• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dravid was out to a horrendous shot as well. The fielder was at the boundary, so it was a high risk shot without much pay off as Gavaskar pointed out.

Xuhaib

International Coach
gr8 stuff to see the #8 from last year win this year.

Gilchrist was amazing and his team responded brilliantly in the crunch games.

Kumble was gr8 too but they juz choked in the final stages there... Taylor got out to a stupid shot and that was that. Time to understand that Uthappa is useless unless it is a belter with lowish bounce...
Uthappa was stuffed due to his batting position the lad should have been opening intead of Kallis.

R_D

International Debutant
Uthappa was stuffed due to his batting position the lad should have been opening intead of Kallis.
Na... Bangalore's been down that road; he only wastes balls and kills the momentum at start of the innings. They've tried him in middle order and opening... he's been useless in every position so they keep him low down as possible.

R_D

International Debutant
it was a good inning under pressure. he stayed till the end, built up some useful partnerships and helped his team give the bowlers something to bowl at. he held up his end when early wkts threatened to take Deccan out of the game. I thought most folks would appreciate such an inning in the context of the game esp w/ the benefit of hindsight .... if by great you mean that he single-handedly didn't take the game away from BRC, didn't time each and every ball perfectly and so on then you are right!
Yeah thats it... people use the word great too easily..... in hindsight it was a good innings but otherwise it would be considered an average inning.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Na... Bangalore's been down that road; he only wastes balls and kills the momentum at start of the innings. They've tried him in middle order and opening... he's been useless in every position so they keep him low down as possible.
Just watched the Semi's and the Finals so no idea how he went about the last I watched the kid he was a pretty good smacker.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bet on Chennai next year - Hayden is next recipient of IPL Trophy under Aussie Legends rotational policy

pasag

RTDAS
Uthappa has to be traded.

I think the main difference between the two teams last night was Praveen, he just bottled it. The five wides he bowled was pretty much the losing margin.

Still, so many positives to come out of the tournament. They've always had capable players, but it's the team spirit that's been missing and under Kumble they've really done a complete reversal there.

Very proud of the Aussies as well. Two out of two winning IPL captains, two out of two MOTS and two out of two leading run scorers.

R_D

International Debutant
Just watched the Semi's and the Finals so no idea how he went about the last I watched the kid he was a pretty good smacker.
Yeah i remember those times..... he could whack it a fair bit. He was awesome in T20 in SA. Don't know whats happened to him. Just can't hit the ball.... was pretty awful in IPL last season as well. Ever since he started becoming all ****y onfield... his batting as gone downhill.

R_D

International Debutant
Hey, didn't they swap Zaheer for Uthappa? It's difficult to conceive of a worse deal...
:laugh: so true.
Although i thought Delhi got a raw deal when they swapped Shikar Dhawan for Nehra... in hindsight it wasn't such a bad deal for Delhi. Nehra had a decent series while Dhawan barely got any chances to play at Mumbai.

ret

International Debutant
"This one's right up there with winning World Cups."

Andrew Symonds reckons IPL 2009 ranks alongside Australia's World Cup victories

source: cricinfo

Looks like Symo is pleased with the win :)

biased indian

International Coach
The deal was mainly to free up money for KP though.
how come ??? i think they had to shell out more money for Uthappa.Bangalore purchased Zaheer for a US$450,000 in last year's auction, Mumbai paid $850,000 for Uthappa.

Havent heard any where that uthappa agredd for a pay cut

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
how come ??? i think they had to shell out more money for Uthappa.Bangalore purchased Zaheer for a US$450,000 in last year's auction, Mumbai paid $850,000 for Uthappa.

Havent heard any where that uthappa agredd for a pay cut
You kidding me Uthappa was on that much? I knew he was a Indian international at that time but **** me dead. That pretty stupid money. There goes that theory out the window. Though he does balance out the side better then when they had Khan. van der Merwe made a huge difference to that balance. But rather Uthappa and Vinay Kumar, then say Akil and Zaheer Khan. Didn't they also buy Pankaj Singh as part of the Zaheer trade, who was a some decent dosh at the other Royals. Lucky they got some cheap internationals to make up for their expensive Indian domestic players.

ret

International Debutant
The deal was mainly to free up money for KP though.
It was probably because Mallya was shopping for a 'proper' T20 batsman. He went on a shopping spree and got Uthappa, KP and Ryder too!

But unfortunately for him, none of them were that successful

Smith

Banned
Am still sceptical about Dravid's role as a T20 batsman. He was one of the main reasons BRC lost the finals, by dropping a sitter of Symonds first and then making a slow 9 off 13 balls when the RR was around 8. He is become a liability on the field and is of no great value than an ordinary Indian youngster as a batsman.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cried tears of joy when we traded Uthappa for Zaheer. Shame the season didn't go so well but I found my team far more likeable because of the trade.

ret

International Debutant
Am still sceptical about Dravid's role as a T20 batsman. He was one of the main reasons BRC lost the finals, by dropping a sitter of Symonds first and then making a slow 9 off 13 balls when the RR was around 8. He is become a liability on the field and is of no great value than an ordinary Indian youngster as a batsman.
his game has deteriorated but he is still competitive