• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Bowlers

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Will recycle this again, please. To put Wardle into some kind of perspective, have a gander at the list of the bowlers with the lowest test averages. Of all bowlers who played post-WW1 Wardle's average is the lowest for any who took 100 or more scalps.
The real problems with Wardle are that he got to play in an era of uncovered pitches and that he arguably didn't take enough scalps. I did say that he deserved some consideration. So does Neil Adcock, incidentally.

I think I'll go Pollock, Walsh, Miller, Wardle and Adcock from here on in. I'll ignore most of the late teen wonders, as most of them played during the late 1800's. I don't know where I'd fit Frank Tyson - he was brilliant, but only really played at his peak and didn't take many wickets.

Maximus0723

State Regular
The real problems with Wardle are that he got to play in an era of uncovered pitches and that he arguably didn't take enough scalps. I did say that he deserved some consideration. So does Neil Adcock, incidentally.

I think I'll go Pollock, Walsh, Miller, Wardle and Adcock from here on in. I'll ignore most of the late teen wonders, as most of them played during the late 1800's. I don't know where I'd fit Frank Tyson - he was brilliant, but only really played at his peak and didn't take many wickets.
We are only doing top 25.
only two spots left.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Will recycle this again, please. To put Wardle into some kind of perspective, have a gander at the list of the bowlers with the lowest test averages. Of all bowlers who played post-WW1 Wardle's average is the lowest for any who took 100 or more scalps.
The guy was phenomenally accurate. Forty percent of the overs he bowled were maidens and he has an economy rate of 1.89 ! I am eagerly awaiting his biography by Thomson - "Happy Go Johnny" should be arriving any day.

It must be said though that in two series he really bamboozled the Pakistans (20 wickets at 8.8) and South Africa (26 at 13,8). Sixty six of his 104 wickets came against these two sides at just 14.8. This does make his figures fantastic. They are not bad even othewrwise but not so spectacular.

adharcric

International Coach
Extremely close race between two of Bradman's contemporaries and a modern-day great who was at times overshadowed by McGrath.

adharcric

International Coach
Vote for #25 bowler of all-time

Here we go.

1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Sydney Barnes
3. Glenn McGrath
4. Curtly Ambrose
5. Richard Hadlee
6. Muttiah Muralitharan
7. Shane Warne
8. Dennis Lillee
9. Imran Khan
10. Bill O'Reilly
11. Wasim Akram
12. Fred Trueman
13. Waqar Younis
14. Joel Garner
15. Ray Lindwall
16. Jim Laker
17. Michael Holding
18. Fred Spofforth
19. Allan Donald
20. Clarrie Grimmett
21. George Lohmann
22. Alan Davidson
23. Andy Roberts
24. Shaun Pollock

The vote for the #25 bowler of all-time begins now.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
One last time. Seriously this has been my vote since about Round 14/15, don't think he will squeeze in either. Just can't imagine Bedser not making a greatest 25 considering the way his contemparies rated him.

Bedser

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed so. Wardle very unlucky to have his career co-incide with Laker & Lock; his record stands comparison to both of theirs and was argubaly the more versatile bowler than either, bowling orth(o)dox SLA and chinamen too.

1) KR Miller
2) JH Wardle
Sticking with this one final time.