• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
^^ Worst follow up to a premiership since Collingwood in 91? Port weren't much chop in 05 IIRc.
From a pom's perspective, Hawthorn being the premiers is indicative of the problem I have with deciding the champions with a one-off final.

I know nothing about the nuances and intricacies of the sport, but even I could see Geelong were head and shoulders above anything else in 2008. Lost twice (I think) all season? Seems unfair to me they're not the champions.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Adelaide 5th now. Run home is pretty tough though, will need to win a few of the easier games straight after the break to finish top 4. Very good signs for the next couple of years though.

pasag

RTDAS
From a pom's perspective, Hawthorn being the premiers is indicative of the problem I have with deciding the champions with a one-off final.

I know nothing about the nuances and intricacies of the sport, but even I could see Geelong were head and shoulders above anything else in 2008. Lost twice (I think) all season? Seems unfair to me they're not the champions.
Honestly, that 'one day in September' is the best thing about the sport. I have never even see anyone propose for it to be anything different.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Honestly, that 'one day in September' is the best thing about the sport. I have never even see anyone propose for it to be anything different.
I guess if you've grown up with it's hard to imagine it any other way.

Coming from a background where the league is the the league and the cup is the cup and n'er the twain it seems an uncomfortable mix of the both.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I guess if you've grown up with it's hard to imagine it any other way.

Coming from a background where the league is the the league and the cup is the cup and n'er the twain it seems an uncomfortable mix of the both.
Well, the World Champions in the round-ball code are crowned after four knock-out games. Seems to work.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
^^ Worst follow up to a premiership since Collingwood in 91? Port weren't much chop in 05 IIRc.
Collingwood didn't do that badly in '91. They only missed the finals by half a game and finished 7th. Essendon finished 10th in '94, and Adelaide finished 13th in '99.

Hoggy31

International Captain
**** me, the skills at crucial stages were shocking. Had our chances, Adelaide took theirs, thought general play was closer than the scoreboard indicated. Bewick should be sacked, worst forward set-up in the comp, bomb it in and get killed at ground level seems to be the only instruction down there (no Matty Campbell all year hasn't helped) but they haven't looked like trying anything different all year. Have the defence to build a premiership team around though, Gibson, Hansen and Thompson in particular are class.

Adelaide to go deep, Neil Craig confirming why he's the best coach around.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

No way did people see Geelong as head and shoulders above Hawthorn going into the GF. Plenty of people rated the Hawks at least some chance. The Hawks were awesomely fit and awesomely hungry last year - everything they ain't this year.

By that rationale, should Wimbleton or the World Cup Final be a series of matches?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No way did people see Geelong as head and shoulders above Hawthorn going into the GF. Plenty of people rated the Hawks at least some chance. The Hawks were awesomely fit and awesomely hungry last year - everything they ain't this year.

By that rationale, should Wimbleton or the World Cup Final be a series of matches?
I'd be interested to know what the spread for the GF was. Can't recall, but I'm imagining Geelong were warm favs.

& Wimbledon and the world cup are tournaments rather than season long competitions. If they were season long I suspect, in the case of the world cup at least, we'd have more worthy world champions generally.

Not saying the AFL's system is wrong, but I don't think there's any argument that the EPL's is fairer and more rewards consistency over a season.

& obviously the reverse to that is that the AFL's system is more exciting and means teams have to peak at the right moment. I'm just offering a different perspective here.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see another win from the Crows! Sounds like Porplyzia had a solid game in tough conditions. Looking a decent shout to finish in the top eight though there's still a long way to go.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd be interested to know what the spread for the GF was. Can't recall, but I'm imagining Geelong were warm favs.
Not really. 1.50 Geelong, 2.50 Hawthorn. There have been bigger upsets in a Grand Final.

The greatest team in recent times, the Brisbane Lions, didn't finish on top of the ladder in a couple of their premiership years. Everyone (everyone!) would say they were the best team. Better than Port, better than Collingwood and better than St Kilda.

The one time Hawthorn played Geelong before the GF, Hawthorn ran them bloody close, and only Luke Hodge having a 5 minute nightmare cost them the game.

Also, Hawthorn have had injuries. The Hawthorn last year before finals won 17 and lost 5. Geelong won 21 and lost 1. Not that big a difference to be honest. Geelong beat their preliminary final team (Bulldogs) a lot less convincingly than Hawthorn beat theirs (St Kilda).

Redbacks

International Captain
After all the clubs could study the video over the off season, Zone defence in no longer as big an advantage for the Hawks. The bombers showed the way to beat it and the personel down back wasn't good enough to stop the easy UC possies from kicking over the back of the zone = easy goals

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Hodge is such a massive out for them - its become a media cliche, but he really is their general down back. And then add in Croad and Gillam out on top of that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not really. 1.50 Geelong, 2.50 Hawthorn. There have been bigger upsets in a Grand Final.

The greatest team in recent times, the Brisbane Lions, didn't finish on top of the ladder in a couple of their premiership years. Everyone (everyone!) would say they were the best team. Better than Port, better than Collingwood and better than St Kilda.

The one time Hawthorn played Geelong before the GF, Hawthorn ran them bloody close, and only Luke Hodge having a 5 minute nightmare cost them the game.

Also, Hawthorn have had injuries. The Hawthorn last year before finals won 17 and lost 5. Geelong won 21 and lost 1. Not that big a difference to be honest. Geelong beat their preliminary final team (Bulldogs) a lot less convincingly than Hawthorn beat theirs (St Kilda).
Fair enough, will plead ignorance. 2007 is year zero as far as me following AFL even slightly goes. I suppose with the teams only playing 22 games it's more of a lottery depending on the draw too.

Not trying to be a prick either, just pointing out that to the outsider Geelong not being champions seems a bit odd.

Also 1/2 versus 6/4 is warm favourites IMHO. :p

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
After all the clubs could study the video over the off season, Zone defence in no longer as big an advantage for the Hawks. The bombers showed the way to beat it and the personel down back wasn't good enough to stop the easy UC possies from kicking over the back of the zone = easy goals
Which just shows how stupid Freo were to spend half the season running and half the season training to use the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.