• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably obvious but it looks like he's over-commiting to his forward-and-across movement as the ball's released, and his head isn't straight because of that.
Still clearly the bastman most feared by us, obviously.
Tbh, I dont see a lot different in kp other than that to give credit where it's due, Ponting and the coach have come up with a very good strategy and the bowlers have done well to put it into practice so far

Ponting's captaincy has been very good so far and, if anything, he's now unerrated as a leader

Anyway, good start to Oz but lots of work to do as I can see a guy like Colly being preety hard to shift on this slow deck

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
TBF, MSP has proven better at wasting favourable conditions than utilising them of late. And in 2006/07 he was hopelessly overrated and people thought he could utilise any conditions. First people have gotten a more realistic impression of him, then he's regressed.
I don't disagree with any of that, but I still don't think the decision can be described as "terrible". As I said, I would not have picked Panesar either, but compared to what Australia's selectors have done, it's actually a pretty minor issue IMO. No-one really had an irresistible case for selection so, while opting for someone primarily because of what they've done two years ago is never really a great idea, I don't think it's as disgraceful a call as some people are making out.

He's certainly a much better bowler than Nathan Hauritz no matter which way you look at it and, unlike both Hauritz and Ben Hilfenhaus, he's shown in the past that he can make a really influential contribution to a match when he gets a favourable surface. Adding to that, his competition in Onions and Sidebottom pales in comparison to who Australia left out to play Hauritz and Hilfenhaus - Stuart Clark.

I agree that it's an error, but I don't think it's an error on anywhere near the scale of Australia's.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't disagree with any of that, but I still don't think the decision can be described as "terrible". As I said, I would not have picked Panesar either, but compared to what Australia's selectors have done, it's actually a pretty minor issue IMO. No-one really had an irresistible case for selection IMO so, while opting for someone primarily because of what they've done two years ago is never really a great idea, I don't think it's as disgraceful a call as some people are making out.
Panesar's is a terrible selection. It makes no sense on any level. He's going to play as a second finger spinner - playing one spinner is obviously seen as a big thing for variety purposes. If you pick a second finger spinner then to justify it they have to be top quality bowlers, well Monty isn't. A second finger spinner is not going to be in the game so much as a bowler, so you want them to contribute with bat and in the field, Monty doesn't. If you're going for a second spinner you want someone who can really utilise spinning conditions and genuinely bowl people out to help force the win. Monty doesn't do that either. Panesar also has a truly awful recent record. You are also dropping a man in possession who has 40 wickets at 13 in division 1 this season and who pitches it up and swings it which is what you want for this pitch.

tooextracool

International Coach
This is a 400+ wicket for a team batting first tbh, England havent batted terribly (with the exception of Cook) but they havent batted very well either and Australia have done fairly well without being brilliant with the ball. England are obviously far from out of it and one 100+ run partnership would put them on top but at the moment Australia have definetly been the better team.

This is the sort of slowish pitch that Collingwood usually thrives on so lets hope that these 2 can string together a big partnership. Its just worrying that we have to rely on Pietersen yet again on the very first day of an Ashes series to get us to a big score.

pup11

International Coach
Horrie now coming into the attack, I have a feeling that KP and Collingwood might go after him here.

tooextracool

International Coach
Panesar's is a terrible selection. It makes no sense on any level. He's going to play as a second finger spinner - playing one spinner is obviously seen as a big thing for variety purposes. If you pick a second finger spinner then to justify it they have to be top quality bowlers, well Monty isn't. A second finger spinner is not going to be in the game so much as a bowler, so you want them to contribute with bat and in the field, Monty doesn't. If you're going for a second spinner you want someone who can really utilise spinning conditions and genuinely bowl people out to help force the win. Monty doesn't do that either. Panesar also has a truly awful recent record. You are also dropping a man in possession who has 40 wickets at 13 in division 1 this season and who pitches it up and swings it which is what you want for this pitch.
The troubling part with this selection is that Panesar doesnt have form or the record to back up his selection. Its a poor selection no matter what way you look at it, the only selection which was on the cards that could have been an absolute howler and the England management has of course tapped that.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It worries me, KP batting against Hauritz. He's not always that good against bowlers he doesn't respect. I hope he plays with some measure today.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh, limit?
I mean, how much is too much, given the back-to-back tests, that people would want Johnson (for example) to get through today? I'm just interested in whether Ponting goes for the jugular or tries to rotate the bowling a little here.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, how much is too much, given the back-to-back tests, that people would want Johnson (for example) to get through today? I'm just interested in whether Ponting goes for the jugular or tries to rotate the bowling a little here.
Reckon he'll rotate but only because all of the bowlers seem to be doing alright. Johnson, after a poor start, has been penetrative, Siddle solid, Horse the pick and Horrie's first over was decent. No-one's dominating, I reckon.

Hauritz with some encouraging spin. If he keep flighting it like that last one......

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Hauritz looking solid early on. Really needs to toss the ball up outside the off stump, will not take wickets with the flat ball that turns from off to middle.

Game on a real knife edge at the moment. Big partnership a possibility here, but one more wicket for the Australian's and we are all over the English. The big key is Johnson's next spell, so often he takes wickets at this stage of the innings.