• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

ret

International Debutant
Under 23 - Rohit

Orange cap - Hayden

Purple cap - RP

Fairplay - K11

Golden player of the league - Gilly

ret

International Debutant
I still stand by it.... it was hardly a great innings..... Great bowling performance by the bowlers though...... Congrats to Deccan.. well played.
it was a good inning under pressure. he stayed till the end, built up some useful partnerships and helped his team give the bowlers something to bowl at. he held up his end when early wkts threatened to take Deccan out of the game. I thought most folks would appreciate such an inning in the context of the game esp w/ the benefit of hindsight .... if by great you mean that he single-handedly didn't take the game away from BRC, didn't time each and every ball perfectly and so on then you are right!

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it was a good inning under pressure. he stayed till the end, built up some useful partnerships and helped his team give the bowlers something to bowl at. he held up his end when early wkts threatened to take Deccan out of the game. I thought most folks would appreciate such an inning in the context of the game esp w/ the benefit of hindsight .... if by great you mean that he single-handedly didn't take the game away from BRC, didn't time each and every ball perfectly and so on then you are right!
It was a pretty good innings. I don't think playing like that is ideal- at one stage he was something like 18 off 30, and if he had got out then it would have seriously damaged the team cause. But he didn't, so good innings. Was a risk that came off.

ret

International Debutant
It was a pretty good innings. I don't think playing like that is ideal- at one stage he was something like 18 off 30, and if he had got out then it would have seriously damaged the team cause. But he didn't, so good innings. Was a risk that came off.
I liked his partnership w/ Rohit .... they took 20 runs in an over to bring DC back on track

Uppercut

I liked his partnership w/ Rohit .... they took 20 runs in an over to bring DC back on track
But if Gibbs hadn't let the run rate drop so horrendously they wouldn't have needed such a shocking over from Pkumar to get back on track.

Not that i'm saying what Gibbs did was bad. It was a good innings, really. But it wasn't one of the best. Gilly's yesterday was possibly the best knock the IPL has seen.

ret

International Debutant
But if Gibbs hadn't let the run rate drop so horrendously they wouldn't have needed such a shocking over from Pkumar to get back on track.

Not that i'm saying what Gibbs did was bad. It was a good innings, really. But it wasn't one of the best. Gilly's yesterday was possibly the best knock the IPL has seen.
lol, you are right. he shouldn't have allowed the rr to drop, taken a risk of getting out when B'lore bowlers were bowling well and potentially expose the line up rather than playing out through a tense period and then picking up on the weak bowler of the inning!

I can see your point but you have to realize that if Gibbs had taken a risk earlier than he did it would not have guaranteed success. he could have gotten got when B'lore bowlers were bowling well and exposed others to a tense situation. at 63/3, it was more sensible to build a partnership for 3-4 overs and then take the attack when someone who is not bowling that well came on. 63/3 could easily have become 85/5 and then 125 all out

I am not claiming that Gibbs inning was one of the best in the tourney but it was probably the most effective one of the day in a sense that an inning like that made a difference in the end! And don't forget that the innings that Gilly played was on a different pitch. Next best score was 33 by Symo but that didn't last long. those who tried to play extravagant knocks didn't last long enough to play an inning that would make a difference. when you judge innings you have to judge them from the context of the game. it is so easy to criticize!

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
Gilchrist getting MOTS is a bit of a joke.
yes, I was surprised too when he got it but in the end could understand why he got it, i.e. for being the 2nd highest run getter, having the most dismissals [iirc] and captaincy

who do you think should have got that?

pasag

RTDAS
yes, I was surprised too when he got it but in the end could understand why he got it, i.e. for being the 2nd highest run getter, having the most dismissals [iirc] and captaincy

who do you think should have got that?
Hayden

Uppercut

lol, you are right. he shouldn't have allowed the rr to drop, taken a risk of getting out when B'lore bowlers were bowling well and potentially expose the line up rather than playing out through a tense period and then picking up on the weak bowler of the inning!

I can see your point but you have to realize that if Gibbs had taken a risk earlier than he did it would not have guaranteed success. he could have gotten got when B'lore bowlers were bowling well and exposed others to a tense situation. at 63/3, it was more sensible to build a partnership for 3-4 overs and then take the attack when someone who is not bowling that well came on. 63/3 could easily have become 85/5 and then 125 all out

I am not claiming that Gibbs inning was one of the best in the tourney but it was probably the most effective one of the day in a sense that an inning like that made a difference in the end! And don't forget that the innings that Gilly played was on a different pitch. Next best score was 33 by Symo but that didn't last long. those who tried to play extravagant knocks didn't last long enough to play an inning that would make a difference. when you judge innings you have to judge them from the context of the game. it is so easy to criticize!
Of course, you can't come out and try to hit every ball for six. Sometimes teams will generally go for too much and end up with too little. At the moment there's a bit too much defensive cricket in T20, i think.

I think it's important to remember are that a quick innings is pretty much always better than a slow one of the same score (there are very rare exceptions). That tends to be forgotten fairly often. Looking at the ODI in Bristol earlier today as an example, Gayle scored more than Chanderpaul- and at a much quicker rate- but somehow got criticised much more heavily for his innings than Shiv did. Scoring quickly early on releases the pressure on the rest of the team and lets them feel their way in, particularly in T20 cricket. Most collapses in that format result from batsmen scoring too slowly early on and everyone else having to score at a run-a-ball from the moment they arrive at the crease just to stay with the RRR.

The other thing that's often forgotten is that just because you don't hit doesn't mean you won't lose your wicket. When players try to bat through, the majority of the time they get out anyway.

I take your point, of course. There's a balance to be found, and it has to be done in context with the quality of bowling. I'd just say that at the moment, in Twenty20s at least, teams err more often on the defensive side than on the aggressive side.

ret

International Debutant
yes, he would have been a good choice too. But he got awarded w/ the orange cap for that. I guess, they looked in to how a player did in various departments rather than just one.

Other contender would have been Kumble for picking up 21 wkts [second to RP's 23], along with good leadership skills. I guess, if BRC had won Kumble would have got that

Uppercut

Didn't quite do the job in the crunch game though, was the problem with Hayden. Gilly played one of the greatest T20 innings of all time to get his side past the semis. Sure he got a duck in the final, but that stumping of Kohli off Symonds was both incredibly skilful and match-changing.

As second-top run scorer of the tournament- with the incredible strike rate of 152- while still keeping wicket so well and captaining his side to winning the whole tournament, I'd have went for Gilly too.

pasag

RTDAS
Didn't quite do the job in the crunch game though, was the problem with Hayden. Gilly played one of the greatest T20 innings of all time to get his side past the semis. Sure he got a duck in the final, but that stumping of Kohli off Symonds was both incredibly skilful and match-changing.

As second-top run scorer of the tournament- with the incredible strike rate of 152- while still keeping wicket so well and captaining his side to winning the whole tournament, I'd have went for Gilly too.
Hayden was returning from injury, was a bit much to expect him to go all out coming back. Was hardly a choke.

Hayden was brilliantly consistent throughout the tournament. That is so rare in Twenty20s, to do the job again and again and again without fail, is something you rarley see. When it comes to complete dominance, no one in this tournment compares to him.

ret

International Debutant
Of course, you can't come out and try to hit every ball for six. Sometimes teams will generally go for too much and end up with too little. At the moment there's a bit too much defensive cricket in T20, i think.

I think it's important to remember are that a quick innings is pretty much always better than a slow one of the same score (there are very rare exceptions). That tends to be forgotten fairly often. Looking at the ODI in Bristol earlier today as an example, Gayle scored more than Chanderpaul- and at a much quicker rate- but somehow got criticised much more heavily for his innings than Shiv did. Scoring quickly early on releases the pressure on the rest of the team and lets them feel their way in, particularly in T20 cricket. Most collapses in that format result from batsmen scoring too slowly early on and everyone else having to score at a run-a-ball from the moment they arrive at the crease just to stay with the RRR.

The other thing that's often forgotten is that just because you don't hit doesn't mean you won't lose your wicket. When players try to bat through, the majority of the time they get out anyway.

I take your point, of course. There's a balance to be found, and it has to be done in context with the quality of bowling. I'd just say that at the moment, in Twenty20s at least, teams err more often on the defensive side than on the aggressive side.
I haven't seen that game in Bristol to be able to comment wisely on it. It makes me feel like a bench racer when I comment purely based on scorecards [but you have to do that at times]

If you had seen the game you would have realized that Deccan lost wkts when they played aggressive strokes and were put on a back foot by some good bowling and fielding. Once that happens, you have to build up a partnership. you can either do that by taking the attack to the opposition or playing without taking much chances. how you go abt it also depends up on your form, your playing style, conditions, pitch and so on. if you had seen the game, you would have realized that ppl who took too many chances didn't last that long enough to play a decisive knock

and as you remarked I am speaking from the context of the game and not based on generalizations

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Went to sleep with Royal Challengers just needing to show up to win............and wake up to see that they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory......well good to know that Mallya got stuffed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
gr8 stuff to see the #8 from last year win this year.

Gilchrist was amazing and his team responded brilliantly in the crunch games.

Kumble was gr8 too but they juz choked in the final stages there... Taylor got out to a stupid shot and that was that. Time to understand that Uthappa is useless unless it is a belter with lowish bounce...