• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well it's too much to expect the batsmen to do anything other than par even when they all get in - usually it's a lot worse.

Dissector

International Debutant
Those two wickets have obviously swung the game Australia's way but I still think England are OK. There is clearly a fair bit in the pitch and with five bowlers England has a decent shot of knocking Australia out for under 300.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Commentators on Sky saying they don't know who has won the day or who would be happier. Don't care what England think really, but I'm pretty happy with the day frankly. They're all saying it's turning, but it's very slow turn and the wicket is a featherbed. Ponting will be wrapped to have 7 back for < 350 on this wicket.
He'll be hoping to wrap it up asap and get a sizeable lead tomorrow and Friday before it deterioriates too much.

tooextracool

International Coach
Those two wickets have obviously swung the game Australia's way but I still think England are OK. There is clearly a fair bit in the pitch and with five bowlers England has a decent shot of knocking Australia out for under 300.
Actually its 4 bowlers and monty panesar.

Burgey

There's been bugger all in the wicket tbh. Some swing, but the wicket for the most part has been low & slow for day 1.

England have pissed away 6.5 starts.

Last edited:

social

Mate, there has been stuff all in this wicket from about lunch - it's a dead slow track with minimum spin and seam

The question is how much it deteriorates because runs on the board will then be crucial

Anyway, tomorrow should be the best day for batting as it should quicken slightly as it dries

kingkallis

International Coach
Commentators on Sky saying they don't know who has won the day or who would be happier. Don't care what England think really, but I'm pretty happy with the day frankly. They're all saying it's turning, but it's very slow turn and the wicket is a featherbed. Ponting will be wrapped to have 7 back for < 350 on this wicket.
He'll be hoping to wrap it up asap and get a sizeable lead tomorrow and Friday before it deterioriates too much.
I agree! 4 of them scored 50s, 2 scored 30+ and that means wicket is easy and the day probably belongs to the Aussies

social

There's been bugger all in the wicket tbh. Some swing, but the wicket for the most part has been low & slow for day 1.

Apart from Kp (who was out-thought), they've been bowled out

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
336-7... I'm pretty happy with that given 90-3. But at the same time, frustrated that one of Prior and Flintoff isn't still in, and also that Jimmy is there instead of Swann.

Scaly piscine

Yep. Trademark England. Next thing is people will be praising them for getting 50s and glossing over the dumb dismissals and not getting as many as they should have got. They should have put 500 on the board.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
good day of cricket.if england can get to 400 they will be thrilled .I think anderson,swann and panesar will be key tommrrow with the ball.

Burgey

Well, that's me done for the night. See you all in about 3.5 hours from work. ****ing great.

R_D

International Debutant
Yep. Trademark England. Next thing is people will be praising them for getting 50s and glossing over the dumb dismissals and not getting as many as they should have got. They should have put 500 on the board.
Yeah because 500 is so easy to score all the times.
England were never gona score 500 tbh.. even when KP and Collingwood were going good.... you just knew one wicket and could be all over. Fair play to Freddie and Prior. Didn't think they'd even get 350. Some crappy bowling by Australian bowlers helping the cause.

social

ONE dumb dismissal (and he was plumb lbw before that)

I think you have to give some credit to the Oz bowlers for sticking at it and producing wicket taking deliveries to batsmen that were set on a flat deck

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
ONE dumb dismissal (and he was plumb lbw before that)

I think you have to give some credit to the Oz bowlers for sticking at it and producing wicket taking deliveries to batsmen that were set on a flat deck
I think Collingwood, Cook and Flintoff's dismissals were poor shots to balls that were nothing special.

Prior, Strauss and Bopara got good balls(Prior's was a very good ball) that they all played with different degrees of poorness.

Last edited:

social

I think Collingwood, Cook and Flintoff's dismissals were poor shots to balls that were nothing special.
Collingwood edged a good outswinger

Cook edged one that went the other way

Fred has got a crap technique and played a good length ball onto his stumps

All credit to the bowler