• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

HRH Prince Phil of Macksville - WAG

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On 193 as I type, will be gutted if he doesn't make this.

Edit: Just noticed that Mark Ramprakash, playing for Surrey against Middlesex in this match, made his FC debut a year before Hughes was born :blink:

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 1989 batting looks stronger on paper (Gooch, Gower, Smith/Lamb, Broad), even though they didn't stick around too oftenn that series. Part of the problem was they often faced huge totals as our bowling was so useless.

I also think the current Aus bowling is stronger than 20 years ago, Alderman excepted.
Good point, forgot it was a 6-Test series.

Okay so he'll go past Tubs' total as it was before The Oval Test then. :D

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Just quietly smoked 57 off 46 balls in the chase for quick runs at The Oval.

Impressive. Very impressive. 5 innings, 3 centuries, 2 half-centuries, SR of 75.32. Tougher tests will come, but surely has announced himself as one of the key dangers in the upcoming Ashes.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
The 1989 batting looks stronger on paper (Gooch, Gower, Smith/Lamb, Broad), even though they didn't stick around too oftenn that series. Part of the problem was they often faced huge totals as our bowling was so useless.

I also think the current Aus bowling is stronger than 20 years ago, Alderman excepted.
Yeah, your bowling attack was utter cannon fodder during that series. They were especially hopeless against a young Steve Waugh, who scored 393 runs before being dismissed! I believe that Paul Jarvis was the worst of them.

I'm not so sure about your comment about Australia's bowling. I'll analyse them:
1) Alderman and Clark - Alderman, having been wretchedly unlucky with injury throughout the 1980's, took wickets at will during that series, befuddling the inflexible English batsmen with outswing. Clark doesn't swing the ball much and is kind of like an Angus Fraser-plus, which means that he is very effective when there is a little bit of seam movement, but merely economical and unpenetrative on flat decks.

2) Lawson and Johnson - Johnson is better at the moment, but Lawson was a good fast bowler. He'd be better if he wasn't injured frequently. He also had to lead a pretty weak Australian bowling attack during much of the 1980's. Johnson was also put in a similar position during the series with SA at home and shined.

I do think that Lawson is superior to Brett Lee overall, though. Lee got to bowl with McGrath, Gillespie and Warne and was still generally mediocre. Granted, when Brett Lee was good, he was brilliant. He has also shown that he can lead attacks with aplomb. Generally though, he's had a disappointing Test career.

3) Hughes and Siddle - Siddle's start has certainly been better than Merv's (who had a nightmarish debut) and Merv had yet to reach his peak in 1989 (despite taking 13 wickets against WI in 1988/89). Siddle is more gifted (indeed, Siddle is like a combo of both Merv and Craig McDermott), but both take wickets using sheer force of will as much as anything else.

4) Hilfenhaus > Campbell/Waugh/whoever else served as fourth seamer

There's nobody to really compare to Doug Bollinger, etc.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Against this english attack expecting hughes to have a 600 run series. In fact he's come into the Australian team at the perfect time, he won't have a serious test for a long time with Pakistan being the main home tour this year.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting that Philip Hughes hasn't done at all well in the 50-over stuff because he looks to be quite an attacking player, and also he's been so good so soon at FC level. Only 121 runs so far in five innings, and 74 of them were against Scotland who have been completely awful this season.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
He can play tests, Shaun Marsh can play ODIs, and as long as no-one gets confused about being good at one equates to deserving a spot in the other, we'll all be happy.

inbox24

International Debutant
So you think we should bin Hughes for life from ODIs then? Based on these few games?

Shaun Marsh is an utter failure who should be confined to the bin until he learns to score at an decent strike rate in ODIs against a good team.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think he should be asked to compromise his technical development in the longer game for the sake of developing as a limited overs player.

Marsh I don't really care about one way or another, but you're not afraid to make the big calls are you? He's done well enough in his very short career to date, I'd have suggested, when he's been fit. Averaging 43 with a strike rate a tick under 80 against a pretty good South Africa would seem to support this.