• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Strikes me as a bit petit for a centre-half, which has been our problem since big Sol got emotionally interesting. In fact Vermaelen plays left-back almost as often. We need someone who can command the box at set-pieces and (whilst I'd be happy to be wrong) don't think he's it.

Bye bye Kolo tho.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A record Wenger spend on a defender right now. His previous biggest one was the free transfer(massive sign on fee though) for BFS. He'll add some leadership and organisation to our backline from what I've read which is something we've missed once Keown and Campbell both left.

Happy enough Arsene finally seems to want to spend on defensive players. Now for a ball winner please. Another season of Denilson and Song will kill me.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A record Wenger spend on a defender right now. His previous biggest one was the free transfer(massive sign on fee though) for BFS.
A little misleading - for all intents and purposes he spent £15m+ on William Gallas, it was just packaged as whatever Ashley Cole was worth minus £5m.

duffer

A little misleading - for all intents and purposes he spent £15m+ on William Gallas, it was just packaged as whatever Ashley Cole was worth minus £5m.
Haha, but he never actively pursued Gallas, apparently it was them trying to play hardball with Chelsea and they panic bit at the end of the window.

Just what Arsenal need, another defender shorter than 6' and not willing to go in hard at the behest of his own safety (from the 5 or 6 games I saw of Ajax this season).

Welcome kind sir! Would you mind talking your brother into a plane ride? :ph34r:
Wiki says he's 6'1, but I don't believe two inches is all that important if he's a smart enough defender with a leap.

As said before, you guys are welcome to Kolo, hopefully someone will be daft enough to take Silvestre and Adebayor from us too. You guys up for it?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, looked taller to me. Possibly due to - as Brumby mentioned - his relatively slight frame.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would be short term option, but is French and Wenger's tried to sign him before when he was at Leeds & Everton, so certainly seen more outlandish rumours.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Roma?s Julio Baptista: I?m Not Interested In Manchester City - Goal.com

Don't care about the article, he's ****, but lol'd hard at one of the lines in the article.

That Article said:
"Roma missed out on Champions League qualification and will instead compete in the inaugural Europa League, in which they may meet Manchester City, the club after Baptista's signature."
Um, not a high chance of meeting us in the Europa League I don't think...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wenger's back with £15m for fiery Felipe | Mail Online

Please, please, please do it Wenger.

IN : Vermaelen / Chamakh / Melo

OUT : Adebayor / Silverstre; possibly Toure / Eboue.
Surprising reporter for that piece. Still he's got to do something to pass the time of day during his rehab I suppose. :ph34r:

Also had quiet chuckle at this headline: "From the next Becks to Spurs flop - the rise and fall of Aston Villa target David Bentley" Tee, hee, & indeed, hee.

As the old man used to say: God doesn't pay his debts with money. :cool:

duffer

Forget being a very solid player in an area of need for us, I'd sign him for his name alone. Can't go wrong with a Melo.

EDIT: Can see Arsene looking at Dacourt too:

French : check
****e: check
Cheap: check

This year's Silvestre

Last edited:

grecian

Just bought my train tickets to Leeds, if Sky put it on the telly, I'll cancel my subscription.:@

duffer

Looking at our late January to mid february fixtures:

January
Sat Jan 16 Bolton Wanderers A
Wed Jan 20 Carling Cup Semi-Final (2)
Sat Jan 23 F.A. Cup 4
Wed Jan 27 Aston Villa A
Sat Jan 30 Manchester United H

February
Sat Feb 6 Chelsea A
Tue Feb 9 Liverpool H
Sat Feb 13 F.A. Cup 5
Feb 16/17/23/24 UEFA Champions League Knockout Round 1L

Really not an ideal time to be losing 4 potential starters(Greedy, Eboue, Kolo and Song) to the ACN. An injury or two and our squad could be struggling with some huge games in the pipeline. Really need to bring in a couple of midfielders and possibly a squad striker.