• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Always seemed destined for the very top from when he made his SWA debut aged about 17 in 96. Liked a beer early in his career, was always in one of the boozers on our ground about 20 minutes after the final whistle, think this held him back early on, and then Koumas emerged. We were truly blessed to have both of them, but it didn't bring the best out in Mahon, but Koumas has injury/drink troubles himself in 99-2000, Mahon had a great season, was pivotal in our success that season, and at the end of the League Cup Final was shown rubbing his fingers together in a money, money, money way - he was right of course as he got his move to Lisbon, but it was a huge mistake. Should have either stayed with us another year or two, or perhaps looked for an English club.

Since then, I don't think he's ever really achieved what he could have done. He's impressed most places he's ever been, but never really settled anywhere. Hence, he winds up back home.

Thing is, a lot of fans my age are still pissed off about the way he left us and the fact that he wound up back in England less than a year later. This screwed us out of a transfer fee for him effectively, because of the way the Bosman system works.

Personally, well it was 9 years ago and he has a chance to make amends. Haven't seen him play much in recent years, but he was a class act a divison higher earlier in his career, can see him doing special things. Am much more optimistic with him in the squad.

Now all we need is a keeper. Bloody Middlesbrough signed ours, and I blame Chelsea.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This, plus the fact that bar one season he has been pretty rubbish for the duration of his time with Arsenal.
Dont have any stats ATM, but i really dont think he has been rubbish. Fact is Arsenal's problem for the longest while is the mid-field. If you see him what quality striker can they get.

Talking about ego's. AUS with Bevan in the ODI team for years wasn't much of a team player, but his value was unmatched.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Rosicky is perpetually injured and what has Nasri done so far?.
Yea but Rosicky was very impressive while he was fit. Nasri as well, when Arsenal won 2-1 vs United he was brillaint.

I can see Sneijder working out but van der Vaart for me is one of the most overrated footballers going. His knees went before his 21st birthday.
Hmm, well persoanlly i dont hear too many people signing too much praises to VDV. I'd say he is rated pretty fairly.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Thats true, there are indeed some similarities, but Nasri and Rosicky are much more dynamic, driving force type players, whereas the two dutch lads are much more typical playmaker, edge of the area type players.
Wesley is the most dynamic of them all i'd say. He can even play as deep mid-fielder, the rest cant. But overal they all are the same. Pace wise Nasri is probably the fastest.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I actually reckon Tommy is the best out of those three and when fit is comfortably a world class player. Problem is that he's made out of balsa wood so him being fully match fit is a once every few years type of prospect for us. Shame we didn't realise why Dortmund were willing to let him go for peanuts.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yea but Rosicky was very impressive while he was fit. Nasri as well, when Arsenal won 2-1 vs United he was brillaint.

Hmm, well persoanlly i dont hear too many people signing too much praises to VDV. I'd say he is rated pretty fairly.
I saw that game, he played well. Shame about the rest of the season and he had a shocker in the Champions League S/F. Seems to be enjoying the London lifestyle too much as well, his got fat.

van der Vaart was one of the best young players in the world in 2001, then he suffered a knee injury and he has never recovered. Anyone who saw him when he first broke through to the Ajax team, he was the real deal and a completely different player to what we see now.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wesley is the most dynamic of them all i'd say. He can even play as deep mid-fielder, the rest cant. But overal they all are the same. Pace wise Nasri is probably the fastest.
In pomp, Rosicky. Deceptively quick with the ball like Kaka.

Agent TBY

International Captain
van der Vaart was one of the best young players in the world in 2001, then he suffered a knee injury and he has never recovered. Anyone who saw him when he first broke through to the Ajax team, he was the real deal and a completely different player to what we see now.
Spot on. Pretty much explains Ajax's willingness to let him go at the time, and his decision to go to HSV.

The Real transfer was a real "wtf" moment for me.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Spot on. Pretty much explains Ajax's willingness to let him go at the time, and his decision to go to HSV.

The Real transfer was a real "wtf" moment for me.
Probably had been playing too much Football Manager (then again they did sign that West Ham bloke on loan). Anyway I saw an interview with RVP on Eurosport News this morning, and he was saying stuff how much he likes London, that the club has a lot of potential, he likes the fans and that he is happy to have extended his contract with Arsenal. Good to see that Robin has good PR skills :happy:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I saw that game, he played well. Shame about the rest of the season and he had a shocker in the Champions League S/F. Seems to be enjoying the London lifestyle too much as well, his got fat.
Thought he was ok in CLSF. If i remember Arsenal played 4-5-1 in the second leg, both him & Cesc where playing closer to Adebayor.

But given that Cesc wasn't doing too much defensive work & Song was rendered useless by United's mid-field. Nasri's role wasn't helped.

Well i admit VDV really first start coming to my attention in WC 2006. This reasoning here indeed does explain why he was in flat germany for such a long time.

But going back to United potential signing's. Don't know what these scouts are thinking. I can live with Owen. But damn Valencia & Obetran, when they could have gone for Zhirkov & potentially Gourcuff before he commited to Bourdeux.