• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

World Traveller
Going to Lions V Geelong next week. My best mate's aunt and uncle are Lions members and have pretty good seats so hopefully that will mean we will be sitting somewhere good (myself and my mate are not members). Always like going to the Gabba, such a good place to watch sport.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Barry Hall just punched Rutten in the chin when he was on the floor. Reported, and may be in trouble I reckon.

Such a dick head.

Redbacks

International Captain
The Pies appear to be looming this season as a contender to the Cats, should the Saints get the wobbles in the finals.

Surprised by the Crows, a decent side but not much more currently, in two years though...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Btw, Tippett, Porplyzia and Taylor Walker is such an exciting forward line.

Imagine when the Birdman returns :-O

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
God Tippett is going to be good in a couple of seasons. Vince's best ever game today too, and the same probably goes for Dangerfield. Richmond and Freo up next, then a tough finish. Can't see Adelaide getting top four over the Pies with the draw the way it is, but should get a home final.

Sydney were pretty good in the first half, won't make the eight from here though.

Redbacks

International Captain
They'd lose Edwards and McLeod...
Danger-zone!!!

McLeod is kinda replaceable given he is a HBF now, they will lose his class but stat getters can be put into his position. Edwards will be missed so someone like Van Berlo, Vince or Sloane (pick 44 from Eastern Rangers averaged 4.8 tackles, 1 goal, 5 clearances and 10.3 hard ball gets per match in juniors, 21.5 disposals per game in TAC cup @ 73% could be a star of the future)

Redbacks

International Captain
How much chance is there of Tippett 'going home' and play for Gold Coast FC?
I'd say big! Family will be a factor, he has a GF from the GC and he will probably get up to $100,000 a year more than at the crows + media etc. as an attraction to become the clubs marquee signing as a local lad.

He just has to make the risk of being at a team that will probably take 3-5 years to become competitive, which could see him never challenge for a flag in his career

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
How much chance is there of Tippett 'going home' and play for Gold Coast FC?
Yeah I'd say high for sure. The best chance for Adelaide to hold him would be to play the Premiership card, since Adelaide are a good side right now and on the way up, which the Gold Coast probably won't be.

Craig

World Traveller
I'd say big! Family will be a factor, he has a GF from the GC and he will probably get up to $100,000 a year more than at the crows + media etc. as an attraction to become the clubs marquee signing as a local lad.

He just has to make the risk of being at a team that will probably take 3-5 years to become competitive, which could see him never challenge for a flag in his career
Yeah I'd say high for sure. The best chance for Adelaide to hold him would be to play the Premiership card, since Adelaide are a good side right now and on the way up, which the Gold Coast probably won't be.
So in that case we could see the gold Coast side pay 'overs' to try and attract players to move north, outside of the draft picks they will get?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
So in that case we could see the gold Coast side pay 'overs' to try and attract players to move north, outside of the draft picks they will get?
Obviously, every club is trying to sign up the targets beyond 2010 so they aren't available to take as uncontracted because there's no guarantee the compensatory pick will be worth the players. OTOH all the agents are stalling on contracts so they can eke more money with the threat of running of to the Gold Coast.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Beams is likely the kid they'll take from the Pies. He refused a three year deal in favour of a two to be available at the end of 2010, being from the GC originally. Hopefully we're right in the mix for a flag around then and this tempts him to stay, because he looks a quality kid so far.

Freo were pretty dire today, but good to see we buried them properly. Awesome seeing Medders running around again, such a gun. Dids is in the best vein of form of his career at the
moment.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Warren and Urquhart are probably the most in danger from the Roos. Don't think they will be going after anyone older than about 22 unless they are a superstar.

WCE doing pretty well, Lecras is gun.

Redbacks

International Captain
what a joke from the AFL if the crows got pick 20 something for a key forward they spent years developing and given they don't grow on trees.

GC17 can pay over the rate initially to attract players because they will have a lot of draft picks who are in the 18-20 age group on lower salaries. They might get a dud or two but within the first 3-5 years things will work themselves out. The last thing the AFL wants is a new club finishing bottom for the early years whilst trying to get support.

Status
Not open for further replies.