• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Craig

World Traveller
Citeh in pole position for Tevez

If Tevez joins and RSC stays fit (a big if there though), they will have quite a strike force. Anybody is welcome to Maicon BTW. We have young Davide Santon in the ranks to replace him if Maicon is going to act like big cry baby.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
You can't force players to stay if they don't want to be there (and I have no idea what triggered Maicon's latest sook, all of a sudden he came out and said 'Inter don't love me' and 'only care about Ibrahimovic', what the catalyst for it was, I have no idea).

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not worth the hassle of quoting 10 posts but...

I agree mostly with everything that has been said. For too long Arsene has bought players to replace those who are leaving and not looked to build/strengthen/develop a larger squad.
From what I've been reading on the internet and some of the quotes that he's put out; Wenger is quite keen on moving to a 4-3-3 formation next year. With a strong holding player in Melo behind Fabregas and Nasri and then an attacking trio of Arshavin - RVP - Walcott.
Although it isn't Barcelona the potential is there.
The only problem I have with that is it doesn't feature Adebayor, or to clarify Adebayor's replacement.
If we do manage sell Adebayor for ~£20m that money must be spent on a player who can strengthen the first XI. Whether it be at the back or a second striker for when we have to revert to 4-4-2. Bendtner isn't quite there; even if he did have a similar goals : starts ratio to RVP and Ade.
The signing of Melo would just be perfect as it allows players like Denilson, Song, Diaby to play the roles they're current ability suits. Substitutes.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty well known that Ibra has been garbage in the CL for Inter. Not neccessarilly saying they should sell him regardless but I feel his style of play doesn't stand up against the EPL sides.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Selling their only creative force and focal point in attack isn't going to help though. They need to give him help, so he doesn't have to do everything himself.

Craig

World Traveller
Selling their only creative force and focal point in attack isn't going to help though. They need to give him help, so he doesn't have to do everything himself.
Your certainly correct there. But he doesn't need to go about blwoing his load about how great Barcelona are in public. But if he is going to go then it will probably be around how much Ronaldo went to Real Madrid for (or so Inter hope).

As for Felipe Melo there was talk that Fiorentina were going to put in a £23m release clause, when Inter were looking at making a move for him, and La Viola were looking at putting in such a clause that if they were going to sell him, at least they would get a decent price for him. Now Melo seems content to stay at the Stadio Artemio Franchi for now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm not a massive fan or anything, but will should have Senderos back next season too as Milan decided not to exercise their right to make the loan permanent. He does have a physical prescence that Toure & Gallas lack but sadly will **** up at least once a game because someone's flicked the "off" switch. If he could get his concentration sorted he could yet be the answer. & if my auntie had a ****, etc, etc...

Re: Bendtner, I quite rate him because he reminds me (in style of play) of my beloved Smudger (not as far as personalities go tho, Smithy was and is the world's soundest bloke and Nicklas clearly rates Nicklas a little too much) in that he's best with his back to the goal and has a good touch for a big bloke, but I'm not convinced he's a Wenger type of player. Arsene likes pace in his forwards (Wright, Anelka, Henry,Wiltord, Walcott) and that's something that Bendtner obvious lacks.
You're probably right, but I hope to god that doesn't happen, unless he has improved drastically I would rate him as a worse player than Djourou.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
First of all, Owen has either been injured/rubbish all year, so Newcastles plight has nothing much to do with this.
Second, Capello's decision not to pick Owen hardly looks like the wrong decision, even with hindsight.

Owen was not rubbish all year & Newcaslt did have a slight period where they where playing some good football.

Kindly use this ling to follow what i'm saying

Yes, so i got it right now Owen was not picked for the WCQ vs Andorra/Croatia because Capello was saying if im correct. Given ENG situation ATT (still not knowing that the best team is), many where surprised at that decision. But in some way Capello was vindicated since the season had just started & Owen had done much with in Newcastle opening fixtures vs United, Arsenal & Bolton.

Come the next qualifier vs Kazakstan/Belarus on mid Oct. Owen was out injured

The the friendly vs Germany on novemeber 19 when Rooney was out injured. Owen & Newcastle was having a very decent run - in 12 games, lost 3, won 5, draw 4. Most notably you can say keeping chelsea to a 0-0. Owen should have been picked then.

The difference between the Owen then was that he was fitter, and in better form, and hadn't played terribly on the odd occasion he actually made it onto the pitch.
Its clear you haven't been paying keen enough attention to Owen then...

Owen can never play as a target man simply because he cannot hold up the ball, Owen's main asset is his finishing, using him as a target man would make him totally innefectual due to his lack of size and physical presence, Heskey, who you mentioned, is much more suited to doing this, as is Peter Crouch.
I was not suggesting Owen should play as a target man. I was saying Owen if picked would be back-up to Rooney. The likes of Bent, C Cole or Crouch would be the back-up target man to Heskey.

Whethe or not Capello doesn't rate him deep down is pretty irrelevant, it's not like Owen has done a single thing to justify his inclusion in the England side.
What??? If a coach doesn't rate you for some reason even when you are performing that has a HUGE impact, on his selection.

Aragones didn't rate Raul any longer going into Euro 2008 & wasn't picked. Even now i'd say he he still deserves to be in the international squad as back-up to Torres/Villa.

Sven for some odd reaosn didn't rate McManaman & didn't pick him for WC 02. Sinclair was picked & although did well, that was crazy from Sven.

Domenech didn't pick Guily for WC 06 & luckily for France Zidance was magical & Ribery came of age. So that crazy selection was masked.

Since the Croatia game, given how fantastic Rooney has been - their has been no reason to pick Owen.

But when he was scoring, when the magpies had a little decent run going. His excuses was of a coach who doesn't rate him.

All i'm saying is come the WC if Rooney was to go down (god forbid), even if Owen is pretty much a goal-poacher these days - fact is at internationa level he will find the net. Defoe wont nor the target men.

At least Stewart Downing played nearly an entire season and was a standout performer for Middlesbrough, I don't rate Downing at all but at least there are some justifications for his selection.
Nonsense Middlesbrough where worst than Newcastle most of the time, they didn't even have a decent run at any point of the season. Use that same site & tell me how much goals Downing scored.

Capello consistently picked Downing because well its pretty clear, he is a left-footer he probably impresses in training. No way should he have kept Young out of the team or even Matt Taylor - if as it seemed he wanted a natural left-footed player in the squad.

Similarly, just because a team is failing doesn't mean that a players individual form will suffer, had Owen had a good season for Newcastle whether or not they were relegated would have nothing to do with him playing for England, the reason he hasn't been selected for England is because he played poorly, not because Newcastle were poor.
Already explained this above...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a fan of Owen, FWIW. The trouble is he's nearly 30 (will be in December IIRC), has an awful lot of miles on the clock as he's been playing since he was 16/17, a chequered (being very generous) fitness history and has looked slow & off the pace when I've seen him in his brief cameos for Newcastle. At his age there's a tendancy to view such dips in form as signs of terminal decline rather than a blip.
He definately is passed his best. But since Owen returned from that horrific injury after the WC he has looked slow. People where questioning his fitness since then & he manged to shut a few doubters up with some of the performances in EURO qualifying.

As Capello rightfully suggest he is basically a goal-poacher these days, and has newcastle plumited at the back end of last season given his new style of play - added to the lack of productivity from the mid-field it made him look bad.

If he really wanted to play for an upper-middle Prem team (Villa, Toffees, Citeh, T*ttenham) he'd surely be confident enough in his fitness/form to agree a pay-to-play deal? The fact he won't could be read that he's not convinced himself.
I'm not so sure. Even Chelsea gave Makelele a one-year contract deal during his last days at the club & it was clear he was passed it. (Yes i know Makele's role was farrr less taxing on the legs than Owen, but u see what im saying). Its a disrespectful deal...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Second, Capello's decision not to pick Owen hardly looks like the wrong decision, even with hindsight.

Owen was not rubbish all year & Newcaslt did have a slight period where they where playing some good football.

Kindly use this ling to follow what i'm saying

Yes, so i got it right now Owen was not picked for the WCQ vs Andorra/Croatia because Capello was saying if im correct. Given ENG situation ATT (still not knowing that the best team is), many where surprised at that decision. But in some way Capello was vindicated since the season had just started & Owen had done much with in Newcastle opening fixtures vs United, Arsenal & Bolton.

Come the next qualifier vs Kazakstan/Belarus on mid Oct. Owen was out injured

The the friendly vs Germany on novemeber 19 when Rooney was out injured. Owen & Newcastle was having a very decent run - in 12 games, lost 3, won 5, draw 4. Most notably you can say keeping chelsea to a 0-0. Owen should have been picked then.

Its clear you haven't been paying keen enough attention to Owen then...

I was not suggesting Owen should play as a target man. I was saying Owen if picked would be back-up to Rooney. The likes of Bent, C Cole or Crouch would be the back-up target man to Heskey.

What??? If a coach doesn't rate you for some reason even when you are performing that has a HUGE impact, on his selection.

Aragones didn't rate Raul any longer going into Euro 2008 & wasn't picked. Even now i'd say he he still deserves to be in the international squad as back-up to Torres/Villa.

Sven for some odd reaosn didn't rate McManaman & didn't pick him for WC 02. Sinclair was picked & although did well, that was crazy from Sven.

Domenech didn't pick Guily for WC 06 & luckily for France Zidance was magical & Ribery came of age. So that crazy selection was masked.

Since the Croatia game, given how fantastic Rooney has been - their has been no reason to pick Owen.

But when he was scoring, when the magpies had a little decent run going. His excuses was of a coach who doesn't rate him.

All i'm saying is come the WC if Rooney was to go down (god forbid), even if Owen is pretty much a goal-poacher these days - fact is at internationa level he will find the net. Defoe wont nor the target men.

Nonsense Middlesbrough where worst than Newcastle most of the time, they didn't even have a decent run at any point of the season. Use that same site & tell me how much goals Downing scored.

Capello consistently picked Downing because well its pretty clear, he is a left-footer he probably impresses in training. No way should he have kept Young out of the team or even Matt Taylor - if as it seemed he wanted a natural left-footed player in the squad.

Already explained this above...
Can't be bothered to reply to any of that because its just all wrong.

And btw, that link is to some site all in German, sort it out.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Can't be bothered to reply to any of that because its just all wrong.

And btw, that link is to some site all in German, sort it out.
WTF, yo get away from the bloodclathh computer. You post your riduculement of Owen i respond & thats the all you can say, haaa. Look if ya cant handle the heat come out the kitchen.

The name of the site is football-lineups.com, you should be able to find your way around hopefully...