• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fair enough, will plead ignorance. 2007 is year zero as far as me following AFL even slightly goes. I suppose with the teams only playing 22 games it's more of a lottery depending on the draw too.

Not trying to be a prick either, just pointing out that to the outsider Geelong not being champions seems a bit odd.
Nah I get your point. The ultimate argument IMO is the way the EPL do things, compared to the NBA, compared to the AFL.

The NBA sort of have the happy medium. Difference of course is you could never have a best of 7 (or even 5) in footy because of the physical toil (unless you severely shortened the finals).
Also 1/2 versus 6/4 is warm favourites IMHO. :p
Yeah fair enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just watched the highlights of the second half between Hawthorn and Brisbane.

FFS Hawthorn, handball the ball towards your goal you rejects. Midfield was God awful.
Ah, wow put your house on Hawks now. With Drummond out too you can't see the Lions getting up in Tassie. Brown would have to rip them apart, and Black and Power would have to dominate as well.
Well, Brown, Black and Power were awesome.

What's amazing about Brisbane is that Mitch Clark went down. They had Brennan rucking and they still won by 7 goals. Amazing.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
FFS Gilham is the most overrated player in the comp, Croad is a massive loss but Gilham is lucky to be playing AFL.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Rucks are overrated tbh. Half the time when the ruckman gets the hit out, their team fails to get the clearance anyway.

[/poor AFL knowledge]

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Rucks are overrated tbh. Half the time when the ruckman gets the hit out, their team fails to get the clearance anyway.

[/poor AFL knowledge]
i think the problem is those guys that always go after the ball but dont get it because if they dont get it they cant kick goals and then their team loses i think theys guys are the problem with aFL

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Think rucks often appear ineffectual but it becomes very noticeable if one side has a really good ruck division and the other is poor. Collingwood's lose to Geelong in the 07 Prelim is probably a classic illustration. It was described later on as being similar to fighting a war with air superiority. When it's a contest it might seem like they do little but you get hurt if you don't contest it.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
FFS Gilham is the most overrated player in the comp, Croad is a massive loss but Gilham is lucky to be playing AFL.
Bit harsh on Gilham. He's no champion, but he's alright and was one of the lesser lights who lifted to help Hawthorn improve last year. By himself, it's not a huge loss, but on top of Croad, and obv. Hodge it's definitely hurt them.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Should just appear from an underground ball storage vent at a random location. Like one of those whacking games.

howardj

International Coach
Yep, the tectonic plates are shifting on the coaching front.

As well as the Laidley development, my Adelaide operatives tell me that Hardwick is certain to replace Choc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The club would have to actually give Bucks some reason to go to North.

Giving him a proper recruiting staff rather than one guy with a notepad may help.

Hoggy31

International Captain
lol, enjoy the Greg Miller dynasty, long it may live.

- Has huge respect for North, probably the best team over the course of his career.
- Has talked up our young list on more than one occasion (seems to have a better knowledge of us than anyone else in the media).
- Was a Kangaroo until Collingwood stepped in at the last minute.
- Low pressure/expections (small supporter base, small media profile).
- Eugene Arroca factor.
- We're not Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.