• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

King Pietersen

International Captain
Experience of Australian bowlers:

Mitchell Johnson (21 tests)
Nathan Hauritz (4 Tests)
Ben Hilfenhaus (3 Tests)
Peter Siddle (7 Tests)

Combined matches 35.

Experience of England bowlers:

Stuart Broad (17 Tests)
Graeme Swann (7 Tests)
James Anderson (37 Tests)
Monty Panesar (38 Tests)

Combined matches 99. Could be decisive in this match.
Flintoff?

How do the FC matches stack up?

I love Ravi Bopara's little lip twitch as the bowler's running in. Like a less annoying Shah-twitch.

Andre

International Regular

Nathan Hauritz (4 Tests)
Ben Hilfenhaus (3 Tests)
Peter Siddle (7 Tests)

Combined matches 35.

Stuart Broad (17 Tests)
Graeme Swann (7 Tests)
Monty Panesar (38 Tests)

Sort of relevant but not really. Panesar hasn't shown any signs of experiance or development as a bowler in his 38 Tests so that doesn't count much for mine. And Broad's 17 Tests doesn't mean he won't bottle it under the pressure of an Ashes series, he's still very much a work in progress, I'd say in cricketing terms he is the least experienced of all bowlers on show.

Not saying he will, but I think the caps/suggestion of experience of the bowling attack isn't all that relevant, bar Flintoff.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As much as I'm a fan of Hilf's selection and his bowling so far, a decent first spell is nothing new from him. Let's see how he backs up from it.
Tbf to Hilf, that's as consistent as I've seen him bowl in quite a while and if he keeps that up, he should have good success this series

My criticism of his selection comes more from the fact that he's deemed to be one of the 3 best seamers in the squad, I simply dont agree with that assessment

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Siddle swinging it both ways now, now there's interesting. Wonder if he can keep that up.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Nathan Hauritz (4 Tests)
Ben Hilfenhaus (3 Tests)
Peter Siddle (7 Tests)

Combined matches 35.

Stuart Broad (17 Tests)
Graeme Swann (7 Tests)
Monty Panesar (38 Tests)

Plus Fred of course.

However, analysing the strength of the sides' batting lineups doesn't paint such a rosy picture for England.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf to Hilf, that's as consistent as I've seen him bowl in quite a while and if he keeps that up, he should have good success this series

My criticism of his selection comes more from the fact that he's deemed to be one of the 3 best seamers in the squad, I simply dont agree with that assessment
Clark injured, I reckon.

Andre

International Regular

He's one of the three best seamers in the squad for the given condidtions, which is important to bare in mind. In these sorts of conditions, IMO you'd pick 1 of Siddle or Clark, and Siddle is a fair distance ahead. Fully expect Clark to play a crucial role on decks later in the series which have a bit of pace and bounce, but in these conditions Hilfenhaus' swing is crucial, and Hauritz had to play.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looked as though a couple from Johnson there actually moved across Ravi/ into Strauss.

Siddle all over Bopara like a cheap suit here.