• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Would be hugely ironic if he ended up at North after the shennigens at the beginning of his career.

btw he was never a Kangaroo - he signed an illegal deal as a naive 17 year old because North - to their credit - identified him first and offered what seemed to a kid from Darwin playing juniors in Alberton to be a giant wad of cash. That deal had no validity so Collingwood, Geelong and all the others had as much right as any to have a crack - although strictly speaking I think they were all being dodgy in terms of trying to stitch up the Bears.

I think the "low pressure/expectations" thing is probably an argument AGAINST Bucks wanting to take the job - he's not the type to take what he would see as an easy option.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

I hope Collingwood win the flag now.
I've waxed overlong about Buckley in this thread before, but that picture encapsulates why I think he was the epitome of an AFL player, and why AFL players are amongst the most awesome atheletes around. Not only does Buckley appear to have been exposed to mutagen in that photo (expect him to walk around saying "Nathan SMASH Turtles"), but with that physique he could still run near to 20kms in a match, being tagged and scragged, competing in at the clinches, with disposal skills the equal of anyone in the comp.

Off to get some kleenex itbt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
lol, enjoy the Greg Miller dynasty, long it may live.

- Has huge respect for North, probably the best team over the course of his career.
- Has talked up our young list on more than one occasion (seems to have a better knowledge of us than anyone else in the media).
- Was a Kangaroo until Collingwood stepped in at the last minute.
- Low pressure/expections (small supporter base, small media profile).
- Eugene Arroca factor.
- We're not Richmond.
Sure, but you realise it won't be a battle between those 2 clubs only right?

And why deny that your club hasn't been on the same level playing field as other clubs, and that's put Laidley at a disadvantage? You can take pot shots at Richmond all you like, I don't care. Fact is, you have to make Bucks want to come to North by giving him a competitive coaching team and worthwhile resources around him.
I think the "low pressure/expectations" thing is probably an argument AGAINST Bucks wanting to take the job - he's not the type to take what he would see as an easy option.
Agreed.

Last edited:

Hoggy31

International Captain
Sure, but you realise it won't be a battle between those 2 clubs only right?

And why deny that your club hasn't been on the same level playing field as other clubs, and that's put Laidley at a disadvantage? You can take pot shots at Richmond all you like, I don't care. Fact is, you have to make Bucks want to come to North by giving him a competitive coaching team and worthwhile resources around him.

Agreed.
Oh ****, really?!

You made an unfounded comment about him having no reason to go to North, so I reeled off just a few of the reasons.
Did I ever deny anything about resources? alas resources aren't everything as we can see in Richmond's case, Collingwood's international airport hasn't exactly raked in the flags either. Our up-to-date facilities will be ready for next season anyway and the club has already pledged more money for the football dept.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh ****, really?!
My point is, before you started having a go at Richmond and talking about Greg Miller, that its not just a matter of Richmond vs. Roos. I reckon Port will definitely be looking for Buckley, and obviously Collingwood too.

So having a go at Richmond proves nothing really.
You made an unfounded comment about him having no reason to go to North, so I reeled off just a few of the reasons.
Did I ever deny anything about resources? alas resources aren't everything as we can see in Richmond's case, Collingwood's international airport hasn't exactly raked in the flags either. Our up-to-date facilities will be ready for next season anyway and the club has already pledged more money for the football dept.
I didn't realise I suggested Buckley had no reason to go to North in my post, but looking back at it, I did. I retract that. And yes Resources aren't everything, as your club itself has shown in previous years compared to my club's results. That's what makes North such a loved club by neutrals...

... but, if Buckley was given similar personnel that Laidley was given during his time, he'll have to say no (IMO of course) simply because there'll be no major upside, and he'll always be at a disadvantage. For someone who is so meticulous and professional in his approach about everything, I imagine that will be a turn-off.

For the record, if North were to get Buckley I would not be fussed, because I've always liked the club (mainly because my brother supported them so I'd go to many of their games, and witness Carey and Archer rip us apart) and I think Buckley alone would bring in sponsorship and members. I just don't think he'll go there.

If he went to Richmond, as awesome as it'd be, I'd hate to have to deal with Collingwood supporters either:

a) claiming some aspect of success if Buckley were to turn Richmond around
b) blaming Richmond for ruining the Buckley name, if we were to not do well.

Last edited:

Hoggy31

International Captain
Yeah, I never really said it was just between two clubs - just pointed out the fact we're not Richmond was an advantage. As I mentioned the new facilities are near completion and more money is being injected into the footy department each year to a point where it should be up to par next season i.e. he won't have 'Laidley-like' conditions. Agree that the greatest appeal for Buckley is the commercial side given where North is at.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To all North supporters here:

a) Do you reckon Brayshaw has done a good job for the club? (or perhaps better, has he done as well was you wanted/expected?)
b) Is Brent Harvey a better player for the Roos than Archer? If not yet, what does he have to do to surpass him?

Was just having a chat to some North supporter mates earlier today. Good discussion.

Hoggy31

International Captain
a) He's a gun, watch the presser yesterday to see just why he's where he is. His off-field moves seem the right ones at this stage although it's probably too early to tell. Can stick up for the club and not be a dick (Kennett), gifted with eloquence.

b) Tough call, probably Harvey just for being the more gifted player although Archer's courage could influence games just as much as Harvey's brilliance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah someone's obviously taking the piss.

But still, Tambling has been very good in the last month. Just hope he kicks on. The comparisons to Franklin must be such a weight on his shoulders.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
One good season and suddenly the media started suggesting Buddy might be the most talented player to ever play the game :laugh::laugh:

:clown:'s

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Actually think that's not a ridiculous call. He's a freak. Most talented obviously different question to "consistent", "great", etc.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Differently talented, but also possibly more. I think you could at least make a reasonable argument for that to be the case, so as I said, I don't think its a ridiculous comment to make.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah not ridiculous, but then I guess one must argue what talent is. Some may argue that doing what Buckley and Harvey did for a decade, i.e. consistency, is also a talent.

By the definition you are using, he's definitely up there though. Skills, agility and strength. He's amazing.

I don't want to act like I "picked him early" or anything, but the first game I saw him play was Richmond vs. Hawthorn round 2 2005, and I saw him take a contested mark, and knew he was pretty talented. It still sticks out to me today.

This then resulted in me choosing him in my Dream Team for 2006, and the Hawks didn't play him for like the first 7 rounds or so for disciplinary reasons. I thus didn't choose him in 2007, and he was a ****ing gun that year. Screw you Buddy, lol.

Same **** happened with Steve Johnson. Backed him to come good in 2006, considering the wraps on him and talent he had. Instead was disciplined for being a dick. 2007 is his break-out year where he rips it, and I didn't choose him.

I also had Aker in 2006, where he was dumped from Brisbane by Leigh Matthews, and Nick Davis, who was also disciplined by Sydney.

Important when you're choosing your team not to choose too many wankers, it can result in big issues if they all act like dicks at the same time .:ph34r:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

Reckon you always love the players you saw and rated in their first couple of games more than any others. Medhurst has been like that for me. Caught one of his very early games for the Dockers and liked it and then always wanted him to do well. Was very hopeful when they brought him across as a deal-topper for Tarrant and it's been gun how he's seized his second chance.

Phil Matera was another one like that for me. Actually, seemed to have a concerning affection for small West Australian forwards back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.