgey

Geez that was a good ball from Swann. He got a bit of turn and that is the length to bowl.
Yeah, a good start for him.

Jeez I love a well-played back foot drive. A tough shot to perfect.

Of course, it's only because of bad bowling, and can never ever be good batting.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
It could unsettle Katich well. He's barely faced a ball and he wouldn't be used to playing a spinner so early in his innings. Still, I would have brang Freddie on.
I'd have to disagree. Katich has spent most of his career in the middle order so facing spin early isn't going to worry him.

The early spin option would be at Hughes, in reference to him falling to Harris a few times vs. South Africa. However, I do know Hughes can play spin bowling, he had some fun facing me when I played him...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Man, that sucks for Anderson. Wasn't a bad ball at all and he's been creamed through cover off the back-foot for 4. I, personally, would hate to bowl to Hughes.

EDIT: Has to be said Katich is looking pretty serene right now. Solid.
Of course, but down the line Jimmy will be remembered for all the rank 4-balls he bowled in this innings

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Oh come off it, it's hardly been an exceptional spell of new ball bowling. He's bowled better than this already this summer. I know you're trying to hype Hughes as much as possible, but to call this start from Jimmy a great spell of bowling is going abit far.
If he was bowling to a lesser batsman then Anderson would've picked up a wicket by now. Seriously, didn't you see Anderson bowl several inswingers before throwing out a massive outswinger that Hughes drove to the boundry for 4?

King Pietersen

International Captain
I, personally, would hate to bowl to Hughes.
Definitely. If your length or line is slightly wrong he'll cream you through cover. Doesn't appear to have much of an on-side game, but if you play as well as that on the off-side, with that technique it doesn't really matter. Can definitely see him having a top series.

Top_Cat

Of course, but down the line Jimmy will be remembered for all the rank 4-balls he bowled in this innings
Don't think he's been that bad, TBH. Any other batsman and he'd have more dots. That last over, save for the 4 from Hughes, was just about perfect to Katich.

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd have to disagree. Katich has spent most of his career in the middle order so facing spin early isn't going to worry him.

The early spin option would be at Hughes, in reference to him falling to Harris a few times vs. South Africa. However, I do know Hughes can play spin bowling, he had some fun facing me when I played him...
True. Didn't think about that. He did get a bit of an edge from Katich though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he was bowling to a lesser batsman then Anderson would've picked up a wicket by now. Seriously, didn't you see Anderson bowl several inswingers before throwing out a massive outswinger that Hughes drove to the boundry for 4?
Not every batsman is automatically deceived by the outswing-outswing-inswing trifecta that Jacques Rudolph so readily falls for.

Top_Cat

Definitely. If your length or line is slightly wrong he'll cream you through cover. Doesn't appear to have much of an on-side game, but if you play as well as that on the off-side, with that technique it doesn't really matter. Can definitely see him having a top series.
Thing is, he does (although his pet shots are obviously through the off-side). He just hasn't had much cause to show it yet. Every pace bowler's nightmare, this bloke. Hate him but love what he's doing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't think he's been that bad, TBH. Any other batsman and he'd have more dots. That last over, save for the 4 from Hughes, was just about perfect to Katich.
Haha, no, look I'm in work and not watching, just more a play on the 'stats over performance' culture here at good arld CW