• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

HRH Prince Phil of Macksville - WAG

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Hughes, regardless of his extraordinary run of scores, is a tad over rated.

Don't get me wrong, he will be a crucial peg in Australia's Ashes machine. However his performances so far in the county cricket has come in Division 2.

Also, hopefully he has not peaked early in the season.
I think the hype is fed more by the fact he also spanked the South African side a couple of months ago and has been a successful batsman for his Seffield Shield side since, well, he played his first game, really.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Another ton for Hughes!

He is a really exciting prospect! I know there is a lot of hype and scoring a heap of runs in English country cricket doesn't automatically make him Bradman, but surely from here he can only improve? Even though he will no doubt have form slumps, I am hoping he will be great for years to come.

Right now, his average is 69.94, halfway through his 24th FC match. Hopefully he can keep pounding away here and get 200 or so.

In 15 years could we be looking back at Hughes as one of the best ever? I guess we'll have to wait 15 years and see, but I am pretty sure he will retire with a Hayden-like status at the very least.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really have a problem with him playing over here, I'm sure he'd do well in the Ashes whether he did or didn't. I'm undecided whether it would have been better to have him in Div1 though. In a way it would be better because he'd actually have to play decent bowlers, but I guess that's bad if it gets him improving against them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
four_or_six said:
- It would have been interesting to see what he was like against spin. However, the spinner came on and bowled him first ball. Cue lots of amusement in the crowd about Aussies not being able to play spin.
He had all sorts of problems against one particular CricketWeb member's leg spin as a schoolboy, apparently.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
If Watson or Symonds play they will destroy Swann, expecting Ponting to after him too, but his record versus off spin is a bit suspect. Can't wait for Hughes vs Broad, expecting the Princess to work himself into a right huff, "why aren't we playing on greentops" sort of thing.

inbox24

International Debutant
The only worry I have is that he's peaked too early and 'wasted' his good form. Irrational I know.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Phil Hughes to beat Mark Taylor's 839 runs in 1989 to be Aus's most successful first-time Ashes opener. Any takers?
Not convinced. Don't forget that Taylor had one more test than Hughes, who'll need almost 170 runs per test to beat MT's record. Given the state of England's batting, he'll need to get most of those in his first innings.

Craig

World Traveller
Not convinced. Don't forget that Taylor had one more test than Hughes, who'll need almost 170 runs per test to beat MT's record. Given the state of England's batting, he'll need to get most of those in his first innings.
So which batting line-up was stronger - this current mob or the one in 1989 (for England)?

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So which batting line-up was stronger - this current mob or the one in 1989 (for England)?
The 1989 batting looks stronger on paper (Gooch, Gower, Smith/Lamb, Broad), even though they didn't stick around too oftenn that series. Part of the problem was they often faced huge totals as our bowling was so useless.

I also think the current Aus bowling is stronger than 20 years ago, Alderman excepted.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cool, interesting. Swann v Hughes is going to be so key this summer. Will be an interesting one to watch.
His only failure so far this 'summer' came against an offie, Kent's James Tredwell and he didn't look too hot against Paul Harris. Food for thought as he seems to be smashing any sort of pace.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, Surrey seemed to want to test him out with spin. Otherwise why on earth has Murtaza Hussain bowled over a third of the over already? He has to be about the worst Kolpak player ever, do Surrey not have anything better than that?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well, Surrey seemed to want to test him out with spin. Otherwise why on earth has Murtaza Hussain bowled over a third of the over already? He has to be about the worst Kolpak player ever, do Surrey not have anything better than that?
His not Kolpak (can't be, his from Pakistan), Murtaza has a British passport. And to answer that question, no.